Speculation: Who was better-Fedorov or Datsyuk?

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
For me for the first 2/3 of his career in Detroit Fedorov was the best player I've ever seen without a retired number, and still was remarkably good until he left. Dats achieved almost as much with less and was more consistent.

If I want a player rely on for a whole season to carry things its Dats, who often made those around him a lot better and brought a certain level every game apart from his first 18 months and the last 18 months.

If I want a player for a series or a single game, its got to be Fedorov. Some nights he was just better than everyone on the ice by a distance... not as sneaky or perhaps as smart, but still super skillful with a heavy shot and the physical and skating attributes to make coaches drool. You could still see a young Dats sneak through to the 3rd or 4th round today due to size and late development. Today Fedorov would go top 3 or 4 even in the strongest drafts.

For a fan in the UK to have discovered the wings in Feds 2nd year and see basically his whole career, most of Lids, half of Stevie, the best of Shanny, the swansongs of Fetisov, Murphy, Chelios, Hasek, Rafalski, Coffey (to a degree), Lucky Luc, Brett Hull, almost all of the grind line, peak Kronner, the will of Hank, the smarts of The professor, the Vladinator, the playoff scoring of Slava Kozlov, the evolution of Homer and the whole of Dats' genius I have been so so lucky.

And more than willing to accept a bit of a downturn over the last 4 years or so and next few in all likelihood, particularly when we have the likes of Larkin, AA, Nike, Tats, Hank and a few of the kids pushing who even in the last season have provided golden moments.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Saw both players whole careers and would say Fedorov. Not taking anything away from Daytsuk. Both are hall of fame players. Fedorov was the most dominant complete force I have ever seen on the ice. The only dimension he didn't have to his game was physicality. Fedorov rarely hit with intention and of course didn't fight. Daytsuk IMO was a better hitter and had much better puck control. Feds often lost the puck simply because he played the game so fast, 90% of Russian 5 turnovers were probably Feds lol.

On defense they have different skill sets but I think are about equal in their contribution
Offense I would give the edge to Feds
Skating Fedorov for sure one of the most beautiful skaters of all time
Clutch scoring I would give to Feds
Handling and play making certainly Dayts

Fedorov's domination came from his physique, he was gifted and had that red army training discipline. Daytsuk's gifts were his hands and his creativity Both had speed but Fedorov had another gear. Fedorov powered the puck into the net, Daytsuk tricked it in.

A lot of people look at numbers and say Fedorov declined a lot after the wings but its not really true he always had the game breaking skill set he just went to much less stacked teams that often didn't make the playoffs where he lit up, and had reduced roles as he aged. He could still turn it on for example he has the record for oldest player to score a game 7 GWG in the playoffs.

Sameheda

Sep 28, 2011
Texas
Dats was more fun for me to watch, as he regularly created straight up magic on the ice. But Federov was just ridiculously good and was overall better offensively... so Fedorov.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Some interesting Fedorov records form Wiki
Most overtime points, career (27)
Previously tied the record for Regular season overtime goals (15)
First European-trained player to win the Hart Memorial Trophy
First Russian player to reach 1,000 NHL points
2nd-most goals by a Russian-born NHL player (483)
Largest single season amount paid to an NHL athlete ($28 million, 43 total games) (1997–98)[24]
Previously tied the record for "Fastest Skater" in the 1996 NHL All-Star Game SuperSkills Competition (13.510s '93 Gartner).
Oldest player in NHL history to score a Game 7 game-winning goal (39 years, 136 days), Washington vs New York (April 28, 2009).[4]

I am not sure how to look at this one but I noticed for the first time he had 4 straight 20+ point playoff seasons. There can not be many players that have done that. I looked up Gretzky and they had an early exit one season so never got 4 straight.

Was hoping for 500 goals, stupid hold out lol

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Fedorov was obviously a more dominant scorer and had better overall offensive instincts. Fedorov was also a far better overall skater than Datsyuk, and like Datsyuk did develop a well respected 2-way game.

Datsyuk was more fun to watch, had more creativity and better vision and playmaking abilities. Datsyuk also was a better defensive forward than Fedorov.

It's a tough question to answer. I think I'm in the minority here, but I will say Datsyuk was a more dominant overall player than Fedorov. I am biased though because Datsyuk is easily my favorite player of all time ahead of Yzerman.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I get the element of Datsyuk's dangles being incredible. I will say though honestly the single greatest thing I could watch in person at a hockey game for me was and looks likely to be forever watching Fedorov skate. Seriously could watch that all day long for as long as I have remaining on the earth and not be unhappy or bored for a second.

Fedorov's skating style and agility were breathtaking. Every time he hit the ice my eyes were glued to him for the shift. Not even the early years of Stevie made me do that. Fedorov is the only guy I can remember being trapped to watching when the puck was nowhere near him. So in that sense for me he was also more entertaining, not just better.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Pav is more endearing to fans and so that will get him some votes but I have a hard time seeing anybody who witnessed both in their prime hesitate to pick Fedorov. Pretty easy choice.

Dexter Colt

Oct 29, 2007
Mendham, NJ
Fedorov was the most talented Red Wing I have ever seen. He could skate, shoot, deke and defend at a crazy level.

Perhaps the only knock on him could be the mental side occasionally. I can't remember who said it, but it went something along the lines of "if you treat him like an important player, he will play like an important player". He often upped his game when Yzerman was out and he was the go-to-guy. Then he definitely played like a go-to-guy. And come playoffs, he always delivered no matter what.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Datsyuk has been my favorite player since his rookie year, but Fedorov was a better player. He had a power game that Pavel didn't, and at his peak he was a more dynamic offensive force because his power and skill combination was more effective than Pavel's dangles. Pavel was more fun to watch, but dangling is often not actually productive. Pavel never came close to the level Sergei reached in his Hart Trophy season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad