Who thinks it's going to be a long and frustrating season?

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
Any long term injuries to Tanev, Edler, Hamhuis and the probably will finish between 10-13. Our d-depth is the weak spot on the team. Worst fear is Benning overpaying with picks or prospects on a 6-7th guy to shore up the D.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Any long term injuries to Tanev, Edler, Hamhuis and the probably will finish between 10-13. Our d-depth is the weak spot on the team. Worst fear is Benning overpaying with picks or prospects on a 6-7th guy to shore up the D.

We presently have Biega, Fedun, Pedan as our 8th, 9th, and 10th... we are in a reasonable spot.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
We presently have Biega, Fedun, Pedan as our 8th, 9th, and 10th... we are in a reasonable spot.

We also have Sbisa as the "6". Any injuries to the top 5 will mean Sbisa will get more minute and we all know how that will end.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
We also have Sbisa as the "6". Any injuries to the top 5 will mean Sbisa will get more minute and we all know how that will end.

We'll see what developmental step he takes this yr...
Could end up being a good option for us to fill. .. like he was last yr when he stepped up to fill the void and played his best hockey.

I'm optimistic he'll be more consistent this yr.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

He is a 7 year vet. He has been in the league for 7 years (this year is the 7th). I am not sure what is hard to understand about this. He has a ton of experience and yet he hasn't changed one bit. He still does the same stupid **** he did from last year's preseason. Basically we are just hoping that he will suddenly "get it" despite not getting it for the last 6 years.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
The Canucks are a bubble team. They'll be there or thereabouts for a playoff spot. I figure they'll finish with between 90-95 points.

I think things are heading in a pretty positive direction though. It will certainly be frustrating for those predicting nothing but doom and gloom. It seems like it's more important to be "proven right" on the internet than it is to see your team do well, but that's up to them, I suppose.

arsmaster*

He is a 7 year vet. He has been in the league for 7 years (this year is the 7th). I am not sure what is hard to understand about this. He has a ton of experience and yet he hasn't changed one bit. He still does the same stupid **** he did from last year's preseason. Basically we are just hoping that he will suddenly "get it" despite not getting it for the last 6 years.

I admire some peoples blind optimism, but we've got 360+ NHL games to rate the guy.

He's a bad defender, bleeds goals against, is a career -41 (Reg season and playoffs) and averages 16 points per 82 games.

He's not a stay at home dman, so you'd hope he can actually provide some offense (he can't), he's a good skater but his passing skills are abysmal and his ability to process the game is slow.

I mean, I'm sure everyone here hopes the light bulb goes on, but the reality of the situation is, that he is what we thought he was, and he is what the Ducks thought he was (9th on their depth chart).

The whole point of turfing Garrison was because we were loaded on the LS, well, we still are, but now we're icing inferior talent. Sbisa makes everyone he plays with worse.

Glad they have chosen to keep him away from Hamhuis, as we don't need to erode his trade value like we did with Bieksa last season. But playing with Alex Edler is going to be a tire fire. Edler has never shown the ability to be a calming presence on his pairing....hope we don't turn AE back into what he showed under Torts.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I admire some peoples blind optimism, but we've got 360+ NHL games to rate the guy.

He's a bad defender, bleeds goals against, is a career -41 (Reg season and playoffs) and averages 16 points per 82 games.

He's not a stay at home dman, so you'd hope he can actually provide some offense (he can't), he's a good skater but his passing skills are abysmal and his ability to process the game is slow.

I mean, I'm sure everyone here hopes the light bulb goes on, but the reality of the situation is, that he is what we thought he was, and he is what the Ducks thought he was (9th on their depth chart).

The whole point of turfing Garrison was because we were loaded on the LS, well, we still are, but now we're icing inferior talent. Sbisa makes everyone he plays with worse.

Glad they have chosen to keep him away from Hamhuis, as we don't need to erode his trade value like we did with Bieksa last season. But playing with Alex Edler is going to be a tire fire. Edler has never shown the ability to be a calming presence on his pairing....hope we don't turn AE back into what he showed under Torts.

If the guy already has 360+ games, a smart (or any reasonable, logical GM) would project his future performance based on how he performed in the majority of those games, not based on like a 20-40 game sample where he was good.

If he sucked 80% of the time, then that is more likely what is going to happen. You don't look at the odd 20% and think, yeah this is the real him, especially when that 20% is littered throughout the 360+ game sample and doesn't provide any trend.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

Just need more of his good games from last yr and less of the bad ones...

I.e. consistency.

I'm one of those guys that are ol skool and believe a 25 yr old still has an outside shot of showing improvement playing the game.. no mayter how ridiculous thay may souND to some. :laugh:

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

I.e. consistency.

I'm one of those guys that are ol skool and believe a 25 yr old still has an outside shot of showing improvement playing the game.. no mayter how ridiculous thay may souND to some. :laugh:

He is very consistent, just consistently bad.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
He is very consistent, just consistently bad.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.

Exactly

I.e. consistency.

Any real life examples here of a #6 dman suddenly becoming better after such a large sample of games and on a pretty bad team to boot?

Sisba and defensive depth, heck goaltending is a huge problem too, will be our downfall this year.

If Tanev and/or Hamius miss time watch out.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
NOTexactly.
Downplay them all you want... he had few good runs of play last yr... One of em prompted an excited poster to start main board thread about him for his early Nov-ish run of good games... and then he really stepped up when injuries piled up in Feb-ish.

So he was by definition inconsistent.

Any real life examples here of a #6 dman suddenly becoming better after such a large sample of games and on a pretty bad team to boot?

Don't know... but we'll see what Luca Sbisa does.

Simply looking for an improvement in his ratio of good games vs bad ones.. He improved last yr as a 24/25 yr old vs when he was 23/24 the yr before... I don't see why he will not continue to improve as 25/26 yr old.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
NOTexactly.
Downplay them all you want... he had few good runs of play last yr... One of em prompted an excited poster to start main board thread about him for his early Nov-ish run of good games... and then he really stepped up when injuries piled up in Feb-ish.

So he was by definition inconsistent.

Don't know... but we'll see what Luca Sbisa does.

Simply looking for an improvement in his ratio of good games vs bad ones.. He improved last yr as a 24/25 yr old vs when he was 23/24 the yr before... I don't see why he will not continue to improve as 25/26 yr old.

Inconsistent would mean he is basically alternating good games with bad games and then a string of good games and then with a bad game squeezed in between.

Sbsia would have like 5-10 bad games and then like 1 "good" game. And by good, it's actually not good, it's just good based on the low standards and expectations he has set with his crap ass play.

I imagine that he is very consistent at being bad 80% bad and good 20% good in one season and you know what, that means he is a ****** player overall. I am generous with the 80%, it's more like 90 something % and then 100% in the postseason.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Inconsistent would mean he is basically alternating good games with bad games and then a string of good games and then with a bad game squeezed in between.

Sbsia would have like 5-10 bad games and then like 1 "good" game. And by good, it's actually not good, it's just good based on the low standards and expectations he has set with his crap ass play.

I imagine that he is very consistent at being bad 80% bad and good 20% good in one season and you know what, that means he is a ****** player overall. I am generous with the 80%, it's more like 90 something % and then 100% in the postseason.

Whatever you say...
We obviously evaluate the game differently... which is fine. I actually enjoy watching him play outside the pizzas.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Whatever you say...
We obviously evaluate the game differently... which is fine. I actually enjoy watching him play outside the pizzas.

I do too. Sbisa can be a tire fire but he's no casual Kev.

Casualness pisses me off more than pizzas.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Whatever you say...

Unfortunately those moments of pizzas happen all too frequently and every time it happens, it costs us goals.

Just look at game6, do you enjoy his moment of pizza that sparked Calgary's comeback or him being on the ice for like 50+% of the goals scored against us in that series?

He is good when he is not ****ing up is a stupid notion that can be applied to every player in the league.
That is the premise that separates good players vs bad players. Good players don't tend to be terrible most of the time.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Unfortunately those moments of pizzas happen all too frequently and every time it happens, it costs us goals.

Just look at game6, do you enjoy his moment of pizza that sparked Calgary's comeback or him being on the ice for like 50+% of the goals scored against us in that series?

He is good when he is not ****ing up is a stupid notion that can be applied to every player in the league.
That is the premise that separates good players vs bad players. Good players don't tend to be terrible most of the time.

Yup. Altho his couple of pizzas this preseason didn't end up in the back of the net... so either that's progress on his part or your hyperbole.

We'll see how he does this year. I'm optimistic. I think he'll easily earn his contract.

I think for the record last yr when Sbisa played more than 20 or so minutes, the Canucks were on pace to be like a 112 pt team.. one of those funny stats. Same with when Dorsett was over 13 or 14 minutes (whatever threshold it was)...

Last edited:

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Yup. Altho his couple of pizzas this preseason didn't end up in the back of the net... so either that's progress on his part or your hyperbole.

We'll see how he does this year. I'm optimistic. I think he'll easily earn his contract.

If he coughs up the puck and gives up a high percentage scoring change, the fact that it didn't go in isn't because of Sbisa, it's because the goalie made a great play. An improvement would be not coughing up the puck over and over and over again.

There is a line separating optimistic and delusional. Guy can't even get it right during preseason when it is supposed to be easier, there are ZERO signs that points to him being able to get it right in the regular season.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
If he coughs up the puck and gives up a high percentage scoring change, the fact that it didn't go in isn't because of Sbisa, it's because the goalie made a great play. An improvement would be not coughing up the puck over and over and over again.

There is a line separating optimistic and delusional. Guy can't even get it right during preseason when it is supposed to be easier, there are ZERO signs that points to him being able to get it right in the regular season.

PURE hyberbole.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
PURE hyberbole.

Not really, in fact I am quite generous by not listing out his other deficiencies.
I mean he is only the bottom 5 worse dman in the league according to advance stats.

I guess when you are at rock bottom, you can only improve.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Not really, in fact I am quite generous by not listing out his other deficiencies.
I mean he is only the bottom 5 worse dman in the league according to advance stats.

I guess when you are at rock bottom, you can only improve.

Heh... We will see.
I guess we're done here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad