Who thinks it's going to be a long and frustrating season?

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Welp, Things are looking brighter. If McCaan, Virtanen, and Hutton can stay on the season all year, suddenly this team doesn't look as boring as once thought it would have without them. Even the Canuck's struggle to make the playoffs, if the kids can develop further then suddenly this is going to be a real fun team to watch. Don't forget Markstrom and i hope Gaunce gets some time up here too.

It would be a hell of a productive season if the kids show huge progression, and they still manage to sell off the UFA's for high picks at deadline. Would be huge for the rebuild. Then, if Benning says what he does and sign the big Free agents in the off season. Lets just say there's gonna be a lot more optimism.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
we literally having nothing to look forward to this year other than Bo, the kids who may or may not join the team as apparently they haven't earned over linden "career ahler" vey, and maybe markstrom.

i will be interested to see how close hank makes it to 1,000 points. but yeah, just that and bo.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I think we're in for another 100 points if they remain healthy.

Out D looks way more mobile and our transition game in preseason already looks much better. That was a sore spot all season, then became black hole of ineptitude when Hamhuis went down (requiring the Clendening acquisition).

Looks a lot more promising this season.

Upfront to start:
Out: Bonino, Richardson, Kassian, Matthias, Vey(for now), Higgins(for now)
IN: Sutter, Virtanen, McCann, Baertschi, Prust, Cracknell

Speed.

And if they the kids bring the effort and work rate required, it will be a fun and exciting 100 pt season to boot.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon

Out D looks way more mobile and our transition game in preseason already looks much better. That was a sore spot all season, then became black hole of ineptitude when Hamhuis went down (requiring the Clendening acquisition).

Upfront to start:

Speed.

And if they the kids bring the effort and work rate required, it will be a fun and exciting 100 pt season to boot.

Have to agree with you here. With the way the kids look we actually just might make the playoffs. Man would that be sweet.

IntangiBo

Aug 15, 2014
we need a top pick but we aren't getting it this season with this team. they are too good. next season might be a different story when Edmonton starts to take off and we lose guys like Vrbata and Hamhuis.

That Edmonton take off is coming ANY minute now.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
That Edmonton take off is coming ANY minute now.

Rocket-Launcher.gif

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Every one knows i want Jake with the twins but how bout the kid line

Sedin Sedin Vrbata
Mccann Horvat Virtanen
Burrows Sutter hansen
Doorset Craknol Prust

Edler Tanev
Hamuis Hutton
Sbisa Barkowski

Marky
Miller

Not happy with this line up and think it will get us a top pick but hope fully builds the futures for are young guys and learn to grow and hope fully have a better off year next year if benning is gone

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Every one knows i want Jake with the twins but how bout the kid line

Sedin Sedin Vrbata
Mccann Horvat Virtanen
Burrows Sutter hansen
Doorset Craknol Prust

Edler Tanev
Hamuis Hutton
Sbisa Barkowski

Marky
Miller

Not happy with this line up and think it will get us a top pick but hope fully builds the futures for are young guys and learn to grow and hope fully have a better off year next year if benning is gone

why did you ditch baertschi?

Sedin Sedin Vrbata
Baertschi Horvat Virtanen
Burrows Mccann Hansen
Cracknell Sutter Dorsett
Prust

Edler Tanev
Hamhuis Hutton
Sbisa Bartkowski

Miller
Markstrom

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail

Upfront to start:

Speed.

Don't know about 100 points but otherwise completely agree. If Gaunce, Shinkaruk, and another D, like Biega, get some time this year, in Gaunce's case considerable time, it would be even more fun to watch.

Seventy7

May 16, 2015
I really couldnt give 2 ****es if we lose a lot. Im really looking forward to watching the young players. We lost that preseason game in SJ, and I didnt mind whatsoever. They played hard and played well against a stacked opposition.

Its really about secondary scoring and the transition game. Last year this team just got trapped in its own zone too often, and the lack of starting each play after a stoppage without the puck didnt help.

Sutter with the twins should help Hank on the draw on his off wing. Horvat will likely be better, McCann is a ?, but he's no slouch on the dot either. Hutton and Bartowski make our D FAR more mobile and should help the transition game and alleviating pressure by retriever pucks faster.

Bottom line in winning for me is what kind of consistency can they do it with? And will the likes of Virtanen, Baertschi, McCann, and Hutton be able to withstand the long season? Other than that I think special teams should be average if not just above average, Im confident in the goaltending, we have a 4th line that will play with character and defend their teammates, and theres some decent depth the team can and will recall when injury arrives in Gaunce, Vey, Biega, Shinkaruk, Cassels, Pedan, Subban.

The answer to the OPs question is variable depending on your outlook. If you want to see this franchise transition to the next generation, you should be excited, but you should also look at the other rosters in the conference and weigh your expectations accordingly. If all you do is bash regardless of the outcome (you know who you are), well yes, you should expect yet another miserable season of Benning/Sbisa bashing.

Most are predicting the Canucks to finish 2nd last in the conference. I dont see that happening, but theres a part of me that would like to get a top 3 pick cause I honestly really like a lot of the youth coming in, and if we were able to add a cant miss top line/D impact player to that mix, along with having some cap space to make a splash, this team could make a speedy turnaround. However I believe theyll finish 4th in the Pacific and will compete for a wild card spot.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Well it won't take much for the 'Nucks to beat the expectations of the 'experts'....the Sportsnet and TSN NHL preview shows all have the Canucks dead last in the Pacific Division, with some even picking the Oilers to finish higher....but if they get lights-out goaltending from Miller-Markstrom and the kids come on like Horvat did last season, who knows?:huh:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Well it won't take much for the 'Nucks to beat the expectations of the 'experts'....the Sportsnet and TSN NHL preview shows all have the Canucks dead last in the Pacific Division, with some even picking the Oilers to finish higher....but if they get lights-out goaltending from Miller-Markstrom and the kids come on like Horvat did last season, who knows?:huh:

Everything goes right for this team and other teams have a run of bad luck, I think they can squeak in to the playoffs. A bit like last year, going to need some fortune. Normally when a team's plans fall apart the team gets worse, after Benning's pre-camp plan fell through the team actually looks a lot better.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Still expect to miss, but the team is looking like it'll be exciting atleast if the new kids stay up. Still bottom 1/3 tho.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
....the Sportsnet and TSN NHL preview shows all have the Canucks dead last in the Pacific Division, with some even picking the Oilers to finish higher....

:huh:

If they all picked the Canucks to finish last, wouldn't it mean they all picked the Oilers to finish higher?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

It's now official....the Globe and Mail season preview has the Canucks dead last in the Pacific Division as well, along with TSN and Sportsnet......I guess the best position to be in is to enter a season with 'zero expectations' and somehow surpass them...I'd be happy if Hutton, Virtanen and McCann all made the same progress as Horvat did last year....and at the deadline Benning was able to move out some guys on expiring contracts for a bevy of additional draft picks...season would be a success regardless.:nod:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
:huh:

If they all picked the Canucks to finish last, wouldn't it mean they all picked the Oilers to finish higher?

A few of the panelists had the 'Nucks finishing ahead of the Oilers, but overall consensus was 7th and last in the Pacific.....can't believe any team with the Sedins up front; Hamhuis, Edler and Tanev on the blueline; and some decent goaltending in Miller-Markstrom, should be picked to finish behind the Oilers....would add insult to injury.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
A few of the panelists had the 'Nucks finishing ahead of the Oilers, but overall consensus was 7th and last in the Pacific.....can't believe any team with the Sedins up front; Hamhuis, Edler and Tanev on the blueline; and some decent goaltending in Miller-Markstrom, should be picked to finish behind the Oilers....would add insult to injury.

They call him McJesus for a reason. These guys are all falling for the hype, and getting all entangled up in it. It's clouded their ability for rational thought. HYPE-TRAIN WOO WOO -- pulling out of the station!

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA
Nah, I think i'll find this season more interesting than last. Last season had a crashing inevitability to it without any real hope.

No expectations, continued development of Horvat now with added McCann, Hutton and Virtanen. Important seasons for Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Grenier and co down on the Comets. Seeing how Cassels and Subban go.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Nah, I think i'll find this season more interesting than last. Last season had a crashing inevitability to it without any real hope.

This is so true, empty net points, too many goals by Daniel in 4 on 4 OT, all pointed to a team not built for any playoff success.

No expectations, continued development of Horvat now with added McCann, Hutton and Virtanen. Important seasons for Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Grenier and co down on the Comets. Seeing how Cassels and Subban go.

Young guys need to develop, and there are some positive signs, but it will be more than a 1 year process to get back into the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad