Speculation: Who Stays & Who Goes?

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Pretty simple: Pretend you are Holland this offseason and the Oilers once again finish in the bottom 3rd of the league. Which players on our current roster would you keep and which ones would you trade/not sign?

These are the players I would keep:

Forwards:
1. McDavid (1st line)
2. Draisaitl (1st line)
3. Kassian (1st line)
4. Haas (3rd/4th line)
5. Archibald (4th line)
6. Sheahan (4th line)

Defense:
1. Klefbom (1st pair)
2. Nurse (2nd pair)
3. Bear (2nd/3rd pair)
4. Russell (3rd pair)
5. Benning (3rd pair/extra)

Goalie:
1. Koskinen (backup/split games)

Obviously there are some players under contract next season who aren’t on my keep list but I’m just hoping Holland is able to offload them (maybe Seattle could help out). Chiasson, Khaira, Neal, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Pretty simple: Pretend you are Holland this offseason and the Oilers once again finish in the bottom 3rd of the league. Which players on our current roster would you keep and which ones would you trade/not sign?

These are the players I would keep:

Forwards:
1. McDavid (1st line)
2. Draisaitl (1st line)
3. Kassian (1st line)
4. Haas (3rd line)
5. Archibald (4th line)
6. Sheahan (4th line)

Defense:
1. Klefbom (1st pair)
2. Nurse (2nd pair)
3. Bear (2nd pair)
4. Russell (3rd pair)
5. Benning (3rd pair)

Goalie:
1. Koskinen (backup/split games)

Obviously there are some players under contract next season who aren’t on my keep list but I’m just hoping Holland is able to offload them (maybe Seattle could help out). Chiasson, Khaira, Neal, etc.

giphy.gif

Reactions: FanofBadHockeyTeam

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
We have a problem on the back end.

On paper Klefbom. Larsson. Nurse should be doing better then they are.

Maybe send jones down a d bring Persson back up

I like how you thought Haas was on his way back to Switzerland. Meanwhile he's one of the best players on this team.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I like how you thought Haas was on his way back to Switzerland. Meanwhile he's one of the best players on this team.

He was on the farm and there was an agreement in place that if he was on the farm for an extended period of time with no time frame in place for his return to Edmonton he could return to his home club. I was not the only person who posted it

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
He was on the farm and there was an agreement in place that if he was on the farm for an extended period of time with no time frame in place for his return to Edmonton he could return to his home club. I was not the only person who posted it

Yup. And he's not even close to bad enough to not make the team. He's the (alternating) third or fourth best forward on the team. :laugh:

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Finding it hard to even care who stays and goes at this point

I am of the same mind.

This is getting beyond ridiculous how uninspired the whole team is to play their biggest rival, nevermind the last 15 games. It's clear they could give two shits out there, so why should we. This is a big reason I don't buy merch with current players. Everyone is or becomes expendable at one point or another.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
McDavid and Draisatl are the only untouchables here and Bouchard in the minors. Everyone else is fair game.

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
If I am Tambolland I am not doing thing remember who are talking about here he is generational at sitting on his hands

now if Im a real Gm I am making trade right f***ing NOW no excuse to wait flush the crap bring in skill

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
For me the discussion starts and ends with ways to free up money and we wont free up any real money till the off season when Gagner 3.15 and Manning 2.25 come off the books.

After the dynamic duo we have no secondary scoring. We need to address that. I do not see Neil getting moved without retention and so that leaves Nuge and Russell getting moved to free up cap space. I would rather keep Benning than Russell.

Russell in the off season will have one year left. On July 1st we pay him 1 mill signing bonus and that leaves only 1.5 of physical cash he is owed. 4 mill cap hit with only 1.5 real money left on July 2nd. He is very movable to a team rebuilding and in need of getting to the floor.

Trading nuge and russell frees up 10 mill in cap space

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017

yup me too. this team still can't figure out how to win no matter which GM is in charge, no matter who the coaches are, and no matter who the players are. i have gotten to the point where i'm just a casual watcher who really doesn't care anymore and have found other things to occupy my time. o_O

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
McDavid and Draisatl are the only untouchables here and Bouchard in the minors. Everyone else is fair game.

100%. Those are the only two. Bear is close and keep a guy like Bouchard I guess. Improve every other way.

What can this team lose? They suck. Can't bring back a bunch of them. The D core is atrocious. Nurse is a #3/4 on a good team. Same with Klef. Larsson.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
For me the discussion starts and ends with ways to free up money and we wont free up any real money till the off season when Gagner 3.15 and Manning 2.25 come off the books.

After the dynamic duo we have no secondary scoring. We need to address that. I do not see Neil getting moved without retention and so that leaves Nuge and Russell getting moved to free up cap space. I would rather keep Benning than Russell.

Russell in the off season will have one year left. On July 1st we pay him 1 mill signing bonus and that leaves only 1.5 of physical cash he is owed. 4 mill cap hit with only 1.5 real money left on July 2nd. He is very movable to a team rebuilding and in need of getting to the floor.

Trading nuge and russell frees up 10 mill in cap space

I think Larsson can go as well. We have a ton of RHD in the system and I think Bouchard makes the jump next season.
We can trade RNH, Larsson, and Russell for picks and prospects and use extra cap space to bring in some good forwards. We gain some assets for the future while at the same time gaining cap space to sign some forwards who will help us offensively.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Say what you want about Lowe but he's the last actual GM who was able to find roster upgrades more than once in a blue moon.

Imagine anyone of the last three Oilers GMs being able to add a Torres, Visnovsky, Glencross, Gilbert, Roloson, let alone a Pronger.

Hell, I'd be happy with a Samsonov for the 2nd line and a Peca for the 3rd.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
This is pretty close to where I am too. There isn’t much to like on this team as it is and McDavid and Draisatl haven’t been very good for a month. The effort level in tonight’s game against the team we all hate is enough to convince a lot of fans to tune out for a while.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hell, I'd be happy with a Samsonov for the 2nd line and a Peca for the 3rd.

Samsonov circa 2006 would probably be the 3rd best forward on this team.

It's mind boggling that three GMs in a row can't find some decent players now and again especially in-season when help is needed.

Reactions: McFuhryous

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
It seems like we have no defensive responsible players and it is burning us every game. On top of that every one of our defensemen is playing at least 2 spots higher than where they should be on the depth chart.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
If he sells who has the pockets to buy the team?

Who cares? It's not like he lives in or cares about Edmonton. He made an impotent threat to move the team to Seattle because it didn't look like he'd get his way. Wouldn't be hard to find a billionaire with as much investment in the City as Katz.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad