Who Stays: Loui Eriksson or Reilly Smith?

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
What do people think Eriksson's next contract will look like?

Would you rather keep Loui or Looch?

Definitely Lucic. To use Sweeney's term: he's a "foundational" player for us, even though it's going to be tough to retain given our cap situation. I'd only consider trading Lucic for a Hall or similar type player.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston

It won't be a pay cut. Probably 5.5-6m on the open market depending on the quality of UFAs available. A couple of the big name guys in 2016 will surely be signed before then but it looks like a pretty good year for free agents.

Loui at 5-6m, or Lucic at 6.5-7.5? Lucic, when on top of his game, is much more dominant than Loui. Even at his best I wouldn't say Loui is "dominant". Can't control a game or series like Lucic can. Lucic is also much younger and has a better chance of becoming a consistent 20-30 goal, 50-65 point threat again, and plays a much more unique game. I love Eriksson but he's a replacable player. A lot of this team's success depends on guys like Lucic. Not really a coincidence that we have a bad season when guys like him and Chara have bad years. I'm hoping Lucic takes a little bit of a discount because either is a big risk. I'd say Loui is less of a risk but much less of a potential reward. Neither are worth what they're going to get.

CJDolan

Sep 17, 2012

Lot of that will come down to contracts for sure. I want zero part of Lucic if (when) he's above 6.5 million cap hit. Love Lucic and all, but his play style doesn't exactly lead to long careers with little to no drop off.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Lot of that will come down to contracts for sure. I want zero part of Lucic if (when) he's above 6.5 million cap hit. Love Lucic and all, but his play style doesn't exactly lead to long careers with little to no drop off.

Lucic is special on rare occasions and in this new lovey dovey NHL at least one of his attributes are no longer as necessary. Add to the fact that he needs to give 100% to be effective and that's a difficult task night in and night out and one he hasn't shown he can do.

CJDolan

Sep 17, 2012
Lucic is special on rare occasions and in this new lovey dovey NHL at least one of his attributes are no longer as necessary. Add to the fact that he needs to give 100% to be effective and that's a difficult task night in and night out and one he hasn't shown he can do.

Yup. Love Lucic but it's impossible for him to go all out on every shift in every game unless you want him to a) play 55 games a season b) retire at 30 or c) combination of both. Lucic is going to put up big numbers this year if he stays healthy, and he will be getting paid quite a bit of money because of it.

thegodfather

Dec 6, 2005
Stratford, Ontario

For the reasons you pointed out this is why Lucic needs a player on the other side of him who plays the same style of game. Horton then Iginla.

Some will point out his early years of playing with Savard and Kessel, but he wouldn't of lasted long playing like that.

In all honesty no one can play 82 games plus playoffs and play like Lucic is expected to play and be the only one doing it.

Three Dog

Apr 12, 2015
For the reasons you pointed out this is why Lucic needs a player on the other side of him who plays the same style of game. Horton then Iginla.

Some will point out his early years of playing with Savard and Kessel, but he wouldn't of lasted long playing like that.

In all honesty no one can play 82 games plus playoffs and play like Lucic is expected to play and be the only one doing it.

I've said that multiple times here too. You're post is the only one Ive seen is support of that, surprisingly. .....seems like an obvious conclusion to me (from memory, and stats).

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
I really don't see either of these guys being moved out. Sweeney mention he had to address the cap issues and make some room to manage it. Well the only way for him to make room and manage his cap is to deal one Of Krejci, Looch, Chara, Bergy or Rask.... My bet its Krejci. Now that doesn't mean one of Smith/Loui wont be on their way out as well but I'd bet one of the a fore mention are gone by opening night, hopefully by draft day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad