Who Stays: Loui Eriksson or Reilly Smith?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
We have to make a significant hockey trade.

I'd move Krejci and Smith for a young F and a young D. I've elsewhere suggested Neal and Ekholm. Kiss My Rask put it on the main board, and some NAS fans said they'd jump at it, and even skeptics saw the value for NAS. Some preferred Ellis over Ekholm, since Ekholm is LH.

I'd consider moving Lucic too, but that would be more painful; and it would have to be for a Hall, Eberle, or Yak... but mostly only for Hall as Lucic really is a foundational player for us. He's just a bit expensive.

I'd also consider Eriksson in a package. Eriksson + Smith for...

Yes but these are bigger moves, are we going to go for that? I want to do bigger moves myself.

I could go with the Nashville trade if

a) Julien gets replaced, Neal could go wasted in his system,
b) if the D is Ekholm, can't go with Ellis when we have Krug, this team needs Ekholm type of D.

If we could go Lucic straight up to Yak I would do it, 2.5M for 2 years and could exlode here, showed signs for it in Edmonton and has the potential. I also would go for Lucic for Eberle trade because Eberle is younger and signed with same as Lucic is now which would give us more good years from Eberle and he'd be cheaper, Krecji giving passes to eberle and we could see few goals.

My 1st job would be to ask Lucic how much he wants and if he goes crazy then send him to edmonton and go from there.
If Krecji goes we need to draft Connor/Konency.

I just want to hear rumours again so we can have new trade talks :laugh:

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Yes but these are bigger moves, are we going to go for that? I want to do bigger moves myself.

I could go with the Nashville trade if

a) Julien gets replaced, Neal could go wasted in his system,
b) if the D is Ekholm, can't go with Ellis when we have Krug, this team needs Ekholm type of D.

If we could go Lucic straight up to Yak I would do it, 2.5M for 2 years and could exlode here, showed signs for it in Edmonton and has the potential. I also would go for Lucic for Eberle trade because Eberle is younger and signed with same as Lucic is now which would give us more good years from Eberle and he'd be cheaper, Krecji giving passes to eberle and we could see few goals.

I just want to hear rumours again so we can have new trade talks :laugh:

highlighted part: :laugh::laugh:

More generally, these are all good points -- it's also hard to predict how Chiarelli will treat the B's. He may be in no mood to do us favors. But then, he values our players too, since he signed them, so maybe he takes some on, while sending back some skill.

CJDolan

Sep 17, 2012
If by "explode" you mean 15-20 goals, then yes.

I appreciate Eriksson's contributions, but people thinking he's going to recapture his peak of 2008/2009, 7 years later, after seven straight seasons of decline, are out to lunch. Eriksson didn't play with Soda and Kelly in Dallas for four seasons after that peak. He played on the top line. What's the excuse for those seasons?

I look forward to returning to this thread next spring to remind all the starry eyed predictors who foretold 35+ goals. By then, the goalposts will be moved again. "But he missed a few shifts with Krejci".

So he will score 2-7 less goals playing with much better players 15 minutes a night?

I don't think anybody is saying that he is going to recapture a year where he shot at a 20% clip, but I don't think it's much of a stretch to think that he would play better with players that don't have offense die on their sticks.

Loui historically hasn't been a guy that's going to average 5 shots per game, but he would be able to get more goals and assists on a line where he isn't by far the best offensive player. Horton and Iginla averaged about 190 shots per season in Boston, if Loui does that and shoots at his career average of 13.5%, he's around 26 goals. Playing with better players, his assists would more than likely go up as well. Not saying that the Bruins have any true snipers that he would be feeding, but I have a feeling Looch/Krejci/Bergeron/spooner/Marchand/Pastrnak would be able to score more than Kelly/Sodas combined 12 goals in the last 44 games of the season (88 man games).

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
highlighted part: :laugh::laugh:

More generally, these are all good points -- it's also hard to predict how Chiarelli will treat the B's. He may be in no mood to do us favors. But then, he values our players too, since he signed them, so maybe he takes some on, while sending back some skill.

I think Chia has few players here he would want to have, he spend a lot of time here and signed pretty much all of them, Lucic could be his guy.
Cam said that Smith was his signing but I doubt Edmonton has no use for him.
Hamilton ofcourse is a player he's dreaming.

Last edited:

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
"He's a third liner."

"He played the most! He is not a third liner!"

"He only had 47 points."

"What do you expect from a guy playing on the third line!?"

Things never change. Loui was supposed be a great player at a fraction of the cost. Instead he has been okay at an okay cost.

People say the issue with him is who he was traded for. That's not his fault, not even a little bit, but it is true of some people. They judge him on that grading curve. But if he had been traded for a first round pick and a prospect he wouldn't get quite the defense he gets. Some people excuse his lack production because they need him to be successful because they are judging him on the opposite of that curve.

His value was supposed to be an all star at a low cost. He should be an all star caliber player here. He has never once approached that level here. I wish we could discuss him honestly (a disappointment, but far from a disaster), but we can't.

To be fair, only the offensive production was not star caliber. He does everything else at an all-star caliber, was still a huge contributor to that regular season record setting 13-14 Bruins team besides the concussion problems and was the most used F last season and one of the most constant with Bergeron.

And also to be fair, who knows what his production would be playing a full year with a creative playmaking C. If he's not traded, we'll have our answer this year, be it With Krejci, Bergy or Spooner.

Last edited:

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Much more likely now with a new GM. Chia would be afraid to do that because it would be admitting the Seguin trade was a disaster. I would try to see what we can bring back for Loui + Smith, maybe a decent return

For sure. Sweeney is free to do whatever. That's on the last watch.

Let Soda walk. Trade Smith and Loui.

Smith because he's a one trick pony, whose one trick he's marginal at performing, and Loui becauss we want to go another direction and Loui is a "good" well-rounded player at a friendly price, should have good trade value.

Upgrade Loui, cash in Smith.

Smith -> Koko

pays for

Loui -> L1 finisher upgrade

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
For sure. Sweeney is free to do whatever. That's on the last watch.

Let Soda walk. Trade Smith and Loui.

Smith because he's a one trick pony, whose one trick he's marginal at performing, and Loui becauss we want to go another direction and Loui is a "good" well-rounded player at a friendly price, should have good trade value.

Upgrade Loui, cash in Smith.

Smith -> Koko

pays for

Loui -> L1 finisher upgrade

Who do you consider an upgrade over Eriksson that would be available ?

And please be serious, don't bring up TJ Oshie :laugh:

rudos1

Oct 22, 2009
Early last season I would have traded Loui for a bag of pucks, but he really got it together as the season progressed and I now hope we can hang onto him.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Who do you consider an upgrade over Eriksson that would be available ?

And please be serious, don't bring up TJ Oshie :laugh:

The upgrade everyone wants is a confirmed 30 goal scorer. Wonder who wants to dump one of those? Taylor Hall goal ouputs;22,27,16,27,14. But he does score at a 30 goal pace,he just has never played enough games to do it in 5 years. 8 wingers scored 30 goals last year and 14 the year before.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
The upgrade everyone wants is a confirmed 30 goal scorer. Wonder who wants to dump one of those? Taylor Hall goal ouputs;22,27,16,27,14. But he does score at a 30 goal pace,he just has never played enough games to do it in 5 years. 8 wingers scored 30 goals last year and 14 the year before.

Eberle has scored 30, but people here think we'll land a player like that with nickel-and-dime trades involving players like Smith or overpaid veterans like Kelly and Seidenberg.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Eberle has scored 30, but people here think we'll land a player like that with nickel-and-dime trades involving players like Smith or overpaid veterans like Kelly and Seidenberg.

Wonder if he could score 30 with Soderberg and Kelly? Or what if he's a bad fit with Krejci or Bergeron?:sarcasm:

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
I wouldn't trade Smith yet. Guy could be Hodge Jr. or something special. Lots of players have lousy sophomore years. Justgot to see how he rebounds this year. Showed his rookie year that he has lots of skill.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
I wouldn't trade Smith yet. Guy could be Hodge Jr. or something special. Lots of players have lousy sophomore years. Justgot to see how he rebounds this year. Showed his rookie year that he has lots of skill.

exactly why i would shop Loui over him. also because Loui could actually get you a 1st round pick etc

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
If by "explode" you mean 15-20 goals, then yes.

I appreciate Eriksson's contributions, but people thinking he's going to recapture his peak of 2008/2009, 7 years later, after seven straight seasons of decline, are out to lunch. Eriksson didn't play with Soda and Kelly in Dallas for four seasons after that peak. He played on the top line. What's the excuse for those seasons?

Thinking that Eriksson won't produce more with players other than Soderberg and Kelly tells me your out to lunch and you still have the trade in mind.

It also tells me you really aren't watching LouI's game and sticking to his box score numbers.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
People get so so carried away with points. Maybe we should consider moving Bergy because his production was down. He got 55 points ---Plekanec who also is a very well rounded player got 60 so he must be better. Ribiero got 62, Turris 64, Sjose had three centers with 10 more points. I can go on and on and on. Loui was with out a doubt one of the three best forwards this yr along with bergy and marchy . This guy doesn't have to produce a ton to help. I honestly don't think Loui would put up too great of numbers on any line but honestly that depends on the line . I can guarantee if he was put with D.K and Luc you would see all three some what in the same neighborhood . They are either all going to have great or good yrs health and performance related. Soderberg was actually one of the best forwards on the team the first 35-40 games so playing with him at times is not all bad.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Thinking that Eriksson won't produce more with players other than Soderberg and Kelly tells me your out to lunch and you still have the trade in mind.

It also tells me you really aren't watching LouI's game and sticking to his box score numbers.

All the defenders of Eriksson keep accusing others on here of having some "trade" in mind. What "trade" is on your mind? Because I'm not talking about trades. I'm talking about sound prediction of Eriksson's output based on stats and his record over the last seven seasons.

What are you basing your predictions on? Can you point to a season where his scoring increased based on who he was playing with, in any season since 2008/2009? (other than the pre/post concussion year, because his numbers were artificially low in 2013/14 due to the injury).

It's funny Sodaberg in this thread has all of a sudden transformed into a "black hole" comparable to Chris Kelly. Like playing with Soda is some horrific hell that Eriksson will "explode" out of if played with other Bruins.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
All the defenders of Eriksson keep accusing others on here of having some "trade" in mind. What "trade" is on your mind? Because I'm not talking about trades. I'm talking about sound prediction of Eriksson's output based on stats and his record over the last seven seasons.

What are you basing your predictions on? Can you point to a season where his scoring increased based on who he was playing with, in any season since 2008/2009? (other than the pre/post concussion year, because his numbers were artificially low in 2013/14 due to the injury).

It's funny Sodaberg in this thread has all of a sudden transformed into a "black hole" comparable to Chris Kelly. Like playing with Soda is some horrific hell that Eriksson will "explode" out of if played with other Bruins.

You like trends so don't discount Soderberg's. He was good for 30+ games and absolutely sucked for most of the last 40. The numbers are above,I'm sure you saw them. He can't produce against stiffer opposition. Also you keep saying Eriksson's scoring has trended down for 7 seasons when his points actually increased after his 36 goals and stabilized for 3. If you are counting the strike season and a concussed season then you are agenda driven.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
Points are contagious is my point. Loui might get 60-65 points next yr and not be any better player than he was this yr. Loui is the type of guy you know what your going to get play wise when he is healthy. Point wise it will depend on who he is with and how they do. I don't think he is an offensive machine but although he is paid well he is not a real expensive player. End result for me is obviously its a no brainer unless you get a feeling he is going to want a big raise in the future.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Points are contagious is my point. Loui might get 60-65 points next yr and not be any better player than he was this yr. Loui is the type of guy you know what your going to get play wise when he is healthy. Point wise it will depend on who he is with and how they do. I don't think he is an offensive machine but although he is paid well he is not a real expensive player. End result for me is obviously its a no brainer unless you get a feeling he is going to want a big raise in the future.

I pointedly and painstakingly tracked the Soderberg line shift after shift for about 15-20 games. They were outzoned reguarly on 75% of their shifts. If Loui is on a line where the offensive zonetime increases,then obviously his production should rise.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
I pointedly and painstakingly tracked the Soderberg line shift after shift for about 15-20 games. They were outzoned reguarly on 75% of their shifts. If Loui is on a line where the offensive zonetime increases,then obviously his production should rise.

Well I think it is obvious he would produce more with a healthy D.K and a motivated Looch but I really don't care which line he plays on. I think you need nine good forwards at the minimum on the top three lines and who plays where really isn't that big of a deal to me if fixing one hole is going to create another.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Well I think it is obvious he would produce more with a healthy D.K and a motivated Looch but I really don't care which line he plays on. I think you need nine good forwards at the minimum on the top three lines and who plays where really isn't that big of a deal to me if fixing one hole is going to create another.

You want your most talented players playing with each other. Saddling Loui with an overmatched Soderberg and a poor excuse for a winger in Kelly hurt this team. Balance is great if you have the right roster but you need top lines.

CJDolan

Sep 17, 2012

Earlier in this thread you said Loui will go down to 15-20 goals because he is declining. Here's his totals the last 4 seasons.

2011-2012: .963 goals/60 minutes played
2012-2013: .745 g/60
2013-2014: .595 g/60
2014-2015: .881 g/60

Starts at almost a goal per 60, drops down during the lockout year, where plenty of people had off years. He then drops way off in a season where he got two concussions. Then this past season he shoots way back up there, pretty damn close to where he was in 2011-2012.

Oh yeah, he was playing with the likes of Mike Ribiero and Jamie Benn in 2012, and he was only .08 g/60 higher than he was with Kelly and Soderberg.

Please, keep telling me about this steep drop off that loui has been trending to for years.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
You want your most talented players playing with each other. Saddling Loui with an overmatched Soderberg and a poor excuse for a winger in Kelly hurt this team. Balance is great if you have the right roster but you need top lines.

Yes,and we need top lines.With no Iginla and Smith and Soda being mediocre most of the year ,we basically had four non effective lines. I liked the way Loui played this year but wouldn't hesitate to trade Loui and Smith .

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Earlier in this thread you said Loui will go down to 15-20 goals because he is declining. Here's his totals the last 4 seasons.

2011-2012: .963 goals/60 minutes played
2012-2013: .745 g/60
2013-2014: .595 g/60
2014-2015: .881 g/60

Starts at almost a goal per 60, drops down during the lockout year, where plenty of people had off years. He then drops way off in a season where he got two concussions. Then this past season he shoots way back up there, pretty damn close to where he was in 2011-2012.

Oh yeah, he was playing with the likes of Mike Ribiero and Jamie Benn in 2012, and he was only .08 g/60 higher than he was with Kelly and Soderberg.

Please, keep telling me about this steep drop off that loui has been trending to for years.

He keeps referring to trending down from 36 goals even though his points trended up and stabilized for 3 subsequent years. He also includes a strike season (ridiculous) and a 2 concussion season (doubly ridiculous). Talk about sound reasoning......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad