Who starts game 1?

What starts in net for the Kings in game 1?

• Total voters

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Kind of shitty to not give Copley a look after how much he has helped the Kings. I’m honestly not even sold on Korpisalo
There is something about Copley presence seems to make the team play better in front of him.. cant justify it other than W and Ls. Korpisalo has the save pct but Copley shouldnt be overlooked. I would've preferred a more subtle approach: last night was Copley's turn.. I wouldve like to see him start, then Korpi starting EDM is just part of normal rotation.. If Korpi is nails, you give him another start, if he gags, then you let Copley get the next game.. That approach doesnt make Copley feel like he's 2nd - which if you understand goalie psychology is important.. and lets you play the hot hand without making any 'statement' about who is the starter.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
There is something about Copley presence seems to make the team play better in front of him.. cant justify it other than W and Ls. Korpisalo has the save pct but Copley shouldnt be overlooked. I would've preferred a more subtle approach: last night was Copley's turn.. I wouldve like to see him start, then Korpi starting EDM is just part of normal rotation.. If Korpi is nails, you give him another start, if he gags, then you let Copley get the next game.. That approach doesnt make Copley feel like he's 2nd - which if you understand goalie psychology is important.. and lets you play the hot hand without making any 'statement' about who is the starter.
I would have liked to see coach play this a little closer to the vest also and was hoping there would be more external ambiguity about the decision.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kind of shitty to not give Copley a look after how much he has helped the Kings. I’m honestly not even sold on Korpisalo

I'll bet he's on a short leash though.

I would have liked to see coach play this a little closer to the vest also and was hoping there would be more external ambiguity about the decision.

yeah go figure this is the one thing he's extremely clear about for scouting's sake

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
You can’t make the choice on sentiment. If you prefer Copley then that’s fine, but it’s not u8 hockey. You pick the best team to win. If TMac picked Copley not to be shitty it should be his last ever game as a pro coach. If he picks Copley because he believes it’s the best chance of a W then fine, it’s wrong, but it’s defendable.

Reactions: Schrute farms

Shellz

May 6, 2009
California

I absolutely agree. I think I’m just more shocked that most people are saying Korpi is the go to guy. Maybe it’s because he needs to be not because he’s playing like he is.

I wonder when the last team had to go into the playoffs with two goalies.
You can’t make the choice on sentiment. If you prefer Copley then that’s fine, but it’s not u8 hockey. You pick the best team to win. If TMac picked Copley not to be shitty it should be his last ever game as a pro coach. If he picks Copley because he believes it’s the best chance of a W then fine, it’s wrong, but it’s defendable.
Why is it wrong?

It has nothing to do with how I feel. It has to do with him playing the bulk of the games and doing a pretty good job at it. Korpi has not been outplaying Copley by any means. He has been in the playoffs before, sure. But, doesnt make sense to me why he should automatically start and be “the guy”. He has won 3 games. I also understand that we didn’t give our first round pick for a back up goalie.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
I absolutely agree. I think I’m just more shocked that most people are saying Korpi is the go to guy. Maybe it’s because he needs to be not because he’s playing like he is.

Why is it wrong?

It has nothing to do with how I feel. It has to do with him playing the bulk of the games and doing a pretty good job at it. Korpi has not been outplaying Copley by any means. He has been in the playoffs before, sure. But, doesnt make sense to me why he should automatically start and be “the guy”. He has won 3 games. I also understand that we didn’t give our first round pick for a back up goalie.
Korpisalo has been outplaying Copley, though, by both traditional and advance metrics. Since the trade, Korpisalo has a .921 save percentage compared to Copley's .915. Korpisalo has faced more high-danger shots than Copley (83 to 50) and has saved a higher percentage of them (.855 to .800).

Moreover, this is the list of Copley's opponents for starts since the trade (* for playoff teams):

Montreal (at home)
Washington (at home)
Nashville (at home)
Columbus (at home)
Calgary (at home)
St. Louis (at home)
*Seattle (away)
*Edmonton (at home)
*Colorado (at home)

Here are Korpisalo's:

St. Louis (at home)
*Colorado (away)
*N.Y. Islanders (at home)
Vancouver (at home)
*Winnipeg (at home)
Calgary (away)
*Edmonton (away)
Vancouver (away)
*Vegas (away)
Vancouver (at home)
Anaheim (away)

Korpisalo was given the more difficult schedule (more playoff teams, more of those games on the road) and still performed better.

Shellz

May 6, 2009
California
Korpisalo has been outplaying Copley, though, by both traditional and advance metrics. Since the trade, Korpisalo has a .921 save percentage compared to Copley's .915. Korpisalo has faced more high-danger shots than Copley (83 to 50) and has saved a higher percentage of them (.855 to .800).

Moreover, this is the list of Copley's opponents for starts since the trade (* for playoff teams):

Montreal (at home)
Washington (at home)
Nashville (at home)
Columbus (at home)
Calgary (at home)
St. Louis (at home)
*Seattle (away)
*Edmonton (at home)
*Colorado (at home)

Here are Korpisalo's:

St. Louis (at home)
*Colorado (away)
*N.Y. Islanders (at home)
Vancouver (at home)
*Winnipeg (at home)
Calgary (away)
*Edmonton (away)
Vancouver (away)
*Vegas (away)
Vancouver (at home)
Anaheim (away)

Korpisalo was given the more difficult schedule (more playoff teams, more of those games on the road) and still performed better.

His stats are better and I’m sure will end up getting the start for the series. But again, in my opinion, it’s not enough for me to say yeah he’s who I feel most confident with. I also don’t think it’s crazy to give Copley playing time either.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014

Why is it wrong?

Don‘t overthink me saying it’s wrong, tongue was firmly planted in cheek (British humour doesn’t always translate). I don’t agree but its no more than an opinion. :)

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Playoffs are a different animal, go with the guy who has seen rubber in a playoff setting

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad