Who starts game 1?

What starts in net for the Kings in game 1?

• Total voters

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
Korpisalo is 6-3 / 2.03 / .926 has a better overall resume and has performed well in the playoffs before.

Copley 24-6 / 2.64 / .903 has come up big pretty much every time the Kings have called on him and just wins games.

I just feel like Copper has ice in his veins and has earned his place in net for game 1. Not an easy choice but he's my guy.

I'm curious if this is as divided as it seems.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Korpisalo is 6-3 / 2.03 / .926 has a better overall resume and has performed well in the playoffs before.

Copley 24-6 / 2.64 / .903 has come up big pretty much every time the Kings have called on him and just wins games.

I just feel like Copper has ice in his veins and has earned his place in net for game 1. Not an easy choice but he's my guy.

I'm curious if this is as divided as it seems.

Yeah I think both guys have great cases, it's one of the toughest calls to make imo.

I'm usually a big 'dance with who you brought' guy and that would be Copley. Agree on the calmness.

But I think they traded for Korpi with the intention of playing him. I DO think he a has a little bit more of Quick in him, where he can steal a game, vs. Copley who typically just won't lose you one. But Pheonix has come on very strong lately.

Gun to head...Start Korpi. If he falters AT ALL--Copley is there in his familiar role.

Reactions: The Butcher

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
Blake has no plan, roster is dumb, Todd sucks, Kings aren't going deep in the playoffs......yet you can't give Copley 1 game? smh

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Korpi has to play IMO but I suspect Copley will have the odd start.
So, kind of like what Vancouver did with Luongo and Schneider in 2012, and then Anaheim with Gibson (who is the best goalie I have ever seen) and Hiller in 2014.

We may never be fortunate to see the Kings have a goaltending situation like they had with Quick ever again.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
So, kind of like what Vancouver did with Luongo and Schneider in 2012, and then Anaheim with Gibson (who is the best goalie I have ever seen) and Hiller in 2014.

We may never be fortunate to see the Kings have a goaltending situation like they had with Quick ever again.
I think they are close enough in form that you can give Copley the odd game without it being a big risk. It keeps Korpi a little fresher and keeps Copley dialled in. Korpi though has given himself a genuine edge as no1 IMO.

Quick in 2012 and 2014 was probably the best goaltending I’ve ever seen (2012 especially). There was zero chance anyone else played. Hell had Luongo been our backup he wouldn’t have seen the ice.

Who starts game 4?
Petersen.

TwzKing

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2004
there is a very vocal minority that wants the worse goalie to get game 1`

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
The guy with more NHL experience.

Someone keep a close eye on Surf Nutz. He might lose it when he sees the poll.

• Haha
Reactions: ru4reals

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Not surprising that they either don't know themselves or are waiting until the actual playoffs start to decide. Taking a position that is mostly mental and not allowing either guy to step confidently forward is a longterm problem here of management's own making.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Forgot to say who I voted for - Copley.

Of the 4 goalies who played for the Kings this year, Copley was the one who gave them the best chance to win. He has yet to falter. Dance with who you brought.

Rick Knickleback

May 18, 2022
Long Beach
Easy enough to overthink these things but it seems like a clear choice to me: which goalie has the better stats and which goalie has some playoff experience? Korpisalo’s back to back starts to end the year indicate the brass thinks he’s the guy.

If he falters, Copley has sone experience himself at being the in-case-of-emergency-break-glass option.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
Not surprising that they either don't know themselves or are waiting until the actual playoffs start to decide. Taking a position that is mostly mental and not allowing either guy to step confidently forward is a longterm problem here of management's own making.
The goalie rotation started after the trade just happened to have Korpi start against every playoff team in March. I think the team has been clear from the start what the plan is for the playoffs.

Soapdodger

Dec 31, 2007
I really like Pheonix Copley and what he has achieved is amazing.
That being said: it was the right decision to let go of Quick and bring in Korpisalo. Yes, the price was steep but you have to give to get something. We might regret this trade if we are elimnated early and both he and Gavrikov leave via free agency, but that was a trade that needed to be done.
Joonas Korpisalo for me is the clear cut starting goaltender and it is not even very close.
If problems arise we have a solid replacement and that is worth a lot, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad