Line Combos: Who sits?

mikebel111*

I've seen Rielly leave Franson out to dry many times, and you know why nobody brings it up? Because Franson has the ability to bail out his partner when his partner makes a bad decision. That's why Franson and Fraser made such a great pairing.

Its as if every time Franson makes an aggressive play at the blue line, it ends up in the back of the net. Morgan doesn't have the ability to make big defensive plays yet.

It is franson pinching like crazy, and than rielly having to deal with the 2 on 1's. this is on franson.

Asif16*

Lets just trade gunnar. Then we wouldnt be having this prblem LOL.

Trade him to detroit. He seems like their cup of tea.

Phaneuf-Franson
Ranger-GArdiner
Reilly-Fraser

#YOLO

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Forget fights

Ranger Doesnt clear the crease as well as fraser, doesnt block shots as much as fraser, doesnt bring the intimidation factor as much as fraser, doesnt hit as much as fraser, and fraser sure as hell doesnt turn the puck over as much as ranger.

Also, in a board battle in the corner, id say Fraser has a higher chance of winning it than ranger.

True, true, true, true, and true.

Forget what Fraser brings as an individual player, it's how he makes the team and everyone around him "better".

tumblr_inline_mfd3t0Vl061qiv5yk.gif

Hibachi

Oct 22, 2013
I've seen Rielly leave Franson out to dry many times, and you know why nobody brings it up? Because Franson has the ability to bail out his partner when his partner makes a bad decision. That's why Franson and Fraser made such a great pairing.

Its as if every time Franson makes an aggressive play at the blue line, it ends up in the back of the net. Morgan doesn't have the ability to make big defensive plays yet.

I've seen Rielly pinch but I'd say a very high percentage of the time, he has the skating ability to get back and help out. Where as if Franson pinches and get caught, or makes a mistake on the blueline, there's no way he can skate back. He's hoping a fast forward can get back and make something happen.

I forgot what game it was but he was absolutely amazing in that game, he came back in time to steal a pass and create another rush for our offense.

Franson even admitted last week that he left Rielly in tough situations and he can't do that as a veteran on that pairing.

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010
Franson pinching and a 2v1 going the other way is on one of the forwards not recognizing the pinch and getting back on D.

The fact that Rielly is ineffective at eliminating the pass in a 2v1 is on Rielly and Rielly alone... let the goalie handle the shooter... eliminate the opportunity to pass.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Franson pinching and a 2v1 going the other way is on one of the forwards not recognizing the pinch and getting back on D.

The fact that Rielly is ineffective at eliminating the pass in a 2v1 is on Rielly and Rielly alone... let the goalie handle the shooter... eliminate the opportunity to pass.
Yeah, it's clearly not at all Franson's fault that he makes the choice to pinch or when they are bad pinches. Obviously it's on the other guys on the team and Rielly that he makes those choices. Not at all an option for him to make responsible defensive decisions and not pinch as often when he doesn't have the speed to get back.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
i suspect there will be a rotation of fraser, ranger, and rielly. best 2/3 plays. i think nonis or carlyle said on the radio a few weeks ago that they arent opposed to rotating rielly in. they are prepared to keep him with the big boys if he can handle it because he will improve by practicing and watching the nhl level game even if he doesnt player EVERY game.

i think it would motivate all 3 of them if they the one who doesnt play well has to sit. just like the bernier/reimer situation.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
I don't think Fraser sits, like it or not we need his physicallity and intimidation in our end. I think Ranger should sit though, guy hasn't looked great at all, although his game is improving a bit as the games go on.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
people still thinking of sending rielly down and complaining about gunner who has been our top 2 defensive dman for few years now...ya we care about our hockey and are die hard fans... {mod}

Last edited by a moderator:

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Fraser will not "work himself back until someone struggles".

Carlyle loves him and will play him as soon as he is ready, you can bank on that. The only way fraser comes out of the lineup again is another injury or if he REALLy starts to play bad.

Fraser seems like a regular with caryle at the helm.

If i were to guess, i say Ranger sits

Yup. This is my guess as well.

Hibachi

Oct 22, 2013

If it was that easy to stop 2v1's, our scoring would go drastically down. Our offense is based off turnovers and creating odd man rushes. Don't know how you can expect a rookie to break up 2v1's regularly, when full time NHLers have a hard enough time doing that as it is.

Mr Scarface*

Aaaahahah Fraser will definitely play as soon as he'll be ready! Carlyle likes him a lot and remember that montreal game this season....... LOL there can only be those players who give it all on the table and leave it there. Carlyle doesn't even ask anything more than that. You can even lose if everything is left on the table.
LOL fraser was pushing everybody around vs montreal etc. This guy plays the game, period.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
omg franson on top dman pairing? r u ppl only looking at stats? cody prob leads the dmen in defensive screw ups that lead to goals or scoring chances, and hes playing against 3 or 4, sometimes number 2 lines mostly, cant even imagine how cody will look playing top 1 and 2 lines in hockey consistently

we need all 7 dman, injuries will happen...rielly/ranger/ and fraser will rotate in and out of lineup depending on how randy feels, and thats it...stop thinking of trading our defenders, will only got 7 and theres 70 more games to play

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Fraser sucks.

he can't skate.

he will fit nicely in the press box.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Fraser can only dream of being anywhere near as good as Ranger.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
The correct answer is "nobody".

Fraser stinks and is clearly inferior to all 6 of the Leafs current D. His toughness is admirable but the guy is just a bad player.

He can sub in at 6 if someone gets hurt, that's about it.

Asif16*

Fraser can only dream of being anywhere near as good as Ranger.

LOL andddddd Zeke is back ladies and gentleman.

Seriously, is Ranger like your Brother/cousin/Best friend or something?

either that or Mark Fraser is your enemy of somesorts. Did fraser beat up your family member?

mikebel111*

LOL andddddd Zeke is back ladies and gentleman.

Seriously, is Ranger like your Brother/cousin/Best friend or something?

either that or Mark Fraser is your enemy of somesorts. Did fraser beat up your family member?

u can ask did kadri cheat on Jughead;'s sister or something?

glg51*

If it was up to HF board, we would have six undersized puck moving offensive defensemen.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
We need Fraser, he's a proven shutdown d-man

- can clear the front of the net
- will win board battles in our zone
- he has a good first past
- he doesn't turn the puck over
- intimidation factor/ can fight
- our best defensmen PKer

You can't leave this guy out of the lineup, He's our best shutdown defensmen... Ranger sits for a couple games.

Phaneuf - Gunnarson
Gardiner - Franson
Rielly - Fraser

Avec Fromage*

Send Rielly down or bench Ranger/Gunnarsson. Ranger has been steadily improving but he's not as good as Fraser.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad