Line Combos: Who sits?

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
Ranger has a NMC.....
That doesn't mean he can't be scratched. Why would we trade or demote him anyways? He signed with us because in Toronto is where he felt most comfortable to make his return. He signed a ridiculous low 1M, 1 year contract. He takes up 1.5% of our cap space making his cap hit a virtual non-factor. If we decide he doesn't fit in our top 6 he'll be scratched and won't be resigned. That's the absolute worst case scenario. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

Last edited:

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
I really miss Fraser's attitude, physical presence. Just having him on the ice sets a tone we have been missing. I think due to the way many experts have been saying leafs lost the identity they had last year is due to him being out of the line up. I could see him taking Ranger's spot he has been about as good as Fraser just he doesn't bring the physicality all the time. Gardiner was great last game, he has been a bit spotty but I don't think we can sit him after last game. Rielly has to play unless he is going back down that kid plays. He has been good, I can't wait to see him break out once he gets a goal and confidence shoots up even higher. Gunnarsson and Dion are staples back there, as well as Franson. When it boils down to it I think it has to be Ranger unless RC is going to experiment with Fraser and Ranger as a secondary shutdown pairing, the footspeed for both of them would be a bit scary IMO.

TL DR: I think he should replace Ranger, Gardiner is the only other option but he played too well against Anaheim to sit right now. Fraser kills penalties and is a warrior around the net, almost certain he would get us out of our fightless streak too when he returns.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
It's been 10 games for a guy who's been out of the NHL for 4 years. He's looking better every day. Ranger is infinitely better than Fraser and that will show come playoff time, hopefully- when making quicker outlets, skating out of the zone become that much more important.

Not to mention he's clearly been getting better everyday. Sit Fraser and put him in the odd game for the grind of an 82 game season. But Ranger shouldn't be a scratch long-term, especially not after 10 games when we know the type of player he is capable of being.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Fraser is really over-valued. He is a 15 min/night bottom pairing easy minutes defenseman. He can't move the puck well and was badly exposed on the FC in the Boston series.

That series didn't turn around until Fraser took a dent to the head and Gardiner got out of the PB and got minutes with Franson.

All the defenseman in front of him have much higher upside.

That being said I have no doubt Randy will use him when he comes back. This is the same coach that dressed Kostca and Fraser for the Boston series and had Gardiner in the PB.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
ya becus u only need 6 dmen, injuries will never come up again cus we've already had them, nice

We have lots of D man in the AHL who should be able to step up and help us....and I never said it would not be an AHL D man....as we would love to move Liles and have some cap space to keep 7 D man around all year.

RaskY

GLG
Dec 26, 2011
Ranger.

Apparently some people have been saying that he used to be a solid defenseman, and there's no way he can get back to that UNLESS he plays more. But I'd rather have a defenseman who's gonna be solid now and continue to play consistently rather than wait for one to possibly return to form, and even if he does, how good was he really before he went on his hiatus? I haven't liked what I've seen from him. He doesn't have great instincts and isn't as reliable as I'd like a bottom pairing defenseman to be. Fraser's a better fit IMO.

Tyler Biggs*

Franson was successful because Fraser watched his back...a real good match on D. Give Rielly the same type of D partner and he should do well...and Rielly is much better than Schenn, I mean his skill set is better...IMO....

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Trying to jog my memory.

Was Fraser playing with Gardiner at the beginning of the year?

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Trying to jog my memory.

Was Fraser playing with Gardiner at the beginning of the year?

Don't believe so. Spent time with JML, Kosco, and Obyrne for the most part.

Edit: sry, thought you meant last year.

Tyler Biggs*

Ranger is obviously the odd man out, Fraser will take his place once he gets back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad