NHL Entry Draft Who should we draft if we get our 2 picks between #4 and #6

Who should we draft if we get our 2 picks between #4 and #6?

• Total voters

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Or we take both Byfield and Stutzle at 2 and 3. Nice consolation prize if we don't get Lanfrenierre at 1. Getting TWO centers might be best as it would increase the probability of at least one of L.Brown/Byfield/Stutzle turning into a number 1 center.
That would be unbelievable, the center depth would be pretty amazing in the organization if they got both of them. Byfield, Stutzle, Norris, L. Brown, White.

In a couple years it could be a real strength some guys will move to the wing. Could see them moving Stutzle around to get guys going he is just instant offense and creativity. They could also load up a line with Byfield Tkachuk and Stutzle. Its exciting to think about.

In that scenario and players continue to develop in a few years the forwards could look something like this.

Tkachuk Byfield Batherson
Balcers Stutzle Duclair
Formenton Norris C. Brown
Paul L. Brown White

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
That would be unbelievable, the center depth would be pretty amazing in the organization if they got both of them. Byfield, Stutzle, Norris, L. Brown, White.

In a couple years it could be a real strength some guys will move to the wing. Could see them moving Stutzle around to get guys going he is just instant offense and creativity. They could also load up a line with Byfield Tkachuk and Stutzle. Its exciting to think about.

In that scenario and players continue to develop in a few years the forwards could look something like this.

Tkachuk Byfield Batherson
Balcers Stutzle Duclair
Formenton Norris C. Brown
Paul L. Brown White
I prefer Stutzle in lw with L.Brown in center for the second line , and White center the forth line with Hawryluk in rw

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I prefer Stutzle in lw with L.Brown in center for the second line , and White center the forth line with Hawryluk in rw
Abramov, Chlapik and Pinto will also be pusing for spots. They may pick another good forward from this draft as well. There are lots of possibilities thats the fun part, you can see the organizational depth. Almost makes you want to think about Drysdale in with the second first rounder. Not as much depth on D in the organization as forwards it appears.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Pinto is also coming and they may pick another good forward from this draft as well. There are lots of possibilities thats the fun part, you can see the organizational depth.
Yeah we can rebuild two team

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Abramov, Chlapik and Pinto will also be pusing for spots. They may pick another good forward from this draft as well. There are lots of possibilities thats the fun part, you can see the organizational depth. Almost makes you want to think about Drysdale in with the second first rounder. Not as much depth on D in the organization as forwards it appears.

If we manage to get one of Byfield or Laf, i think I'd take Drysdale regardless of where the pick isz excluding getting both Laf and Byfield.

I think a dominant D is a better chance at success than a top flight offence. Adding Drysdale to what we have could lead to a crazy D by 2022.

We could have
Chabot
Brannstrom
JBD
Thomson
Drysdale

In no particular order and that kind of D would bring massive help to any O by moving the puck out of the zone and up the ice.

Lots of guys around here are better at remembering lineups than me but i can't think of any lineup that had 5 1st round D in it.

The more i think about it, the more i am talking myself in to Drysdale

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
If we manage to get one of Byfield or Laf, i think I'd take Drysdale regardless of where the pick isz excluding getting both Laf and Byfield.

I think a dominant D is a better chance at success than a top flight offence. Adding Drysdale to what we have could lead to a crazy D by 2022.

We could have
Chabot
Brannstrom
JBD
Thomson
Drysdale

In no particular order and that kind of D would bring massive help to any O by moving the puck out of the zone and up the ice.

Lots of guys around here are better at remembering lineups than me but i can't think of any lineup that had 5 1st round D in it.

It's easy to talk oneself into Drysdale. Hes terrific and #4 overall on my list.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

We could have
Chabot
Brannstrom
JBD
Thomson
Drysdale

In 2011-12 they had Gonchar, Lee, EK, Cowen, Rundblad, Phillips as 1st's along with Carkner and Kuba, with Rundblad leaving 2 months into the season.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
In 2011-12 they had Gonchar, Lee, EK, Cowen, Rundblad, Phillips as 1st's along with Carkner and Kuba, with Rundblad leaving 2 months into the season.
There you have it. I told you people were better than me at remembering rosters. We had it in ottawa.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
There you have it. I told you people were better than me at remembering rosters. We had it in ottawa.
Tampa has Shattenkirk, Hedman, McDonagh, Couburn, Bogosian, Schenn and Sergachev playing for them this year as 1st round picks. 7/8 of their D are 1sts.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Hypothetical situation: Suppose we draft Byfield. Is there any way we can have the kid play a year (or even two) in a mens league in Europe, instead of going back to junior? Is there any protocols for that, or is it CHL or NHL for him?

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Hypothetical situation: Suppose we draft Byfield. Is there any way we can have the kid play a year (or even two) in a mens league in Europe, instead of going back to junior? Is there any protocols for that, or is it CHL or NHL for him?

Pretty sure his only option is the CHL. And that's where I'd want him to be. Hes not ready to play against men.

Why do you suggest it? Curious. :)

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Pretty sure his only option is the CHL. And that's where I'd want him to be. Hes not ready to play against men.

Why do you suggest it? Curious. :)

With his physical tools, I think he needs to learn how to use them properly against men. But at the same time, the NHL (and AHL) is too much for him. I think he is one of those rare cases where simply exerting his will against boys in the CHL won't do him any good. He needs to play against men in a pro environment, but to do it with smaller steps, not a direct transition to the NHL to get the most out of him.

He has Erik Lindros (without the meanness) potential, but he also has a really low floor for a top 2 pick if he's not developed properly. That's what scares me about him. A team picking him 2nd or 3rd will likely want to toss him into the NHL right away...and that may seriously stunt his development.

Reactions: Sweatred

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
With his physical tools, I think he needs to learn how to use them properly against men. But at the same time, the NHL (and AHL) is too much for him. I think he is one of those rare cases where simply exerting his will against boys in the CHL won't do him any good. He needs to play against men in a pro environment, but to do it with smaller steps, not a direct transition to the NHL to get the most out of him.

He has Erik Lindros (without the meanness) potential, but he also has a really low floor for a top 2 pick if he's not developed properly. That's what scares me about him. A team picking him 2nd or 3rd will likely want to toss him into the NHL right away...and that may seriously stunt his development.
I get what you're saying but putting up those points at 17 doesn't constitute a low floor for me.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010

I completely agree that playing in the CHL another year won't do him much good. But I don't exactly agree that sending him straight to the NHL will "stunt his development" (at least compared to playing CHL). I do think the Europe route could be beneficial. He's in a tough spot, where the CHL isn't going to help him learn the pro game, but the NHL is going to be a big step for him.

I'm not aware of any rules preventing him from going to Europe, but if it isn't an option he'll be fine in the NHL. Coach will shelter him, it'll be a rough go but he'll get through it ok. I can't imagine him full on busting, but maybe something along the lines of Ryan Johansen if he doesn't fully plan out.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

We could have
Chabot
Brannstrom
JBD
Thomson
Drysdale

I dont really think there is a wrong choice between Stutzle, Byfield and Drysdale. Just hope the sens go off their list and use BPA. Right now the organization needs as much elite talent it can get in just about every location in the organization. They all project to be first line or top pair d men. All three are different, I think the ceiling on both Stutzle and Byfield is higher but Drysdales floor is the highest. I dont think there is any chance he isnt a top pair d man, I just dont think he is a sure fire super star but he will be really solid. I see alot of projections of Pietreangelo who in my opinion is the best all around d man in the NHL right now. If he is indeed going to be that good then its hard to pass on.

However the upside of both Stutzle and Byfield is insane. Byfield if he hits his peak is a Malkin/Hossa hybrid, this is a player that can win hart trophies.

Stutzle oh man, from a pure offense and creativity stand point I think he has the highest ceiling his motor, vision and ability to make plays at high speed is reminiscent of Mcdavid. I clearly dont think he is Mcdavid but stylistically they have alot of similar traits. He hs rangy, creative and has the puck on a string he could compete for the art ross one day, he is already 6'1 and potentially could still grow. The thing that stands out to me most is his motor, wins so many 50/50 pucks.

I personally have no clue who i would take here but at this point i think that two picks in the top 4 is what I am praying for. I think the second tier is separating itself from the third the more i look at it.

Lafreniere

Stutzle
Drysdale
Byfield

Raymond
Lundell
Holtz
Rossi
Perfetti
Quinn

Sanderson
Holloway
Gunler
Lapierre
Jarvis
Mysak
Askarov
Amirov
Wallinder
Zary
Mercer

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Is there any case to be made to trade up into the top 3 if we have two between 4 and 6? And what pick do we do it for, and what pick would others give it up for?
I think so, the sens need to come out of this with a potential first line center, a top 3 pick assures that they get one or the best player in the draft. Id probably give up the Islanders pick to move up

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

I don’t think a year in junior would limit him. The Sens could keep him in the NHL for 20 games (play him every second game). After that he could go to junior and prep for U20’s. He still hasn’t dominated a WJ or a CHL playoff series.

Reactions: innocent bystander

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Which of these guys do you see as highest risk? I'm a bit worried about Byfield, to be honest. These days "big and skilled" makes me nervous. I'd hate to have to choose betweeen him and Stutzle or Drysdale. I bet he falls to 3 or maybe even 4 by draft day.

Reactions: Sweatred

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
I dont really think there is a wrong choice between Stutzle, Byfield and Drysdale. Just hope the sens go off their list and use BPA. Right now the organization needs as much elite talent it can get in just about every location in the organization. They all project to be first line or top pair d men. All three are different, I think the ceiling on both Stutzle and Byfield is higher but Drysdales floor is the highest. I dont think there is any chance he isnt a top pair d man, I just dont think he is a sure fire super star but he will be really solid. I see alot of projections of Pietreangelo who in my opinion is the best all around d man in the NHL right now. If he is indeed going to be that good then its hard to pass on.

However the upside of both Stutzle and Byfield is insane. Byfield if he hits his peak is a Malkin/Hossa hybrid, this is a player that can win hart trophies.

Stutzle oh man, from a pure offense and creativity stand point I think he has the highest ceiling his motor, vision and ability to make plays at high speed is reminiscent of Mcdavid. I clearly dont think he is Mcdavid but stylistically they have alot of similar traits. He hs rangy, creative and has the puck on a string he could compete for the art ross one day, he is already 6'1 and potentially could still grow. The thing that stands out to me most is his motor, wins so many 50/50 pucks.

I personally have no clue who i would take here but at this point i think that two picks in the top 4 is what I am praying for. I think the second tier is separating itself from the third the more i look at it.

Lafreniere

Stutzle
Drysdale
Byfield

Raymond
Lundell
Holtz
Rossi
Perfetti
Quinn

Sanderson
Holloway
Gunler
Lapierre
Jarvis
Mysak
Askarov
Amirov
Wallinder
Zary
Mercer

Interesting. I've heard Drysdale as a potential top 3 or 4 from a couple media scouting services, but this is the first time I that I can recall hearing it from anyone in this community.

I'm with BondraTime: Lafreniere, Byfield, Stützle and Raymond are the clear top four. But I generally tend to lean towards high end upside over safety, and Raymond has one of the highest ceilings in the draft. I'm just not as high on Perfetti as most though. Ridiculous skill and hockey sense but too many red flags for my liking.

Lapierre is going to freefall with no combine.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Interesting. I've heard Drysdale as a potential top 3 or 4 from a couple media scouting services, but this is the first time I that I can recall hearing it from anyone in this community.

I'm with BondraTime: Lafreniere, Byfield, Stützle and Raymond are the clear top four. But I generally tend to lean towards high end upside over safety, and Raymond has one of the highest ceilings in the draft. I'm just not as high on Perfetti as most though. Ridiculous skill and hockey sense but too many red flags for my liking.

Lapierre is going to freefall with no combine.

How many 17 year old D men are impact players on a championship level team Canada U20? It almost never happens, Drysdale's skating, escapability and puck poise is already incredibly elite. At 17 years old he is ahead of both Makar and Hughes who have very similar skill sets, superb skating and puck control. Drysdale has outplayed Byfield at both the Hlinka and the WJC playing a more difficult position. The thing that sold me on him most was his performance at the WJC when they moved him to LD forcing him to play his offside and he just got better as the game went on. Watching breakdowns of his game and watching that elite mobility makes him look like he cant miss to me.

If the sens have him or Chabot on the ice at all times they will very rarely be in their zone. He also comes off as a player, his interviews interactions, you can tell his teammates like him. Seems very very safe to be a top pairing D man to me.

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
Which of these guys do you see as highest risk? I'm a bit worried about Byfield, to be honest. These days "big and skilled" makes me nervous. I'd hate to have to choose betweeen him and Stutzle or Drysdale. I bet he falls to 3 or maybe even 4 by draft day.

For me Perfetti and Holtz much more than Byfield. I'll be shocked if Byfield doesn't turn out to be at least a good NHL player, maybe second line center. I do have him third though, behind Lafreniere and Raymond. Holtz and Perfetti are the only two in the top 11 that I wouldn't be that surprised if they flat out flop.

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
For me Perfetti and Holtz much more than Byfield. I'll be shocked if Byfield doesn't turn out to be at least a good NHL player, maybe second line center. I do have him third though, behind Lafreniere and Raymond. Holtz and Perfetti are the only two in the top 11 that I wouldn't be that surprised if they flat out flop.
Id be pretty suprised if either flop, Holtz has a pretty terrific work ethic and a powerful stride, his game seems to translate well to the pros, his shot is also incredible. I think he would be a good fit on Jersey with Hughes as he plays a heavier game of puck pursuit.

I think Perfetti is a higher risk player due to his skating, its ok but not elite so when you get a player that is based only on pure skill if they dont have the work rate they may not turn out. Would still suprise me if he isnt a 60 pt scoring winger.

You're a true believer in Raymond and I like it, have seen some people souring on him but I think he is an incredibly talented player with high upside. I would be pretty happy if he is a Senator on draft day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad