NHL Entry Draft Who should we draft if we get our 2 picks between #4 and #6

Who should we draft if we get our 2 picks between #4 and #6?

• Total voters

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The question was about Nick Suzuki, not Ryan. Nick Suzuki was a 41 point NHL player this year.
I am talking about both Suzuki's at the time of the draft arent as highly touted or have accomplished as much as Perfetti had at this point. Nick Suzuki had a great year, was really fading recently though.

Reactions: Samsquanch

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I am talking about both Suzuki's at the time of the draft arent as highly touted or have accomplished as much as Perfetti had at this point. Nick Suzuki had a great year, was really fading recently though.

It hurts me that you needed to clarify your point....

If the Sens walk away on draft day with a Suzuki level prospect (ie their caliber as of draft day) with either of those picks, Im going to hit something.

I think both Suzukis will be good players, but thats an insult to the 1st round of this draft imo.

Reactions: bert

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017

If the Sens walk away on draft day with a Suzuki level prospect (ie their caliber as of draft day) with either of those picks, Im going to hit something.

I think both Suzukis will be good players, but thats an insult to the 1st round of this draft imo.

If Rossi or Perfetti get 40-45 points as a 20 year old in the NHL, I'm totally fine with that. So should you be. Nick Suzuki was basically a full year younger than Rossi in his draft year (Aug v Sept), so I'm not sure he is the example you want to make here. He's an excellent young NHLer who has already established himself in the league with scoring line credibility and he is 20 years old. This after skipping over the AHL completely, so even more impressive to produce at that level with no pro experience to help transition. Perhaps your comment is more about upside, but I'm not sure Suzuki has shown anything to indicate his ceiling is that low.

Put another way, Suzuki had similar points to Tkachuk this year and would have been one of the Sens leading scorers with that production, but he's a year younger than Batherson. Are we ready to throw in the towel on The Drake because he can't crack the lineup of one of the lowest scoring teams in the NHL? I'm certainly not.

Reactions: Sweatred

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

I'm among those who think the Habs pool is always overated but Nick Suzuki, even if he has now graduated, is the bright spot among the Habs young players

Maybe he was not that highly touted on draft day but it doesn't matter. Mark Stone and Drake Batherson weren't as well. Initially, I wasn't talking about upside but more asking people to compare Perfetti and Rossi with Suzuki stylistically. He has great hockey sense and has a knack to be where he needs to be to make things happen. Nick Suzuki is going to be an excellent 1B Center, better than Kotkaniemi IMO. I wasn't that high on him before but he proved many wrong.

If we get Lafreniere (or Stutzle/Byfield/Raymond) and one player of Suzuki's caliber with the 2nd first, I don't think we should cry about it.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010

The f*** are you talking about. I was pointing out that Nick Suzuki is no longer a prospect "at this point".

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If Rossi or Perfetti get 40-45 points as a 20 year old in the NHL, I'm totally fine with that. So should you be. Nick Suzuki was basically a full year younger than Rossi in his draft year (Aug v Sept), so I'm not sure he is the example you want to make here. He's an excellent young NHLer who has already established himself in the league with scoring line credibility and he is 20 years old. This after skipping over the AHL completely, so even more impressive to produce at that level with no pro experience to help transition. Perhaps your comment is more about upside, but I'm not sure Suzuki has shown anything to indicate his ceiling is that low.

Put another way, Suzuki had similar points to Tkachuk this year and would have been one of the Sens leading scorers with that production, but he's a year younger than Batherson. Are we ready to throw in the towel on The Drake because he can't crack the lineup of one of the lowest scoring teams in the NHL? I'm certainly not.
Suzuki had all but stopped scoring once other teams started focusing on him and had video this year and frankly was playing with much better players than anyone on the sens were. He is a good player dont get me wrong but dont compare him to Tkachuk this year who is the main focal point of the sens forwards taking all the hardest matchups and was coming on at the end while Suzuki was fading. He also brings so much more to the table. Batherson likely produces very similarly to Suzuki in the same position.

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
Suzuki had all but stopped scoring once other teams started focusing on him and had video this year and frankly was playing with much better players than anyone on the sens were. He is a good player dont get me wrong but dont compare him to Tkachuk this year who is the main focal point of the sens forwards taking all the hardest matchups and was coming on at the end while Suzuki was fading. He also brings so much more to the table. Batherson likely produces very similarly to Suzuki in the same position.

I didn't compare him to Tkachuk. I simply pointed out they had similar production at the same age in the NHL to help give some context to a fellow Sens fan who likely thinks as highly as Tkachuk as I do, and also believes he had a great year. And I'll repeat, if Rossi or Perfetti are at the same level or production and the same type of impact as Suzuki at the same age, we should all be very happy. No one actually will be expected either of those players to make the same impact as Tkachuk a a teenager either. I get the point you were trying to make, it's just Suzuki was a really bad example to make it with. That was the point you seem to have missed.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I was surprised that Ottawa took Tkachuk over Zadina especially with the loss of Hoffman.
I am very happy that I was wrong. I would take Brady over anyone except Dahlin and maybe Svechnikov.

I will trust Dorion on this one.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Suzuki had all but stopped scoring once other teams started focusing on him and had video this year and frankly was playing with much better players than anyone on the sens were.

This happens to almost every rookie player. Hence the "sophomore jinx". Even Elias Pettersson his rookie year, after his insane start and then time lost to injury, when he came back teams were ready for him and his scoring pace slowed down. It's just another step forward young players have to make - going from playing mostly against third and fourth liners to first and second liners. How well he makes that adjustment will determine whether he's a perennial 40 point player or more. But the fact that he wasn't ready for it at 20 doesn't say much.

I'm actually surprised looking at his Vollman charts, he wasn't terribly sheltered on average over the course of the season.

Reactions: JungleBeat

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
How would you guys feel if we got say Rossi and drysdale?
OK.
If we are out of the top 2 with both picks. I would be ok with
Stutzle and Drysdale
Raymond and Drysdale
Rossi and Drysdale
Perfetti and Drysdale
Stutzle and Raymond
Stutzle and Rossi
Stutzle and Perfetti
Raymond and Rossi
Raymond and Perfetti
Rossi and Perfetti

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
OK.
Stutzle and Drysdale
Raymond and Drysdale
Rossi and Drysdale
Perfetti and Drysdale
Stutzle and Raymond
Stutzle and Rossi
Stutzle and Perfetti
Raymond and Rossi
Raymond and Perfetti
Rossi and Perfetti
Stutzle and Raymond would be the second best scenario after Lafrenière and Stutzle

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

WaitingInVain

Jul 5, 2012
OK.
Stutzle and Drysdale
Raymond and Drysdale
Rossi and Drysdale
Perfetti and Drysdale
Stutzle and Raymond
Stutzle and Rossi
Stutzle and Perfetti
Raymond and Rossi
Raymond and Perfetti
Rossi and Perfetti

Uhuh...

Let me make this simpler for the rest of the folks here:
Stutzle/Drysdale > Raymond > Rossi > Perfetti

I think I agree.

Reactions: Sweatred

Mookie McGee

Mar 4, 2020
Depending on the draft order, I think we play Anaheim and New Jersey against each other to move up for Drysdale, because both could really use some scoring from the back end. Get some thing very nice and drop a couple of spots and get a forward we wanted anyways. My son played with Drysdale one summer, and the kid can really move, but he was almost too nice for my liking, not really cut out for the mouth-smashing needed to do a great job around your own net, come playoff time especially.

My boy also played a fair amount with Hendrix Lapierre a few years back, and that kid always had the fire in his belly to make it. If he is there for the Islanders pick he might be a steal, but he has had a bunch of concussions, which makes it a risky pick.

Really want Lafreniere, but if not Byfield might be just as good for us, because with a super cheap owner, our best model may be the Kings recent glory years, to get tougher and have some very sizable scorers, and Byfield-Brown-Tkachuk might be nearly as big and powerful in the tough areas around the net as the old Legion of Doom line.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Laf, Drysdale, Stutz, Byfield, so long as we get one of those the rest will fall in to place. Laf, Stutz would be ideal. Not concerned about drysdale not being smash mouth in style, split him and Chabot with defensive types and let them quarterback. I think we’re going to have some grit anyways, guys like Brady and Formenton seem like natural agitators with the body to back it up. we don’t really have many small skilled guys in the pipe, everyone has size so time to add pure skill.

Reactions: Cosmix

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I think with Ottawa having the ability to scout Rossi more than anyone else, they will have very little issue drafting him as high as 4 if necessary.

They passed on Konecny (along with other teams) due to his size and concerns about how durable he could be, where as Rossi is built like a bulldog. In his first in the O, he put up better numbers than Konecny did in his draft year, so if you are looking at potential output, you have to think he could be a PPG+ player.

I think my preference would be Drysdale + Rossi, but I could see Ottawa packaging the NYI pick + some 2nds to take Sanderson. (LHD, American, committed to ND)

Either way, something like:

Rossi, Drysdale, Quinn
Or
Rossi, Holtz, Sanderson

Would be incredible.
Just wondering. IF things work out and we get say 2 and 4/5. Would you trade that 2 down to NJD for 6 and 10 giving 4/5, 6, 10 plus NYI 1st at 20ish. If they'd really want Byfield or top choice after Lafreniere. It means that 3 of Raymond, Drysdale, Rossi, Stutzle, Perfetti, Lunden, Holtz, Sanderson are all in play plus the NYI. I'd think pretty hard on that this year.
I often hear we have 9 picks in top three rounds - actually we have 10 in top 100 picks - and that's pretty interesting.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Just wondering. IF things work out and we get say 2 and 4/5. Would you trade that 2 down to NJD for 6 and 10 giving 4/5, 6, 10 plus NYI 1st at 20ish. If they'd really want Byfield or top choice after Lafreniere. It means that 3 of Raymond, Drysdale, Rossi, Stutzle, Perfetti, Lunden, Holtz, Sanderson are all in play plus the NYI. I'd think pretty hard on that this year.
I often hear we have 9 picks in top three rounds - actually we have 10 in top 100 picks - and that's pretty interesting.

No... At two I secure Byfield or Stutzle.... I’m softening a bit on Byfield at 2. In some ways I hope that choice is taking from us. Like we get a 1 and 3-6 and end up with Laf and Stutz or whoever without having to debate drafting Byfield at 2.

Or we get him at 4-5 and have an easier path to develop him in the junior/minors with less expectations.

Last edited:
Reactions: HF Reader

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I'd probably do it. Statistically I feel like it's just a better idea to get two players that high. Push for strength all through the roster, all under entry level at the same time.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
If we get 2nd, the lowest we can draft with our other pick is 5th.

X, Ottawa, Y, Détroit, Ottawa.

If we get 1st, worst case is still 5th.

Ottawa, X, Y, Détroit, Ottawa

As long as Ottawa/Detroit wins one of the lottery picks (84.8% odds), we're guaranteed 5th as lowest pick. Only way we get 6th is if all lottery winners were out of top 3 (15.2% odds).

Will be interesting to see between Stutzle and Byfield who gets taken 2nd OA.

Also interesting to see if there are any droppers a la Crouse, Zadina, Wahlstrom, Vilardi, Liljgren. Especially guys that drop out of the top 3-4 like Crouse and Zadina.

Also any climbers like Kotkiniemi/Hayton.

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
No... At two I secure Byfield or Stutzle.... I’m softening a bit on Byfield at 2. In some ways I hope that choice is taking from us. Like we get a 1 and 3-6 and end up with Laf and Stutz or whoever without having to debate drafting Byfield at 2.

Or we get him at 4-5 and have an easier path to develop him in the junior/minors with less expectations.

Or we take both Byfield and Stutzle at 2 and 3. Nice consolation prize if we don't get Lanfrenierre at 1. Getting TWO centers might be best as it would increase the probability of at least one of L.Brown/Byfield/Stutzle turning into a number 1 center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad