• Braun

• Tanev

• Trouba

• Parayko

• Faulk

Results are only viewable after voting.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Justin Braun: Connor Brown + tier 2 D prospect (Rasanen/Holl/Borgman/Rosen/Nielsen/Durzi)

Chris Tanev: Carrick, 1st rd pick, prospect not named Liljegren/Sandin/Grundstrom

Jacob Trouba: Nylander straight up

Colton Parayko : Nylander straight up

Justin Faulk: Kapanen + 1st rd pick

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Tanev or Braun. Faulk is interesting but doesn't fit our needs. I'd stronly consider Parayko given his cost, but I need to see what Willy comes in at price wise. Nylander could take a huge step forward and kill us on trading him.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
All of those with conditions. ie. Trouba is extended.

Is the feeling all of these guys are available or is this a fantasy question?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
1. Braun is declining.
2. Tanev should be a good target, but they seem to be asking more than he should be getting based on the injuries. Based on the injuries, might he be regressing too? His numbers are declining.
3. Trouba would cost a ton, and the only way to even trade for him, is with him extended, as there are rumours he wants to play in the States. He also is asking for more in $ than he has currently proven himself, though he could reach that level.
4. Parayko - I can't even see him being available, so no.
5. Faulk... a Right Handed, not even as good as Gardiner guy... pass.

Pesce, Spurgeon, Manson.... are better targets, if their teams would move them... which is unlikely.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
San Jose just acquired one of the best defenseman in the league for picks, one mid-tier NHL player and secondary prospects or young players.

The Leafs can get very creative if they want to add to the defensive core and it doesn't have to involve of the best young players in the league. I won't argue the "value" of the assets you listed.

I don't see many of the defensemen above being available anytime soon, but Tanev is probably the easiest to acquire and likely fits pretty much what Babcock and Dubas want. Faulk would also be a massive upgrade for us.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
1. Braun is declining.
2. Tanev should be a good target, but they seem to be asking more than he should be getting based on the injuries. Based on the injuries, might he be regressing too? His numbers are declining.
3. Trouba would cost a ton, and the only way to even trade for him, is with him extended, as there are rumours he wants to play in the States. He also is asking for more in $ than he has currently proven himself, though he could reach that level.
4. Parayko - I can't even see him being available, so no.
5. Faulk... a Right Handed, not even as good as Gardiner guy... pass.

Pesce, Spurgeon, Manson.... are better targets, if their teams would move them... which is unlikely.
The Wild are going to be sellers in the near future. That core is getting very long in the tooth. If they’re on the outside looking in by TD, it might be interesting to see Spurgeon’s price as a rental stopgap. He would have another year on his contract so it would hopefully be a seamless (relative) transition to Lilj

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
The Wild are going to be sellers in the near future. That core is getting very long in the tooth. If they’re on the outside looking in by TD, it might be interesting to see Spurgeon’s price as a rental stopgap. He would have another year on his contract so it would hopefully be a seamless (relative) transition to Lilj

Good call. Although I'd look at reupping Spurgeon is if he was acquired.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
One trade isn’t going to completely change the market but hopefully the EK deal does bring costs down a bit for a defender

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Petry, Pysyk, Pesce, and Parayko. The guys that I really want.

Wouldn't trade Tavares, Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Kadri, Rielly or Dermott for any of them though. Every other piece is available.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
No one

we don't have the cap space and the pkg of Levio-Neilson and a 3rd that most people would only offer doesn't get you a top 4 D

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Parayko and Trouba are exactly what Leafs need and are missing.

If Dubas is preaching "We before Me", with the We referring to teams best interest, than if either of these young stud RHD became available it should be seriously explored.

If the Me is simply an attachment to Nylander, then he isn't really practicing what he is preaching, if he isn't trying to make the Leafs better even if it costs good young player(s) in return. IMO

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
There's talk that Pesce could find himself on the bottom pairing in Carolina with Hamilton there now. In that case, he might be viewed as expendable. He's just the right type of player to target, if the price is reasonable.

As for the others:
- Braun is declining, I'd be wary of him.
- Tanev is not worth the price of acquisition.
- Wouldn't prefer another solution than giving up Willy for Trouba or Parayko.
- Faulk is the wrong kind of fit for us.

I'd rather look at Petry if we can't get Pesce. Pysyk as mentioned above is a good alternative as well. I really do hope we don't go into the season having Hainsey on our top pairing.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
We already spent a 1st-rounder on a highly skilled, blue-chip RHD - I'm content with that, unless someone like Pesce, Spurgeon, Manson, etc. becomes available for something like Kapanen/Brown and a pick.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
At the cost you've listed them, Braun or Parayko. Trouba wants to play in 'Murica, Tanev may or may not have been healthy that one time, and Faulk couldn't navigate the dzone with a map.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Adding a stable RD is important, doesn’t necessarily have to be here for 10yrs.
Braun could be a good stop gap ‘til Lili, Durzi, Lindgren emerge.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Justin Braun: Connor Brown + tier 2 D prospect (Rasanen/Holl/Borgman/Rosen/Nielsen/Durzi).
Verdict: For that price definitely. Buys us time to develop Liljegren.

Chris Tanev: Carrick, 1st rd pick, prospect not named Liljegren/Sandin/Grundstrom.
Verdict: Absolutely not if that's the cost. Overrated and far too injury prone

Jacob Trouba: Nylander straight up
Verdict: RFA after this season but more importantly could be a UFA after next year. Would need to have discussions on an extension.

Colton Parayko : Nylander straight up
Verdict: Definitely. 4 years @ 5.5 cap hit for a Dman of his quality would be great.

Justin Faulk: Kapanen + 1st rd pick
Verdict: Not the type of Dman we need

Other Names:

Trevor Daley: would be a lower cost acquisition but also comes with a lower cap at 3.16M that could fill the RD hole till Liljegren develops.

Jeff Petry: very good Dman on a team who's undergoing a rebuild.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Braun I think. He just has the best offensive season of his career, hits and Gvys are good, does pk and plays over 20:00 per night. I am not seeing any decline, unless it is somewhere hidden in his advanced stats. No health issues. At $3.8M he is too pricey to roll as a 3rd pairing D., especially with the huge TOI EK and Burns will be logging. He does more things than Tanev and he will give you 80 games so no comparison IMO. It wouldn't surprise me if the Sharks are somewhat motivated sellers.

Trouba would cost too many assets for his proven value I think, and unless they are taking Zaitsev back the club would have money issues resigning him, even if he was okay staying in Canada.

I probably wouldn't trade Willie (unless he forced it), so that kind of kills a Parayko deal. I am not a monster Willie fanboy but based on his first two seasons his potential upside makes any deal a potential Hull/St Louis/Iginla move where the guy is feeding it to you for the next decade. 1st round picks and the best prospects in the system might get it done value wise, but the Blues are built to win today so I expect they want an impact player in return. I still can't see why they would deal him though.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Braun for a 2nd woudn't be terrible.

Rielly - Braun
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Ozhiganov
Hainsey

Run 7 D so we don't break Hainsey and give him primarily D starts and Penalty kill.

Have one of Tavares, Matthews, Kadri take extra shifts with the 4th line or have Brown/Kapanen/Johnsson play both on 3rd and 4th line. Shoutout to the Steve Dangle podcast for that take on the lineup.

2019-2020

Rielly - Braun
Dermott - Zaitsev
Borgman - Ozhiganov

We could run something like this while waiting for Durzi, Liljgren whoever to develop on the right side. That would be my plan. If Zaitsev returns to form and Ozhiganov/Carrick whoever plays well that could be a decent option for us.

I don't think we will ever be able to afford a #1 RHD so we have to make use of what we can get.

Reactions: Ricky Bobby

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad