Who Should the Flyers Draft At 7th Overall?

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
HF7 certainly seems to be leaning that way.

We both acknowledged players who play physical games probably tend to break down earlier than those who don't.

We just disagreed that bigger players are more resistant to breaking down than smaller players.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
We both acknowledged players who play physical games probably tend to break down earlier than those who don't.

We just disagreed that bigger players are more resistant to breaking down than smaller players.

What? My entire point is that Richards's style was the primary factor in his regression, not his size...
Gotcha. Jumped in at the end of the thread and didn't read it all. I agree with that then.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Why? What if more physical players are more physical because they are more "durable" in the first place?

How would that be the case?

There's a pretty simple rationale for the reverse, though. Physical contact creates injuries. Perimeter players avoid contact. Physical players seek contact. Ergo physical players break down easier.

It's not hard and fast, and I don't know if I necessarily subscribe to that rationale, but I think it makes a hell of a lot more sense than the way you'd put it.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Why? What if more physical players are more physical because they are more "durable" in the first place?

I really don't think it works that way.

Physical collisions, especially in this day and age, can be like car accidents. I do think players who subject their bodies to more contact suffer more wear and tear and injuries than those who avoid it.

I just don't think size significantly protects against injury and wearing down. I think that is a fallacy. In fact, just like lighter runners have more endurance than heavier runners, I think lighter players probably have more stamina than bigger guys.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
How would that be the case?

There's a pretty simple rationale for the reverse, though. Physical contact creates injuries. Perimeter players avoid contact. Physical players seek contact. Ergo physical players break down easier.

It's not hard and fast, and I don't know if I necessarily subscribe to that rationale, but I think it makes a hell of a lot more sense than the way you'd put it.
Here's my rationale for how that could be the case. If you're a fragile kid that's always getting hurt, you're probably not going to take up boxing or competitive martial arts and will stick to non-contact sports. Analogously, if you do find a sport interesting, you might want to play it no matter what, but will do so in the manner that involves least amount of stress and contact. For example, I played football for years and there would be guys who'd always play rougher, really fighting for position, heavier on the legs, more firm in contact when in a one-on-one duel etc. On the other hand, you'd have guys who tried to stay away from that as much as possible, and just focus on their skills and other aspects of the game that don't need contact in order for a play to be successful. I've never played hockey, but I'd imagine it's similar. Yes, you cannot avoid contact (same as you can't in football unless you're a goalie), but you can adjust how much you engage in willingly.

So yeah, being a perimeter player might seem safer in that there will be less collisions. But if your rate of injury resulting from a collision is on average higher, then you just might end up in the same place.

Fulton44*

I think the Flyers will look back with regret fir many years if they have a chance to draft Ivan Provorov and pass him up just because they "need" a forward.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I think the Flyers will look back with regret fir many years if they have a chance to draft Ivan Provorov and pass him up just because they "need" a forward.

I doubt Provorov has the high end ceiling to make you regret passing him up THAT much. There will probably be a player or two the Flyers pass up at 7 who will turn out to be stars, but I'd have Provorov down the list in that regard.

FlyerFire

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
I doubt Provorov has the high end ceiling to make you regret passing him up THAT much. There will probably be a player or two the Flyers pass up at 7 who will turn out to be stars, but I'd have Provorov down the list in that regard.

From what I've gathered hes a pretty safe bet

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
What? My entire point is that Richards's style was the primary factor in his regression, not his size...

Richards' style and his pathological aversion to conditioning and weightlifting and getting his rest between games is what precipitated his rapid decline. Carter grew up, Mike didn't.

Given the recent charges against Stoll, it seems there are still some partiers on the Kings.

Kimmo's recent comments about how dedicated the Hawks are off the ice is a clarion call to the Flyers and a big reason they should name him Asst Coach in charge of the D right now.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
Richards' style and his pathological aversion to conditioning and weightlifting and getting his rest between games is what precipitated his rapid decline. Carter grew up, Mike didn't.

Given the recent charges against Stoll, it seems there are still some partiers on the Kings.

Kimmo's recent comments about how dedicated the Hawks are off the ice is a clarion call to the Flyers and a big reason they should name him Asst Coach in charge of the D right now.

Timonen said he doesn't want to coach right now.

Willis88

Oct 5, 2011
Philadelphia

Nothing against Kimmo but I would not want him named assistant coach. I'd rather take a coach with experience and not a guy who was just a former teammate 1 year ago.

Reduxs

Jun 25, 2012
Lakeland, FL
Ok, then make him a Player Development guy and he can tell all the kids what it takes to be NHL winners... :)

Most people know what it takes to be a winner, regardless of what you do in life. Few people are actually willing to take that advice and completely dedicate themselves. Kimmo can tell kids all day until he's blue in the face what it takes to be a winner, but those kids have to want it.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Most people know what it takes to be a winner, regardless of what you do in life. Few people are actually willing to take that advice and completely dedicate themselves. Kimmo can tell kids all day until he's blue in the face what it takes to be a winner, but those kids have to want it.
Yeah, kids these days just want to play, and they're always too stubborn to listen to advice telling them it's being a benchwarmer that gets you the hardware :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad