Speculation: Who should the Flyers amnesty?

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
No question in my mind. You get rid of Bryz. With Briere you have a proven playoff guy when he's healthy. Plus he doesn't have to move. He has all the cards.

Bryz on the other hand has shown nothing in two seasons. To hold on to a goalie that you feel you must play and one that sucks is stupid. Kick him to the curb as soon as possible, he demoralizes the team, he is like cancer. We could pay a lot less for a goalie and get the same results, probably better and have money for better defense. Someone to replace Mez. I like Mez but he is injury prone.

If our defense was healthy using Bryz's money could put us over the top on d using it acquire a top guy.

Not to sure how Mason fits into all this, but he doesn't have to be the one. There really isn't any top goalies available anyway. Maybe it's time to bring up one of our own and live through it.

Briere's NMC doesn't affect the compliance buyout. He has no say in that.

Codith

Aug 31, 2010
White is Solid, Streit is a good offensive Dman, and Scuderi is the type of guy you want come playoff time

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
Yes, but it would be a waste to pay Briere not to play, but it wouldn't be for Bryz.

buff

Aug 16, 2005
Quebec city
Bryz... Bryz... And yes again Bryz!!

I'll keep Brière!!! He can play better than he played this season...

Flashspec

Jan 7, 2009
Toronto, ON
Do you guys think that if Bernier is available this summer (and I assume that he is), that the Flyers would pursue him? If so, I am wondering if buying out Bryz would depend on Bernier coming to Philly. From what I've heard so far, it seems that he is a likely candidate for a trade this summer and I'd imagine he doesn't want to sit behind Quick for too long.

If getting Bernier (or any other suitable alternative) isn't possible, I'm all for Bryzgalov staying another year. I think his because of his contract, he likely gets bought out anyway next year (unless he goes on some miraculous Conn Smythe type run and lands the Flyers a cup).

whatthef

Failure is an Option
Mar 1, 2007
Upper Darby
Briere this summer for sure. He doesn't seem to have much left, and at his age I don't see him rebounding to a level where I would feel ok about having his cap hit on the books. Yes he's a proven playoff performer, but that was in the past and he'll be 36 next season. Other than a handful of guys (Lidstrom) at 36 years old their game really regress and I don't see Briere being one of those guys that can play at his past level at that age.

Bryz I'm fine with waiting until next summer to possibly amnesty him. There doesn't look to be anything great on the FA market this summer for goal tending. It gives a year to sort out the goal tending situation either making a trade or moving forward with Bryz or Mason. If Homer is able to trade for another goalie then I'd probably be in favor of buying out Bryz., but I'm not ready to hand over the goal tending to Mason and a question mark.

Mez has been bad this year and injury prone in general. I would prefer not to have him on the team. But there is a possibility you could find someone who would trade for him (not a huge possibility but certainly more so than Bryz or Briere). Besides with his history there is a decent likely hood he ends up on LTIR anyway.

Pronger goes on LTIR no need to buy him out when other clearly need it more.

Last edited:

whatthef

Failure is an Option
Mar 1, 2007
Upper Darby
Serious question, why buy out Bryz next summer, why not this summer? In case Mason falters, WTF is Bryz going to do if Mason blows? Bring more suckness? Seriously that 5.6 million could be used for much more needs this summer. Buy his ass out already!!!

As bad as Bryz was for most of last season Mason was worse, and has been at that awful level for about 4 seasons now. As we all know goal tending is pretty important. So unless you are either willing to potential tank the season or bring in another good option at goal tending I would hang on to Bryz rather than just turn over our goal tending to one of the worst starting goalies in the NHL over the last 4 seasons.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
As bad as Bryz was for most of last season Mason was worse, and has been at that awful level for about 4 seasons now. As we all know goal tending is pretty important. So unless you are either willing to potential tank the season or bring in another good option at goal tending I would hang on to Bryz rather than just turn over our goal tending to one of the worst starting goalies in the NHL over the last 4 seasons.

Then I hope the flyers have something planned this offseason, because I can't go through another season with Bryz as our goalie.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
I like Briere and I support him, but, this season has given me a sour taste of Briere in my mouth. He's gotta go this summer.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I would trade Coburn and Mesz if we could land 1-2 of the following

Streit, Mark » D NYI 35 $4,100,000 2013 (UFA)
Scuderi, Rob » D LAK 34 $3,400,000 2013 (UFA)
White, Ian » D DET 28 $2,875,000 2013 (UFA)

Mez I have no problem dealing. Trading Mez and signing one of those guys is a good plan. But of those three, only Streit is as good as Coburn, and he is 35. Not a long term solution by any means, and that is really only a lateral move (and that is only if he agrees to play here). So you get an older, potentially more expensive guy in hopes that whatever you get for Coburn some day down the road is a top 4 defenseman.

While I do agree with the statement that the free agency pool is nothing special, I expect they will try and move coburn in a package for an offensive D-man. So it would be Coburn + for a player who can provide breakout passes. However, if we get Jones expect everything with this team to change.

Maybe trade Cobrun to move up in the draft. I used to be a big fan, but Coburn just really doesn't have the offensive skillset this team needs and with Schenn and Grossman here, his value to us has gone down even more.

Trading Coburn for a player that can replace him is fine. I am not sure who that target would be, but if they got someone who could fill in for Coburn (or do better, opviously) I would be ok with it.

I would not trade him to move up in the draft. That doesn't solve any of this team's problems in the present (or even near future). It creates a hole on defense that is unlikely to be filled in the near future, and potentially will have a negative impact if whomever is drafted never lives up to his potential. I suppose if it meant getting Jones I would be ok with it, but that is still a risk.

The four guys I look at are Regehr, White, Streit, and Hainsey. Obviously not all 4 but one or two.

I don't think Regehr and White are as good as Coburn. Streit and Hainsey are probably pretty good comparables. The challenge would be signing them. My guess is Hainsey is the #1 UFA defenseman target and will probably get the most interest, which means his price will likely be higher than what Coburn's is. Streit will be 36 next year and while he probably has a year or two left of solid hockey in him, I am not sure I would risk that in favor of losing Coburn for a pick or two.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
What is the actual rule?

Do they have to pass a physical before being bought out, or is it simply about LTIR status?

I don't know if they have to pass a physical, but they do have to be cleared to play by (independent?) doctors. They might be able to come to a settlement too (see: Chris Drury)

bungle

Casual Observer
Jan 20, 2006
LA
At least Briere shows up in the playoffs. I'd rather see Bryz go this summer.

Also, awesome picture of Pronger in that article. Man I miss having him on the team.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
One silver lining about all of this is that we had half of a season to assess some players (cough cough ..Bryz) and the team in general..and that it was only half of a season! The strike in some ways helped narrow the transition period the Flyers are in...

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
At least Briere shows up in the playoffs. I'd rather see Bryz go this summer.

Also, awesome picture of Pronger in that article. Man I miss having him on the team.

Briere has to go this summer. I need a player who is making over six million dollars to show up all year long. He is way to injury prone now and I have concerns about the concussion issue. This will give the Mason and Bryzgalov tandem another year and if it does not work out Bryz can be brought out then. With all the injuries to the team's defense this season and the young core players growing I feel we need the summer to get healthy, make some moves, draft some more young talent and come back ready to roll.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I don't think Regehr and White are as good as Coburn. Streit and Hainsey are probably pretty good comparables. The challenge would be signing them. My guess is Hainsey is the #1 UFA defenseman target and will probably get the most interest, which means his price will likely be higher than what Coburn's is. Streit will be 36 next year and while he probably has a year or two left of solid hockey in him, I am not sure I would risk that in favor of losing Coburn for a pick or two.

Regehr is better then Coburn, Not a fan of White. The thing you get with Regehr is something you don't get with Coburn. consistency. Regehr has always been a good, solid consistent defender.
it would be a mistake to trade Coburn without a plan in place. That I agree with.
Coburn might be the most frustrating player on the roster. He is a guy that has all the physical tools and he just doesn't get it. For him I really think its all above the shoulders. He is like Pitkanen in that regard.

ill bring the name up again. Coburn is a bigger version of Randy Jones. Thats what I see when I see Coburn play.

GingerFetish

Feb 26, 2013
Resign Rusty, Gagne and Rinaldo

Buyout Briere and Mez, that's a lot of cap space.

Keep Bryz for another year.

Get an actual forward and a defenseman that isn't invisible like Briere and doesn't break like Mez.

Preferably top both of those, loaded offer sheets. :3

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Resign Rusty, Gagne and Rinaldo

Buyout Briere and Mez, that's a lot of cap space.

Keep Bryz for another year.

Get an actual forward and a defenseman that doesn't break like Mez.

i think only Rinaldo will be back out of those 3. i think the Flyers may give every opportunity for Laughton and Cousins to win roster spots next year.
If Mez is healthy you can trade him. Someone may risk a midlevel pick for him. If not he has 1 year left. Really not wise to burn a amnesty on a guy with 1 year left who has some value when healthy.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Regehr is better then Coburn, Not a fan of White. The thing you get with Regehr is something you don't get with Coburn. consistency. Regehr has always been a good, solid consistent defender.
it would be a mistake to trade Coburn without a plan in place. That I agree with.
Coburn might be the most frustrating player on the roster. He is a guy that has all the physical tools and he just doesn't get it. For him I really think its all above the shoulders. He is like Pitkanen in that regard.

ill bring the name up again. Coburn is a bigger version of Randy Jones. Thats what I see when I see Coburn play.

I'm not sure what makes you think Regher is better than Coburn. Coburn has outscored him in every season except one since being an NHL regular (in which he was one point behind Regehr but was a +15 to Regehr's +2). Coburn has also been solid defensively throughout his entire NHL career, despite his recent poor season in which the entire team has consistently struggled. I'm not saying Coburn is a great Norris trophy defender, but I am not sure exactly what you see in Regehr that would make you think he is better than Coburn. It can't be his offense since Coburn has 30 points less than Regehr in less than half the games played, so it has to be his defense. While Regehr is good defensively, Coburn is at least on the same level. Again, Coburn hasn't looked great this year, but I don't think that he is all of the sudden not as good as Robyn Regehr. And isn't an offensive PMD what this team is looking for? While Coburn may not be the best defender out there from an offensive potential standpoint, he is clearly better than Regehr in that respect. Why downgrade a position of need (i.e. offense from the blueline)?

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ
There is no point to buying out Mez. He will have surgery or do what ever he needs to do to be healthy for the start of next season. He will either play or if injured, be put on LTIR and we'll be done with him. It will be the last year of his contract.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
i think only Rinaldo will be back out of those 3. i think the Flyers may give every opportunity for Laughton and Cousins to win roster spots next year.
If Mez is healthy you can trade him. Someone may risk a midlevel pick for him. If not he has 1 year left. Really not wise to burn a amnesty on a guy with 1 year left who has some value when healthy.

The spent a 4th rounder on Gagne, and he's shown he still has enough game to play third line minutes. He's worth signing to a 2-year deal, at around $2 million annually.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Briere has to go this summer. I need a player who is making over six million dollars to show up all year long. He is way to injury prone now and I have concerns about the concussion issue. This will give the Mason and Bryzgalov tandem another year and if it does not work out Bryz can be brought out then. With all the injuries to the team's defense this season and the young core players growing I feel we need the summer to get healthy, make some moves, draft some more young talent and come back ready to roll.

We need to see what Briere does in the playoffs this......oh wait :sarcasm:

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
There is no point to buying out Mez. He will have surgery or do what ever he needs to do to be healthy for the start of next season. He will either play or if injured, be put on LTIR and we'll be done with him. It will be the last year of his contract.

Yup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad