Speculation: Who should the Flyers amnesty?

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
This year I would probably just go Briere and save one in the chamber for Bryz the following summer. I think part of his struggles are because he's asked to play so many games, I think spelling him with a veteran backup and keeping him fresh would do a lot of good.

Plus as people have mentioned in other threads, it guarantees holmgren can't blow the cap space we'll need for the RFAs we have after 2014.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
In all seriousness, I think Briere is this summer. Bryzgalov next summer. I can't justify buying out Meszaros when he could honestly get a draft pick even if he is injured. Might as well maximize return.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I agree with this order. Meszaros has the greatest potential of being a valuable player at his position and/or being dealt for cap relief and maybe even an ultra-valuable 3rd-round pick.

That 3rd rounder could turn into Cousins.
We all know what makes sense to do regarding amnesty. But the Flyers have done things their own way for how long now? Hard to tell what they are going to do this summer.

RJ8812*

I agree with this order. Meszaros has the greatest potential of being a valuable player at his position and/or being dealt for cap relief and maybe even an ultra-valuable 3rd-round pick.

then all those people who complained about giving up a 3rd for Mason can be happy we replaced our lost draft pick!

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
At the very least, Meszaros has trade value at next year's deadline if healthy. He actually looked good in his first few games this season. I think it is unlikely he gets bought out.

Pronger cannot be bought out.

Does Briere have any trade value? He might have at the deadline and will again next deadline. With his small salary and buyout amount, I hope Homer can trade him to a team he agrees (likely a cap floor team) rather than using one of two compliance buyouts. His cap is too big to be on this team next year IMO vs his production and minutes taken away from developing players.

Bryzgalov will likely be bought out next season IMO. I think it depends on the discussion window with UFAs where the Flyers may agree to sign (ex Howard) July 1 and accordingly buyout Bryz. I assume he will suck again next year and be bought out then when the team needs to sign G, Couturier, Schenn and Read.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
In all seriousness, I think Briere is this summer. Bryzgalov next summer. I can't justify buying out Meszaros when he could honestly get a draft pick even if he is injured. Might as well maximize return.

I agree with everything you stated. Briere has to be moved this summer and with the extension of Mason for another year it gives Bryz another year to prove himself to the organization.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
First and foremost should be Briere. Mez can be traded, even if it's a low pick (maybe a 3rd or 4th?) and if he's healthy. I still believe we should hang onto Bryz for another year, and then decide for the next off-season for what to do (mainly considering how much of a wasteland the UFA market for goalies is this off-season).

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Depends how Bryz, Mason, and Timonen finish the season

If Timonen blows and looks exhausted the rest of the season: Briere and Kimmo

If Bryz blows the rest of the season and Mason looks good: Briere and Bryz

If Mason blows in his few opportunities the rest of the season: Briere and Mez (maybe)

If all 3 are good, stick with Briere and see if Bryz can be dealt for anything. ANYTHING. Then buy out Mez as well.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Briere is the only one I think that will be bought out this year. I think they are going to hold on to the other one to see how Bryz plays next year.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Also I don't think you should buyout Mez. While his injuries suck, if he is healthy he is a solid defender, and he should be able to be traded rather than being bought out. If only for a draft pick or something.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Buyout Briere, trade Mez at the draft for a 3rd or something. Give Bryz another year to get his **** together, and if mason plays well next season and Stolarz continues to develop like he currently it, buyout Bryz and sign a stopgap for a couple years until Stolarz is ready.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
Probably just Briere. Unless the team somehow makes the playoffs and he comes back and plays his normal playoff Briere role. Its not like you can free up cap space and then go out and sign a top player though. Top players are hard to get and by the looks of things will cost a lot of money now.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Probably just Briere. Unless the team somehow makes the playoffs and he comes back and plays his normal playoff Briere role. Its not like you can free up cap space and then go out and sign a top player though. Top players are hard to get and by the looks of things will cost a lot of money now.

While we might not sign any key free agents the caps coming down and somebody has to go and Briere is the likely choice. This is such a layup I can't even see our management screwing this up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad