Speculation: Who should the Flyers amnesty?

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
And apparently he already anticipates the move. Good read on this topic including Briere's view on things and how he prepares his kids on potential changes coming up: http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/danny-briere-knows-hes-likely-facing-buyout

I like his attitude about it all.....total opposite from Bryz who is less professional about being confronted with a buyout by the media

He admitted on Thursday he’s playing to remain a Flyer, and that he understands amnesty is a legitimate obstacle right now. He almost concedes it’s going to happen this summer, regardless.

“Definitely,” he said. “It’s reality. There’s no doubt about it. But at the same time, those are things I can’t control at this moment. All I can control is for me to come back into the lineup and play as good as I can, to show them. Other than that, I can’t worry about injuries or what they are going to decide to do. That’s out of my control at this point.

“It was agreed by both the players and owners. So no, I can’t complain about that. I end up being the one to pay the price. But you know what, there have been so many good things that turned in my favor over the years that I won’t complain about that.”

There was no plan to go anywhere,” said Briere, who has a no-movement clause. “I believe in this team. I want to be [here]. I can’t control if they decide to buy me out, but this is where I want to be at this point. Kids being here (Briere has three sons), it'd be tough to go somewhere else. I want to be here and I will try everything in my power to stay here.”

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Sounds like he won't be waiving for a trade.

I'm not sure about that....if they confront him I'm sure he'll comply.....he has pride and won't want to be somewhere where he is not wanted but he knows it will be mostly for business reasons. Bryz on the other hand will get the Bryzness for being a crappy teammate from a public viewpoint at least....unclear how he really is in the locker room but he seems like a lone wolf type..marches to the beat of his own drummer in a crappy attitude way.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Sounds like he won't be waiving for a trade.

As much as I wish he would waive it if a team came calling the Flyers about him. I can't really blame him for not doing so he's looking out for himself which most fans would do too if they were in that position whether they would like to admit it or not. Would it be nice if he did the Flyers a solid sure, but he doesn't owe it to them to do so.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
As much as I wish he would waive it if a team came calling the Flyers about him. I can't really blame him for not doing so he's looking out for himself which most fans would do too if they were in that position whether they would like to admit it or not.

Agreed. That chance came and went when he was injured at the deadline. An extra shot at the cup might have been enough to get him to leave some money on the table, but at this point, he really has no reason to waive his NMC.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Homer would be stupid not to accept any trade offer for Briere. If a team comes knocking with a decent offer, you do all you can to make sure Briere waives his NMC
Briere has absolutely no incentive to waive his NMC, though. He can just accept the giant amnesty buyout paycheck, then sign with whomever he wants in the offseason.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Briere has absolutely no incentive to waive his NMC, though. He can just accept the giant amnesty buyout paycheck, then sign with whomever he wants in the offseason.

It's actually not all that giant by NHL standards (by you or I winning the lottery standards, yes!). It was in one of the papers. Due $3MM then $2MM over the next two years. Buy out is $3.3 million, spread out over 4 years. That will barely cover his alimony.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I think Briere definitely goes.....Flyers may stick with Bryz for another year and just hope that Mason can push Bryz or eventually take over if he gets back his rookie year mojo.

RoDu

May 22, 2003
Winnipeg
Visit site
def amnesty Briere, I guess give Bryz one last shot then he gets the ax if he falters again, Mez is deserving but he has to be healthy, but his contract is now short term is it not?

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
It's actually not all that giant by NHL standards (by you or I winning the lottery standards, yes!). It was in one of the papers. Due $3MM then $2MM over the next two years. Buy out is $3.3 million, spread out over 4 years. That will barely cover his alimony.
That's the same amount as the remainder of his contract. If he gets bought out, he gets the money he would have gotten anyway plus the money from any additional contract he signs. Or he just retire after the amnesty buyout, and just chill with his kids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad