Who should the Canucks target as their next GM?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Even with those two the Canucks have been a basement team essentially the entire time Benning has been here. How long do you actually want to give him before realizing that he's not the best person for the job? 6 years? 7? 8? We're at the half-decade mark and we still suck with no guarantee next year is going to be any better.

A successful rebuild takes 5-7 years typically. Don't let EA sports tell you otherwise.

-This team started re[building/tooling/whateveryouwanttocallit] back in 2014 when they traded Luongo.

-Deadline 2019 (a few days ago) until Deadline 2021 is the time for judgement in opinion.

The next two years should be pretty telling as to whether this rebuild was a successful one or not. My opinion was as follows:

-2019: Miss the playoffs but come close. We turn heads. (this season)
-2020: 1st round loss (next season)
-2021: Dark Horse and beyond.

Reactions: JimmyJiveJones

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
A successful rebuild takes 5-7 years typically. Don't let EA sports tell you otherwise.

-This team started re[building/tooling/whateveryouwanttocallit] back in 2014 when they traded Luongo.

-Deadline 2019 (a few days ago) until Deadline 2021 is the time for judgement in opinion.

The next two years should be pretty telling as to whether this rebuild was a successful one or not. My opinion was as follows:

-2019: Miss the playoffs but come close. We turn heads. (this season)
-2020: 1st round loss (next season)
-2021: Dark Horse and beyond.

Let's see if you're right. Personally I think it shouldn't take 7 years if done correctly. The San Jose's, Boston's, Nashvilles even have been competitive every year because their management have recognized which pieces to keep and which to move out when they're past their expiry date.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
Your team is exceeding expectations with guys like EP BB and BH, not convinced he drafted BH but u got Quinn Hughes coming too. All guys Benning has drafted.

Hes not terrible. You are just in the midst of a rebuild.

Wrong.

He had two 5th overall draft picks, a 6th, a 7th, a 23rd, and a 24th overall draft pick across 5 drafts just counting first rounders.

What should be the expected value out of all those picks and what is the result? What would an average GM have gotten with those picks? What if we made some guy off the street GM and he decided to fire the entire amateur scouting department to save money and just used McKenzie's draft list to select players?

You're just looking at the result without having any kind of baseline to compare.

And that's not even getting into the fact that there's a ton of luck involved in the draft to begin with.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
I want Benning gone but this thread is kinda pre-mature. He's not gone yet. Even the best gms will eventually be fired but until then, this thread is speculating on the gm market which can change a lot in a year. Benning is here fore at least another year probably 2.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Except you’re wrong. This is all wrong. Benning should be fired. Worst team in the NHL over the last 4 seasons despite Benning trying to be good. He’s the worst GM in team history.
Shitcanned. Pink slipped. Driven to the airport. Fired out of a cannon.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I want Benning gone but this thread is kinda pre-mature. He's not gone yet. Even the best gms will eventually be fired but until then, this thread is speculating on the gm market which can change a lot in a year. Benning is here fore at least another year probably 2.

Be the change you want to be.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I think Benning gets 1 more year. He will sign big UFAs this summer and If they work out an Canucks make the playoffs next year and Hughes is awesome then I wouldnt be shocked if Benning gets an extension.

If he gets fired after this season then someone like Ken Holland might be a great fit w. The Canucks.

Yes let's keep around the guy who without fail brings on at minimum one cap anchor contract per year during free agency so he can make our team even more difficult to fix for the next GM.

Reactions: MS

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Be the change you want to be.

The Canucks should target a president to properly evaluate the organization's management skills.

We're severely poor in several areas such as Cap management and pro scouting. Both of which need overhauling. I suggest the new president find a GM who is capable of helping him make big changes to these areas.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
This speculation reminded me of the end of Gillis' tenure. Found the thread when Benning was originally hired (Confirmed with Link: - Jim Benning named GM of Vancouver (MOD WARNING Post #274)), and it seemed like most people (probably myself included) were more concerned about Linden's lack of experience than Benning. Even Y2K liked the hire at the time.

Crazy how much can change in 5 years time. The GM's we're talking about in this thread could (someday) be hired and then hated in the same breath.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Your team is exceeding expectations with guys like EP BB and BH, not convinced he drafted BH but u got Quinn Hughes coming too. All guys Benning has drafted.

Hes not terrible. You are just in the midst of a rebuild.

Our top 9 could have easily included DeBrincat, Tkachuk, Nylander/Ehlers, and McCann. We traded the 33rd overall pick (when our scouts were high on DeBrincat) and McCann for Gudbranson. We selected Juolevi over the unanimous Tkachuk selection. And then taking Virtanen over Nylander/Ehlers was also a mistake, albeit not as egregious as the aforementioned ones.

This doesn't even include his various blunders in giving up unnecessary draft picks in trades (e.g. why would you add a 5th round pick with Kassian to get Prust?). Benning is also notorious for making dumb shortcut trades where he deals futures for project prospects, such as 2nd for Vey, Forsling for Clendening, 3rd for Pedan, 4th for Pouliot, etc. He's traded away more draft picks than we've received. This is not what a rebuilding team does.

Our team is not 'exceeding expectations' IMO, we're behind in the rebuild. This season is where we should have been 1-2 years ago if we drafted properly and didn't make stupid short cut trades that backfired like the Gudbranson trade.

On top of all this, his pro talent scouting is dreadful. Gudbranson, Sutter, Larsen, Vey, Sbisa, Etem, Pouliot, Gagner, Eriksson, Del Zotto, Leipsic, Cramarossa, McMillan, Nilsson, etc. I'm going to barf. He hasn't even added a top 4 defenceman in his 5 years with the team. Stecher is arguable, but he was going to sign with the team as a home town kid regardless.

Reactions: bh53

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
This speculation reminded me of the end of Gillis' tenure. Found the thread when Benning was originally hired (Confirmed with Link: - Jim Benning named GM of Vancouver (MOD WARNING Post #274)), and it seemed like most people (probably myself included) were more concerned about Linden's lack of experience than Benning. Even Y2K liked the hire at the time.

Crazy how much can change in 5 years time. The GM's we're talking about in this thread could (someday) be hired and then hated in the same breath.

Has a sports organization ever been as mind raped as the Canucks were by the Bruins in 2011? It's crazy when you think about it all.

Reactions: PM and MS

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I'd probably go with Lombardi at this point. Holland wouldn't be bad based on his huge amount of experience, but he hasn't been great as of late and has handed out some pretty bad contracts in recent years.

I would have been happy to let Gilman take over. He might not be the best for a GM, but I know that he would negotiate contracts and trades well and he's the type of guy that would surround himself with intelligent people and would form a solid management group.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Our top 9 could have easily included DeBrincat, Tkachuk, Nylander/Ehlers, and McCann. We traded the 33rd overall pick (when our scouts were high on DeBrincat) and McCann for Gudbranson. We selected Juolevi over the unanimous Tkachuk selection. And then taking Virtanen over Nylander/Ehlers was also a mistake, albeit not as egregious as the aforementioned ones.

This doesn't even include his various blunders in giving up unnecessary draft picks in trades (e.g. why would you add a 5th round pick with Kassian to get Prust?). Benning is also notorious for making dumb shortcut trades where he deals futures for project prospects, such as 2nd for Vey, Forsling for Clendening, 3rd for Pedan, 4th for Pouliot, etc. He's traded away more draft picks than we've received. This is not what a rebuilding team does.

Our team is not 'exceeding expectations' IMO, we're behind in the rebuild. This season is where we should have been 1-2 years ago if we drafted properly and didn't make stupid short cut trades that backfired like the Gudbranson trade.

On top of all this, his pro talent scouting is dreadful. Gudbranson, Sutter, Larsen, Vey, Sbisa, Etem, Pouliot, Gagner, Eriksson, Del Zotto, Leipsic, Cramarossa, McMillan, Nilsson, etc. I'm going to barf. He hasn't even added a top 4 defenceman in his 5 years with the team. Stecher is arguable, but he was going to sign with the team as a home town kid regardless.
Then you wouldn't have Pettersson and Boeser.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

LMAO, so many people on the "I like Benning but I'd avoid Barry Trotz" bandwagon. Heh.

Reactions: TruKnyte

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2