Who Should Ottawa Buy Out, White or Murray?

Who Should Ottawa Buy Out, White or Murray?

• White

Votes: 43 62.3%
  • Murray

Votes: 26 37.7%

• Total voters

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
LTIR is worst case. 15M out of the budget the next 2 years for someone who isn’t playing.
It's worth noting that if he can't play due to injury, a buyout is not possible so it becomes a moot point (unless he gets/is cleared then gets injured again and ends up on LTIR).

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
LTIR doesn’t gain anything when your 7 million below cap. LTIR gives you more budget when your up against the cap, not far below.
Hard ta say on insurance for Murray, if he qualified.

Reactions: bert

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Reactions: DJB and Cosmix

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Buying out Murray is pointless given his backloaded contract and age.

I'd rather keep him next season and hope that he can rebound. Not sold on Forsberg or Gustavsson quite yet.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
There's a chance his injury isn't covered by insurance since he had concussion issues prior to us signing him. We used to have some threads that went in depth on how the insurance worked, but they didn't get migrated to the new servers it seems, but from memory:

-The league takes out a contract for the whole league to keep costs down.

-Teams pay a premium based on 5% of their 5 highest paid players.

-Teams are free to allocate coverage to 5 or more players.

-Max coverage is 80%, but if you opt to cover more than 5 players it is reduced proportionately

-Insurer can exclude pre-existing condions from coverage.

Coverage for concussions is/was a major issue wrt insurance a while ago, there was talks that insurers might exclude concussions outright and not just in pre-existing situations, not sure what happened there but I imagine the NHL worked something out to maintain at least some coverage.
I have doubts that Melnyk signed a guy for that money and wasn’t eligible for insurance.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
They're gonna buy out White. Probably after the weekend.
I assume Dorion is trying to trade Murray, White, Del Zotto and Zaitsev during the next few weeks; however, I am not confident he will be able to do that without taking something bad back, retaining some salary, or giving away some assets (picks, prospects & roster players).

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Wait, is this?

Colin White
7th OA pick

for

26th OA pick
33rd OA pick

This is absolutely awful for Ottawa, the worst waste of a 7th OA pick you could imagine

Buying out Colin White only costs a near minimum NHL salary per season, why would you need to do that?

Team can’t justify they are trying to win if they make a trade like that

Reactions: Xspyrit

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Wait, is this?

Colin White
7th OA pick

for

26th OA pick
33rd OA pick

This is absolutely awful for Ottawa, the worst waste of a 7th OA pick you could imagine

Buying out Colin White only costs a near minimum NHL salary per season, why would you need to do that?
They would probably just draft another Tyler Boucher though

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I have doubts that Melnyk signed a guy for that money and wasn’t eligible for insurance.
That's possible, but It would be an exclusion for one pre-existing condition, not insurance writ large. I'm not sure Melnyk would get into the weeds of a signing deep enough to review the insurance coverage.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Did you like other of those contracts ? Which ones did you criticize ?
I said white was a gamble that could work out as a + for the sens. I didn't love it but I didn't hate it now it is a flop. Murray contract I thought was insanely stupid from the jump. I thought the trade for Murray was bad then when he gave him that contract I thought he was insane. Murray was so bad it made no sense to do what Dorion did.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
If that was possible, I'd like to start the funding with a 1000$ contribution.

Actually, can we start a go fund me? We throw millions at Melnyk daughters, only one condition.
Due to my net worth being down a gazillion dollars atm I will not be contributing money, but will offer my services in removing Dorion from the building with as much force as necessary.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
White + Murray + 7th overall for 33rd overall

Clears about 10M in cap space

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
You can insure a contract with an exception regarding recurrence if previous injuries. Nathan Horton’s contract was insured except against further back injury, which is why the Leafs were able to take him and unload Clarkson to Columbus. Leafs didn’t care about the cash they just wanted rid of Clarkson.

Last edited:

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Trading our only currency in a high draft pick to unload Murray is not something I want to see. Buy him out or bury him in the minors.

Our only hope is growth through the draft as we can’t sign anyone. We cannot give up high picks for nothing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad