Who Should Ottawa Buy Out, White or Murray?

Who Should Ottawa Buy Out, White or Murray?

• White

Votes: 43 62.3%
  • Murray

Votes: 26 37.7%

• Total voters

ksens

Mar 8, 2006
s4eamxv.jpeg

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I would prefer they just trade either of the guys for a better deal, even if its a player with a higher cap hit, but on a shorter deal. I hate dead capspace, even if its a negligible amount.

If we can trade White for a one year stop gap like Drouin, JVR, Nyquist, Doonskoi, Tatar, etc... It shows that Dorion can make a move without getting fleeced + gives us a warm body that can be an average 2nd line forward on Stu's line while we look for other options (assuming we miss out on players in UFA/trade or are looking internally to fill that spot).

I'd prefer to buy out Murray, but at the same time, I want to see Dorion show some skills as a GM and get anything at all for him. Even if its a one year reclamation project, or take advantage of a team that is in cap crunch. Like if Dorion can manage to move Murray in a deal for Puljujarvi (a team that needs a goalie AND can't afford to re-sign an RFA that would be a low risk gamble for us), that'd be awesome.

Reactions: Dionysus

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I too would much prefer to see them traded before buying them out & we can add sweetners to any deal with players who are not part of the future of the team such as some of the UFAs/RFAs, Brannstrom, Kelly, Gambrell & Thomson or even Brown if he plans to test free agency. There should be deals to be made for a player or two who might help even if it is temporarily. However, if they can't get a deal done than they should certainly look at buying out White this yr & use that salary saved to add a much better player.

Reactions: Cosmix and bicboi64

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Tough decision, but surprisingly I'll say neither. We have room under the cap to carry these contracts AND to add good players. And if we're not going to spend to the cap, then we're not trying to compete right away anyway, so might as well keep these players.

In Murray's case, he's basically either playing or is injured. Him being on LTIR seems like a better outcome than buying him out. Worst case is if he plays but badly, in which case let him play in Belleville. If we really have a promising team this year and his contract is going to be such an impediment to improving the roster moving forward, we can always buy him out next year. Let's ride it out at least one more year IMO and limit the buyout damage during the important years.

In White's case it's a more difficult decision since we don't want to miss out on the early buyout window. But my argument is that we can't even necessarily replace White with a better player with that contract anyway (I mean, Dadonov was the best we could do), and our forward depth is still thin enough. Different situation if we're, say, the Leafs or the Rangers, i.e. a FA destination for pajama boys.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Im not sure id buy out either this year either. For White, would it be easy to trade him at $1.5 mil retained for 3 years instead of of buying him out at $1 mil for 6 yrs is it? If he is tradeable at that price later i dont see the rush now

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Im not sure id buy out either this year either. For White, would it be easy to trade him at $1.5 mil retained for 3 years instead of of buying him out at $1 mil for 6 yrs is it? If he is tradeable at that price later i dont see the rush now

I don’t think many want to pay white $5.25 less $1.5 for 3 more years …

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I picked White. Murray will be what he is. We could move him to somebody else to buy out next year. Would prefer to trade white, but the question was White or Murray buyout...so White it is.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I voted Murray, but it is tough to swallow the dead cap. Odds are he's injured anyways, so whatever. Just don't trade Gus because of some perceived log jam that won't exist after Murray gets hurt.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
You know Murray is going on LTIR sometime in the near future.

I'm ok both with keeping/trading White, or buying him out (he's still at 1/3 buyout, iirc).

I'd really only push for a buyout if something crazy happens and we trade for a top line $10 mil type of talent and we need those extra cap dollars.

Reactions: DrEasy

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Murray is a useless
Buyout - to much to justify a 2/3 buyout. He can play or LTIR.
LTIR is worst case. 15M out of the budget the next 2 years for someone who isn’t playing.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
LTIR is worst case. 15M out of the budget the next 2 years for someone who isn’t playing.

I don’t understand … under LTIR someone else pays most of
His salary and we’re done with his cap hit in two years.

The worst case is … he plays like crap, is sick half the time but not often enough to LTIR and we not $15 million for nothing.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don’t understand … under LTIR someone else pays most of
His salary and we’re done with his cap hit in two years.

The worst case is … he plays like crap, is sick half the time but not often enough to LTIR and we not $15 million for nothing.
There's a chance his injury isn't covered by insurance since he had concussion issues prior to us signing him. We used to have some threads that went in depth on how the insurance worked, but they didn't get migrated to the new servers it seems, but from memory:

-The league takes out a contract for the whole league to keep costs down.

-Teams pay a premium based on 5% of their 5 highest paid players.

-Teams are free to allocate coverage to 5 or more players.

-Max coverage is 80%, but if you opt to cover more than 5 players it is reduced proportionately

-Insurer can exclude pre-existing condions from coverage.

Coverage for concussions is/was a major issue wrt insurance a while ago, there was talks that insurers might exclude concussions outright and not just in pre-existing situations, not sure what happened there but I imagine the NHL worked something out to maintain at least some coverage.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
There's a chance his injury isn't covered by insurance since he had concussion issues prior to us signing him. We used to have some threads that went in depth on how the insurance worked, but they didn't get migrated to the new servers it seems, but from memory:

-The league takes out a contract for the whole league to keep costs down.

-Teams pay a premium based on 5% of their 5 highest paid players.

-Teams are free to allocate coverage to 5 or more players.

-Max coverage is 80%, but if you opt to cover more than 5 players it is reduced proportionately

-Insurer can exclude pre-existing condions from coverage.

Coverage for concussions is/was a major issue wrt insurance a while ago, there was talks that insurers might exclude concussions outright and not just in pre-existing situations, not sure what happened there but I imagine the NHL worked something out to maintain at least some coverage.

Sure … as I said … LTIR is not the worst case scenario. If he doesn’t qualify for LTIR than he won’t be LTiR’d.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sure … as I said … LTIR is not the worst case scenario. If he doesn’t qualify for LTIR than he won’t be LTiR’d.
Any long term injured player qualifies for LTIR. Insurance is a different matter altogether. LTIR is about opening up a roster spot for the team and allowing cap relief so the team can exceed the cap by the same amount as the ltir'd player. The team is still responsible for the players salary. Insurance kicks in only if the team chose to cover that player, the injury isn't excluded from coverage, and the player misses 30 consecutive games.

If Murray can't play due to injury effectively ending his career, and isn't covered by insurance, that is definitely the worst case.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad