Who should oilers go after in free agency

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
One of Ryan Dzingel or Gustav Nyqvist. Preferably Dzingel if he doesn’t re up with the Jackets.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Dzingel
Nyquist
Gardiner
Johannson

Two of these guys should be primary targets.

Vanek
Ennis
Panik

These guys should be targeted as cheaper secondary scoring pieces.

Reactions: MessierII

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
With the emergence of Caleb Jones and with Sekera looking surprisingly good, and prospects like Samorukov and Lagesson showing promise, we look to be good on LD for the foreseeable future, so I'd dangle Nurse and certain picks/prospects for a top-6 winger to play with Nuge on the 2nd line.

Oilers D over the next couple seasons:
Klefbom - Larsson -- These two complement each other well.
Sekera - Bouchard/(Russel) -- Put the seasoned vet with the young guy.
Jones - Russell/(Bouchard) -- It's a 3rd pairing. I like Jones' potential, and Russell's solid but his proper fit is on the 3rd pairing, IMO (though he's acceptable on a 2nd pairing). Interchange Russell and Bouchard if Bouchard needs more seasoning, but I'm not so much thinking of next season but the season after. In a couple years Samorukov or Jones takes Sekera's place on the 2nd pairing.

With Nurse traded for a top-6 winger, I'll just say Mantha for argument's sake (not saying he and Nurse are of equal value, but using him as place holder -- and Detroit could use a young D like Nurse), and say we can sign one as a UFA (Dzingel or someone of that caliber), and trade Pulju plus a pick or B prospect if that's what it takes for Burakovsky, the top two lines:

Burakovsky - McDavid - Drai
Mantha - RNH - Dzingel/UFA

It's not mind-blowing, but it's a big step up front what we have currently.

I don't think our D looks much worse, if at all, and Nurse would have value. I think we could use an effective top-6 forward much more than Nurse and what he brings.

If we can trade Russell to open up cap space and sign a guy like Dzingel then so much the better, and a Nurse trade wouldn't really need to be considered. Though I'd still consider trading him for another top-6 winger if a good enough one was offered, but depends who it is. We badly need offensive depth more than anything.

Last edited:

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Eat 1.5 million for Lucic and just find a way to get rid of him. He is done. There is absolutely nothing he can do to help this team anymore. Nada. Dont waste that cap space away, eat some of it and just get rid of him.
Get rid of Reider
Get rid of Petrovic
Brodziak is done, let him go
Nurse ... I dunno man I like him....he's got character but defensively is dumb as rocks. constantly out of position and missing coverage.

Go after:

Dzingel
Burakovsky
go hard after one of Anahiem/Carolinas young defenseman, put the best possible offer on the table.

Bring in Persson from Sweden, slot him into the number 5 position and Powerplay. (Bouchard should start in the AHL) Thats it

resign Chiasson to a good low contract 2 years 1.25-1.5 mill.

Bring back Sam Gagner on a low cap hit

Can we somehow pry Sami Vatanen out of Jersey too at all ? reminds me of a younger faster better Sekera to play in the top 4.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
The golfing good in Ottawa or Columbus that time of year?

Are you seriously that dumb ? Did Dzingel chosed to play in Ottawa or Columbus ? No. Will he choose where he is gonna play next year ? Yes.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Oilers should stay far away from UFA signings. It's not how to build a team.
See Sekera, Lucic and Russell if you need more evidence
Toronto netted themselves a few extra picks off of value UFA signings with a 1 year term. Coveted players always get overpaid through free agency, the guys no one is bidding on and are still waiting for a deal 1-2 weeks after free agency opened is where you tend to be able to nab value contracts. Though I really do think we'll need to make a play for atleast one talented atleast moderately coveted player who'll be overpaid and signed for too long in all likelyhood.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Are you seriously that dumb ? Did Dzingel chosed to play in Ottawa or Columbus ? No. Will he choose where he is gonna play next year ? Yes.
I looked it up and he’s not even married or officially in a relationship with the golf chick you referred to who’s not even a pro.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
With the emergence of Caleb Jones and with Sekera looking surprisingly good, and prospects like Samorukov and Lagesson showing promise, we look to be good on LD for the foreseeable future, so I'd dangle Nurse and certain picks/prospects for a top-6 winger to play with Nuge on the 2nd line.

Oilers D over the next couple seasons:
Klefbom - Larsson -- These two complement each other well.
Sekera - Bouchard -- Put the seasoned vet with the young guy.
Jones - Russell -- It's a 3rd pairing. I Jones' potential, and Russell's solid but his proper fit is on the 3rd pairing, IMO (though he's acceptable on a 2nd pairing).

I don't think our D looks much worse, if at all, and Nurse would have value. I think we could use an effective top-6 forward much more than Nurse and what he brings.

If we can trade Russell to open up cap space and sign a guy like Dzingel then so much the better, and a Nurse trade wouldn't really need to be considered. Though I'd still consider trading him for another top-6 winger if a good enough one was offered, but depends who it is.

Hamilton is 4th in toi for dmen on carolina, he is 3rd in Rd toi.

Nurse for Hamilton plus would help both teams.

Nurse + lucic for Hamilton + darling after July 1 is my dream

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

This is one of the most one-sided trade proposals I've ever seen.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
This is one of the most one-sided trade proposals I've ever seen.

Nurse is younger, tougher, cheaper, and cost controlled compared to 2 years of Hamilton before ufa. He is also outscoring Hamilton and is trending up, not down. Nurse is a huge over pay for hamilton.

After July 1, Lucic is owed 16 million over 4 years and can still play a 3rd or 4th line role. Darling is owed 7.1 mill over 2 years and will play those in the ahl or echl. He is pretty much done in the nhl

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005

Nuge and Lucic for Hamilton and darling. Buyout darling.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'd offer Puljujarvi + Larsson for Hamilton, but not RNH. How much thinner are we supposed to get at forward until you're literally icing an AHL team upfront around McDavid and Draisaitl.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
And the question is how do we do that with retention or via buyout?

Gretzky was on the right track offering up Pulju if a team takes Looch. It also gets much more appealing July 1st when Lucic’s salary drops to 4 per. If you still have to add a bit more to that, so be it. That or trade him for a guy like Wennberg (saves Columbus 5.4 million).

You can’t buy him out, and retention screws us over long term. Just give up the assets and move on.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
<snip>

Go after:

Dzingel
Burakovsky
go hard after one of Anahiem/Carolinas young defenseman, put the best possible offer on the table.

Bring in Persson from Sweden, slot him into the number 5 position and Powerplay. (Bouchard should start in the AHL) Thats it

resign Chiasson to a good low contract 2 years 1.25-1.5 mill.

Bring back Sam Gagner on a low cap hit

Can we somehow pry Sami Vatanen out of Jersey too at all ? reminds me of a younger faster better Sekera to play in the top 4.

I really want us to take a flier with Burakovsky. He has a bit of history with McDavid in Erie, but it's not mostly because of that. I do think there is untapped potential there, and that he's been a bit buried by Washington's depth. Wonder if Pulju + 3rd or B prospect would get it done.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Team has little cap room so getting an overpaid UFA with term (and declines after age 32) is a very bad idea.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Team has little cap room so getting an overpaid UFA with term (and declines after age 32) is a very bad idea.

That's kind of the other concern I have ... even if lets say you do find a way to dump Lucic ... is running off to the UFA market to sign another bloated UFA deal really even smart to begin with?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad