Value of: Who should NJ target? (Top-6 forward)

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Exactly what the title says. Who do yall think NJ should target as a top-6 forward?

Im thinking they would have to be younger than 28 and definitely top-6 skill level. Id try to cough up extra for a first line talent but Id like to see what others think

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
I mean , it depends on what you're looking for.

A rental?
A guy with term?
A winger?
A centre?

The Devils have tons of cap space , so they're totally flexible.

As for the Duchene suggestion , I'd imagine the standard package of player+prospect+pick would be the basis of any deal.

So perhaps.... Wood+ Joseph Anderson+2019 1st ? I dunno , I'm sure that'll get ripped, but I'm not familiar enough with either team's prospect pool to know what they'd want or would be willing to give up.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Get the band back together, have Lou Lams trade Eberle to us to play with Hallsy and Nico. He's a UFA so I cant see it being a kings ransom, then sign him in the off-season. Eberle/Palmieri/
Make a trade for Duchene as well and be done! I would not give up Woody in that trade, McCleod and some other things on the menu

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Duchene like Stone will likely only be available after FEB at the earliest ,and even then two top line players will gather a crowd....

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I’m not sure a top 6 player is what we need right now. Especially with how well Zajac has looked so far.

We still don't know how long he's going to be out.
Duchene and Kad** (censored so "they" don't show up en masse) are the centers that really intrigue me. We definitely need a top six center or right wing. Zajac is hurt and Zacha keeps looking like he's about to break through but never does. Very frustrating.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
We still don't know how long he's going to be out.
Duchene and Kad** (censored so "they" don't show up en masse) are the centers that really intrigue me. We definitely need a top six center or right wing. Zajac is hurt and Zacha keeps looking like he's about to break through but never does. Very frustrating.

Unless Shero can pull his magic and totally lowball Dorian out of Duchene I don’t think we have the spare assets to make the trade. He’s also a pending UFA and from what people are saying really seems to like Nashville. I’d hate to give up good assets for a UFA when the team isn’t really ready to make a deep run in the playoffs anyway .

It sucks that both Zacha and McLeod can’t seem to pull it together. They’re both high picks for us and we really needed at least one of them to make an impact. It also sucks because they both have nearly no trade value at this point. Giving up a 1st should definitely be a no go for us.

I’d rather see what Speers or Anderson can do in a top 6 RW spot before making a trade. I actually think Quenneville looked pretty good while he was up too. Maybe he’d be better in the top 6. Bratt will eventually be back too.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I would love for us to go after Duchene.

Having Hischier, Duchene and Zajac down the middle would solidify our roster up front. Pavel Zacha is still very young and he does have upside but I'd be willing to send him the other way with picks and prospects in order to acquire a legit top #6 center in Duchene.

He's by no means a bust but I don't think he'll ever live up to the hype of being picked 6th overall either. I can see him turning out as very efficient #3 center and there's nothing wrong with that IMO.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Devils don't have anywhere near the farm to trade for a top 6 forward. Their drafting has been abysmal. Zacha is a bust. McLeod is one his way there. Quenneville is on his way to being a bust. There isn't much there. Teams giving up a top 6 forward are going to want a high pick and a couple of really good prospects for that guy.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Unless Shero can pull his magic and totally lowball Dorian out of Duchene I don’t think we have the spare assets to make the trade. He’s also a pending UFA and from what people are saying really seems to like Nashville. I’d hate to give up good assets for a UFA when the team isn’t really ready to make a deep run in the playoffs anyway .

It sucks that both Zacha and McLeod can’t seem to pull it together. They’re both high picks for us and we really needed at least one of them to make an impact. It also sucks because they both have nearly no trade value at this point. Giving up a 1st should definitely be a no go for us.

I’d rather see what Speers or Anderson can do in a top 6 RW spot before making a trade. I actually think Quenneville looked pretty good while he was up too. Maybe he’d be better in the top 6. Bratt will eventually be back too.

I wouldn't mind giving up picks or prospects to get a player like Duchene.

At some point, you need to acquire talent and surround guys like Hall, Hischier, Palmieri, MoJo with actual talent. Not having a legit 2nd line center is a major issue because we're asking our top line to do all the heavy lifting. Our bottom 6 is very good IMO and the fact that our 2nd line is MIA leads me to believe that it will take another MVP season from Hall in order for us to make the postseason.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
I wouldn't mind giving up picks or prospects to get a player like Duchene.

At some point, you need to acquire talent and surround guys like Hall, Hischier, Palmieri, MoJo with actual talent. Not having a legit 2nd line center is a major issue because we're asking our top line to do all the heavy lifting. Our bottom 6 is very good IMO and the fact that our 2nd line is MIA leads me to believe that it will take another MVP season from Hall in order for us to make the postseason.

I’ve been one of Zajac’s biggest critics over the years but so far the guy is playing great. I think we just have to hope he isn’t out for too long.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Devils don't have anywhere near the farm to trade for a top 6 forward. Their drafting has been abysmal. Zacha is a bust. McLeod is one his way there. Quenneville is on his way to being a bust. There isn't much there. Teams giving up a top 6 forward are going to want a high pick and a couple of really good prospects for that guy.

Zacha isn't a bust.

He's a NHL caliber player with room to improve. Is he worth the 6th overall pick... absolutely not. When trading a pending UFA on a bottom feeding team, they are going to want to acquire potential, picks and prospects... something we can offer Ottawa but might not be willing to do.

Duchene isn't going to land the Sens the return they're expecting IMO but will nevertheless get them something solid. To me, a 21 year old #3 center with room to grow, a 1st round pick and a prospect is more than enough for Duchene, who we all know isn't going to resign in Ottawa.

The Devils might not have the most sexy package but the Sens aren't in a position to be playing hardball either.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
mcleod is 20. Who busts at twenty. His one year draft in the series against Erie he was better than debrincat and strome and was virtually dominating the OHL on a two way level. He’s made the devils last year but had a bad injury that sets back every player that gets it. The same injury that Parise came back from that turned him from a top offensive player to a point every other game player when he returned. Has he got back to form no. Will he be a top line player. Most likely not, but he is far from a bust.
Zacha. Same thing. I was never high on him. He will never be that guy who is going to put up high numbers, but he is a getting chances but can’t bury them. He can’t finish. He is a fantastic PKer, and a decent two way player who is still only 21. Not a bust. Definitely not going to be a top line player who though.
Queeneville was drafted at the end of the first round. He is afourth liner which is not a bust for drafting a guy in that spot.

Stop looking st hockeydb to judge how good a player is. There are factors like a major injury, opportunities as well as a two way game that people never see.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Duchene isn't going to land the Sens the return they're expecting IMO but will nevertheless get them something solid. To me, a 21 year old #3 center with room to grow, a 1st round pick and a prospect is more than enough for Duchene, who we all know isn't going to resign in Ottawa.

The Devils might not have the most sexy package but the Sens aren't in a position to be playing hardball either.

I'm willing to bet he signs an extension within the next two weeks. Heard it here first. Wouldn't be surprised to see them announce it right before they play in Colorado on Friday, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad