Value of: Who should NJ target? (Top-6 forward)

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
@Brodeur probably has the best input being a fan of both teams.

Unfortunately I think I'll have the boring response. As others alluded to, we'll get Jesper Bratt shortly and he was penciled into a top 6 role before he got hurt right before the season opener.

I don't think the Devils are in a spot to make a big trade yet (albeit I would have said that before Henrique/Vatanen). If we're in the playoff hunt at the deadline, I'd think we'd be looking more at a rental type of player like Gustav Nyquist.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
NJ doesn't really have the assets to trade for a top6 forward. The only way I could see a trade happening is if we move MarJo for another upcoming UFA. How much would we have to add to MarJo to get a guy like Stone? Would MarJo and a 1st get it done? If so I'd do that and hope we can resign Stone. I wouldn't go after Duchene as I think he'll test the market and also expect he'd cost a ton.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
I'm willing to bet he signs an extension within the next two weeks. Heard it here first. Wouldn't be surprised to see them announce it right before they play in Colorado on Friday, too.
I’ll that bet. I bet he will sign in Nashville

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Gourde wasn’t anywhere near my radar, but he would fit like a glove. I didn’t realize he’s already a UFA after this year.

You think he actually walks? Or does Tampa shuffle the deck chairs again and move someone like TyJo?

There’s a chance we might be able to keep him if we trade Miller in addition to letting Stralman, Girardi, Coburn, and (a year later) Callahan walk, but even that might not be enough depending on the sort of season he has along with what Point, Vasy, and Serg are going to need. So it could really go either way.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Gourde wasn’t anywhere near my radar, but he would fit like a glove. I didn’t realize he’s already a UFA after this year.

You think he actually walks? Or does Tampa shuffle the deck chairs again and move someone like TyJo?

If Johnson keeps up his current level of play, I don't see us moving on from him. If Johnson's play reverts to what it was in the last two years, it's possible, although I think JT Miller is the more likely trade, since his NTC won't kick in until July 1.

Gourde is going to make us want to shuffle the deck for sure. But I mean, we're already gonna have to shuffle it a bit, and then we may or may not get back involved in the EK sweepstakes, at which point Gourde would be as good as gone. And if we do lose him, you'd have to think NJ will be all over it. I can't think of a more perfect fit for their new style of play. Gourde is more "quick" than fast (he's fast too, but his quickness is what separates him), and he's tenacious as hell, with pretty good hands. He'll score 10 goals before he ever has to beat a goalie with a shot, just by tucking home rebounds and poking in loose pucks.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Honestly Duchene or Stone. Preferably Stone for them. They have the pieces we need and Stone would be a perfect fit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad