Who Should Have Been Picked for Both the Canadien and US WJ Team and Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicster65

May 14, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Van said:
Scouting opinions from around the country that have said the same thing. If he is such a great player, and such a "nose for the net", why did Montreal wait until Round #4 to draft him this summer? Hell, some scouts think Locke was lucky to go as high as round 4.

Also, he was leading the CHL in scoring last year, and was not considered for this team because the rest of his game was lacking....He is not scoring at near the pace he was last season, so why should he be considered this year?

Scoring points is not everything, and it is all Corey Locke can do.

.....Since when did how high a player is drafted have anything to do with whether a player was good enough for WJ Team?????

Maxime Talbot was drafted in the 8th round.........what's he doing there?
He's probably a lock for this club.....

Scoring points is not everything????? Last time I checked ..........the team that scores the most goals in a game........wins.........by rule.

For some reason Mcaskey and CDN brass have something against Locke which I feel is unjust..........
Locke being snubbed is a big a joke as Simon Gamache being left off in 2001........(scouting opinions from around the country that have said the same thing)

If this years team struggles offensively I am going to Cringe every time Green says we are lacking offensive firepower.......

I am thankful for Fleury.

Love Machine

Jan 1, 2003
Computer
Visit site
Nicster65 said:
.....Since when did how high a player is drafted have anything to do with whether a player was good enough for WJ Team?????

Scoring points is not everything????? Last time I checked ..........the team that scores the most goals in a game........wins.........by rule.

For some reason Mcaskey and CDN brass have something against Locke which I feel is unjust..........
Locke being snubbed is a big a joke as Simon Gamache being left off in 2001........(scouting opinions from around the country that have said the same thing)

If this years team struggles offensively I am going to Cringe every time Green says we are lacking offensive firepower.......

Thank you!! I agree 100%.

FiveforFighting

Jan 31, 2003
Visit site
Nicster65 said:

Seems as though Canada has left some pretty high quality offensive talent off their roster?

Also there doesn't seem to be as much controversy over the Russian team roster. Does anyone feel there have been any Russian Players left off the team that should be playing in the Tournament?

Last edited:

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
FiveforFighting said:
Will he return soon?

The team is a bit worried because he should already be ready to play. It was a 4-6 week injury and it will make 6 week soon. He's been day to day for a while now. He should return very soon.

-------

Hennessy is one of the best player in the Q. He's Very fast and a good playmaker. I don't know much about the available players for the US this years but i'd be pretty surprise if they have 3 center better than him.

He'll be available again next years he should make it then.

FiveforFighting

Jan 31, 2003
Visit site
Beatnik said:
The team is a bit worried because he should already be ready to play. It was a 4-6 week injury and it will make 6 week soon. He's been day to day for a while now. He should return very soon.

-------

Hennessy is one of the best player in the Q. He's Very fast and a good playmaker. I don't know much about the available players for the US this years but i'd be pretty surprise if they have 3 center better than him.

He'll be available again next years he should make it then.

Pouliot: He will help Rimouski a lot when he returns and would be a plus for team Canada wouldn't he?
What type of injury does he have?

Hennessy:Thanks for the info!
Does anybody else have any thoughts or info?

Last edited:

Joe Maximum

Sep 9, 2003
I thing Cory Urquhart(sp?) was unfairly left off the team. I know he hasn't been playing very well lately but I think that its a snowball effect of having played something like 4 games in 4 nights back at the remax challenge

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
For USA I think Matt Nickerson of Clarkson University could have played.

Nickerson, D, Fr 15 3 6 9

9 points in 15 games, and he is born in 1985. 3rd round pick for Dallas last summer. The reason he didn't get a shot is because he takes so many penalties. He's averaging about 5 PIM's a game at the moment and on his way to possibly setting a new NCAA D-1 record for PIM's.

Anfernic

Feb 19, 2003
Quebec city
Visit site
FiveforFighting said:
I've heard his name come up before. Why do you believe he should be on the team?

First of all, u heard his name before on another thread named U20 team usa 6 players added.

I believe he should be on the team because he is IMO better than some other forward in the team USA. This guy plays on a very young team and before Alexi Shkotov camed to Quebec he was the only good offensive players of his team and had good stats anyway.

There are reason he has been picked in the second round of one of the deepest draft ever. How many other forward of this team have been picked after him?

Anfernic

Feb 19, 2003
Quebec city
Visit site
Personally I think that Rob Schremf and Josh Hennesy has'nt been picked because they play in Canada. But I don't want to start a war so don't take it personnaly it's just my opinion. And maybe that it's true that the team who will be at the U20 tournament will be a "team with chemestry" and not only the best player of the country. We will see who was right, but I think that USA with these 2 players would be terrific

FiveforFighting

Jan 31, 2003
Visit site
Anfernic said:
First of all, u heard his name before on another thread named U20 team usa 6 players added.

I believe he should be on the team because he is IMO better than some other forward in the team USA. This guy plays on a very young team and before Alexi Shkotov camed to Quebec he was the only good offensive players of his team and had good stats anyway.

There are reason he has been picked in the second round of one of the deepest draft ever. How many other forward of this team have been picked after him?

That's a good question. I wonder how many of the players picked for the team were drafted in Later than Hennessy, Jessiman. Does anybody have this information?
Does any player have more points on the US TEAM than this kid Hennessy?
It would seem that some of the other players must have some good talented players to play with because their teamates made the US team.

FiveforFighting

Jan 31, 2003
Visit site
Anfernic said:
Personally I think that Rob Schremf and Josh Hennesy has'nt been picked because they play in Canada. But I don't want to start a war so don't take it personnaly it's just my opinion. And maybe that it's true that the team who will be at the U20 tournament will be a "team with chemestry" and not only the best player of the country. We will see who was right, but I think that USA with these 2 players would be terrific

It does seem ashame that players who can score and play make like these 2 can't be seen at this tournament.

FiveforFighting

Jan 31, 2003
Visit site
AJ1982 said:
For USA I think Matt Nickerson of Clarkson University could have played.

Nickerson, D, Fr 15 3 6 9

9 points in 15 games, and he is born in 1985. 3rd round pick for Dallas last summer. The reason he didn't get a shot is because he takes so many penalties. He's averaging about 5 PIM's a game at the moment and on his way to possibly setting a new NCAA D-1 record for PIM's.

Didn't the Us take Matt Green Last year as an enforcer type who as I remember lead the team and was second in the tournament in total penalty minutes. As I remember they didn't take the leading scoring defenseman in the CHL that was American. PLease correct me if I'm Wrong because I'm only going from memory.

BCCHL inactive

Nicster65 said:

I never said or implied that it did matter. What I said, was that if Corey Locke was as good as some Ottawa 67's fans say he is, then why did Montreal wait for the 4th round to draft him?

Nicster65 said:

Obviously....but that doesn't mean that a good, solid forward hockey player is made out of nothing but point-scoring ability. You need to be able to skate well (which Locke doesn't do), you need to be able to play physical hockey, you need to be able to come back and help out the defence, and much more.

To make the pros, and to make Canada's U20 team, you have to be able to excel at more than just one aspect of the game.

So no, scoring points is not everything.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Anfernic said:

No you are essentially right with your "CHL bias" theory. They tend to pick players who coem through US hockey development (the actual name escapes me) and prefer to have those guys (as there is some sense of chemistry) over guys who are obviously more talented (Henny and Schremp) but develop their game elsewhere.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Patty Ice XXX said:
No you are essentially right with your "CHL bias" theory. They tend to pick players who coem through US hockey development (the actual name escapes me) and prefer to have those guys (as there is some sense of chemistry) over guys who are obviously more talented (Henny and Schremp) but develop their game elsewhere.

What about Patrick 0'Sullivan and James Wisniewski & Danny Richmond ???

The last time I checked they all play in the OHL...and are on Team USA..

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Van said:
And as for Corey Locke, that kid is the definition of the word "overrated". Yes, he can put points on the board, but he can't do anything else.

I believe he should have had an *invite*. Just a look-see. I believe many people, perhaps you included, now have a faulty perception of the WJC.

This is a tournament of young players, not a NHL prospect evaluation. Players like Locke may be slightly overrated by some NHL followers (though nothing bad enough to call him overrated, we don't often hear his name) but he is a player who *at this level* can contribute.

However, I am satisfied with this team. It isn't as bad as the crappy team they sent a few years ago with weak sh*tty forwards while not even inviting Gamache, who could have been just what the doctor ordered.

As long as team Canada and fans will have this perception that the WJC are a prospect spectacle, team Canada will have problems. Inner politics for selections are also a problem in Canada but this is unfortunately the case for many countries. This tournament has lost its shine for me.

That being said, this year is the best edition of Canada I have seen in a while and I think they will win gold this year.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
The Messenger said:
What about Patrick 0'Sullivan and James Wisniewski & Danny Richmond ???

The last time I checked they all play in the OHL...and are on Team USA..

Patty did say "tend" and "prefer". There was no mention that they completely exclude CHL players.

I can understand why the US do that up to a certain point. This bias probably exist but for good reasons. They're familiar with certain players and build their team accordingly.

BCCHL inactive

Vlad The Impaler said:
This is a tournament of young players, not a NHL prospect evaluation. Players like Locke may be slightly overrated by some NHL followers (though nothing bad enough to call him overrated, we don't often hear his name) but he is a player who *at this level* can contribute.

I don't think he can. Corey Locke may be able to score at the major junior level, but the International U20 level is a step above the CHL, and I don't think he has much to offer above the CHL.

Just because he led the CHL in scoring last season doesn't make him a CHL superstar, and sure as hell doesn't mean he has all the attributes that a player making Team Canada needs.

Besides, Locke was invited to the summer camp if I'm not mistaken. MacKasey and co. got their look then, and obviously were not impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad