Who Should Have Been Picked for Both the Canadien and US WJ Team and Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Vlad The Impaler said:
Patty did say "tend" and "prefer". There was no mention that they completely exclude CHL players.

I can understand why the US do that up to a certain point. This bias probably exist but for good reasons. They're familiar with certain players and build their team accordingly.

I think you've got it right. The U.S. tends to prefer players that have been associated with the USNTDP. Whether they go on to college or play in the CHL isn't really the issue, although there appears to be a NCAA bias, but that's to be expected given the already mentioned criteria. That being said, it would be nice to have had the likes of Schremp and Hennessey on the team, but those two players aren't going to break the bank for the U.S. Scoring won't be an issue, whethere the goaltending and to an extent defense holds up is.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
FiveforFighting said:
Didn't the Us take Matt Green Last year as an enforcer type who as I remember lead the team and was second in the tournament in total penalty minutes. As I remember they didn't take the leading scoring defenseman in the CHL that was American. PLease correct me if I'm Wrong because I'm only going from memory.

No, they took Greene because he's a mean, crease clearing SOB who takes care of business in his own end. You're right though, he did take a ton of penalities, which was likely in an international tournament. The other guy you're talking about is Jesse Lane, and while he's a great offensive defenseman, I guess his play in his own zone was the key factor in him not being on the team.

FiveforFighting

Jan 31, 2003
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
No, they took Greene because he's a mean, crease clearing SOB who takes care of business in his own end. You're right though, he did take a ton of penalities, which was likely in an international tournament. The other guy you're talking about is Jesse Lane, and while he's a great offensive defenseman, I guess his play in his own zone was the key factor in him not being on the team.

Please don't take this wrong Rabid Ranger but this worries me about the direction that the game of hockey is headed. The US team picks a mean crease clearing SOB who takes a ton of penalties (gives the opposing team a power play on an Olympic ice surface) over the Leading Offensive Defenseman in the entire Canadien Hockey League.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
FiveforFighting said:
Please don't take this wrong Rabid Ranger but this worries me about the direction that the game of hockey is headed. The US team picks a mean crease clearing SOB who takes a ton of penalties (gives the opposing team a power play on an Olympic ice surface) over the Leading Offensive Defenseman in the entire Canadien Hockey League.

No offense taken, although I think you're overanalyzing the situation. The U.S. WJC team last year had a good mix of offensive and stay-at-home D-men, and this year the team has even more of an offensive slant.

FiveforFighting

Jan 31, 2003
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
No offense taken, although I think you're overanalyzing the situation. The U.S. WJC team last year had a good mix of offensive and stay-at-home D-men, and this year the team has even more of an offensive slant.

Good Post. I understand what your saying But when a team excludes just one piece of the puzzle in a elite tournament of this nature their chances of winning the championship decrease considerably.

Also I must admit that I am a big fan of highly skilled hockey, Fast paced up & Down, Side to side, Tape to tape passing, highly creative playmaking, One on one moves beyond belief. Puck control to the point that teams won't dump the puck but try to control it and when there is a turn over the puck goes up ice in the other direction in a beat of the heart. Defensmen that can make the quick outlet pass on the stick (not ring it off the glass) and jump up into the play. Players that can perform their skills at the highest levels. Goaltenders that can make the awesome save make a pass and send the play furiously in the other direction. Players that take chances in order to perform outstanding plays. Highly skilled creative hockey.

In this Tournament it would mean Canada's , Russia's, US's etc. most highly skilled players with no exceptions, Pure hockey at it's best.
I know I'm dreaming but wouldn't it be Awesome! It wouldn't matter which team won because the game itself would be the winner.

And OH YES!!!!!!! the Fans would be the biggest winner of them all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad