Who should be the player of the month?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Goalie vote is likely going to get split between Price, Dubnyk, and Talbot.

McDavid is the scoring leader in the league and leading his team to a 7-1 start, I say he gets it.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Oilers fan saying no to Talbot because of the first 3 games were stinkers. The Oilers are a DEFENSIVE minded team in the last 5 games so Talbot is reaping the benefits of it. Many shots against happened in the last 3 minutes with a lead and padded various stats.

McDavid is MVP and even he hasn't been lights out except the first two games.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
but that's not how averaging stats works. You don't get to disinclude the bad game/goal. They all count.

I was doing the exact opposite of averaging stats bud

If you only look at the outline you don't see the story.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
David Schlemko who has turned the Sharks 3rd pairing with Dillon into a 62-63% corsi pairing :o

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Weber has been amazing, he gets my vote. Burns and Talbot had a good first month too.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Matthews is the most talked about best player. They should give him this accolade.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Age is irrelevant. If McDavid gets a further points lead, then him. If he outscores a defenseman by a mere two points while having a significantly worse +/- on a team lower in the standings then he shouldn't win it over Weber.

Huh?

McDavid is 3rd in the league with a +9. MTL also has played 9 games, while EDM has played 8. The Oilers play OTT tomorrow, so we'll see where he's at after tomorrow's game.

Nevertheless, McDavid/Weber/Price all have a good case.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I hate to be a homer on this one and I do love Connor McDavid but I think Webers statline is more impressive for the month of October.

9GP
4G
6A
10P
+12
3 GWG

vs.

8GP
5G
7A
12P
+9
2 GWG

I mean its not like McDavid won't win this again and again.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Hell im happy having 2 Oilers being unanimously in the top 5 to begin with.
I'm not sure you know what unanimous means. A case can be made for all of (in no particular order) Suter, Weber, Burns, Dubnyk, Price, Rask, Talbot, McDavid and Pavelski.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I think Klefbom can develop into a bona fide #1. He doesn't have franchise D potential like those you listed obviously, but Klefbom has legit #1 upside.

Klef needs more PP time and he needs to shoot more. To be a bona fide #1 you need to be elite in all 3 zones. I think we'll see more offensive production as he gets older and further develops his chemistry he has with a defensive Dman like Larsson. Both of them are only 23, and Dmen take longer to reach their peak but generally peak for much longer than forwards. Dmen can play at top levels well into their mid 30s.

Larsson reminds me a lot of Vlasic in the defensive zone. He's more physical than Vlasic, but Vlasic is a better skater and better in the offensive zone. Vlasic is in my view the top defensive Dman in the NHL, Larsson's gap control and defensive awareness in closing passing lanes, limiting prime scoring chances, and keeping forwards to the outside reminds me of Vlasic.

The thing is Klef is basically elite in all 3 zones, you can be elite in all 3 zones and not produce much (Hjalmarsson and Vlasic), and you can not be elite in the offensive zone and still produce a lot (Connauton, Seabrook, etc.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad