Who should be the player of the month?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Larsbom!!

Our sexy Swedes have been awesome for us.

No doubt those two are a legit top pairing. We have Klefbom and Larsson signed for the next 7 and 5 years respectively for under $4.2M each. Both are 23 and just starting to come into their own, their best years are ahead.

Exciting times, having our top pair locked up at that price allow us to keep McDavid, Drai, Pulju and others up front. We're seeing a powerhouse starting to be assembled in Edmonton.

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
I doubt Weber takes it over McDavid at this point considering McDavids age, the team he has elevated and his role on that team.
Not only that but McDavid still has another game to play before the end of the month against the Sens. It's possible he separates himself even more at that point as well as getting his team the same amount of wins as the Habs with 1 less point in the standings.

Weber is in the running though. But I'd say Talbot is neck and neck with him considering his play over this stretch as well. And now Dubnyk.
Age is irrelevant. If McDavid gets a further points lead, then him. If he outscores a defenseman by a mere two points while having a significantly worse +/- on a team lower in the standings then he shouldn't win it over Weber.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Our sexy Swedes have been awesome for us.

No doubt those two are a legit top pairing. We have Klefbom and Larsson signed for the next 7 and 5 years respectively for under $4.2M each. Both are 23 and just starting to come into their own, their best years are ahead.

Exciting times, having our top pair locked up at that price allow us to keep McDavid, Drai, Pulju and others up front. We're seeing a powerhouse starting to be assembled in Edmonton.

I still think theyll need an elite/franchise Dman for the playoffs a la: Keith, Doughty, Letang

Mubiki

Jan 10, 2013
It's probably Dubnyk/Weber followed by Talbot right now. At least it should be.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Age is irrelevant. If McDavid gets a further points lead, then him. If he outscores a defenseman by a mere two points while having a significantly worse +/- on a team lower in the standings then he shouldn't win it over Weber.

are you seriously arguing Weber's +12 makes him "better" than McDavid and his +9?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I still think theyll need an elite/franchise Dman for the playoffs a la: Keith, Doughty, Letang

I think Klefbom can develop into a bona fide #1. He doesn't have franchise D potential like those you listed obviously, but Klefbom has legit #1 upside.

Klef needs more PP time and he needs to shoot more. To be a bona fide #1 you need to be elite in all 3 zones. I think we'll see more offensive production as he gets older and further develops his chemistry he has with a defensive Dman like Larsson. Both of them are only 23, and Dmen take longer to reach their peak but generally peak for much longer than forwards. Dmen can play at top levels well into their mid 30s.

Larsson reminds me a lot of Vlasic in the defensive zone. He's more physical than Vlasic, but Vlasic is a better skater and better in the offensive zone. Vlasic is in my view the top defensive Dman in the NHL, Larsson's gap control and defensive awareness in closing passing lanes, limiting prime scoring chances, and keeping forwards to the outside reminds me of Vlasic.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Suter has been terrific. Doing everything...he doesn't cheat on the defensive end in order to score, unlike some Dmen.

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
McDavid is just par for the course. Twelve points in eight games is - and will be - average for him. On the other hand, Talbot, Weber, Suter and Dubnyk have been amazing in comparison with their average play. I say it is one of those four.

DCHabitant

Feb 24, 2013
Haven't really watched Talbot play this year. Statistically at least he hasn't been overwhelming (14th in GAA, 10th in SV%); yet he seems to be getting a lot of votes. One poster even said Talbot AINEC! What am I missing? I'm sure he's made some spectacular saves to warrant all the accolades. But his numbers themselves aren't spectacular.

Dog

McDavid is just par for the course. Twelve points in eight games is - and will be - average for him. On the other hand, Talbot, Weber, Suter and Dubnyk have been amazing in comparison with their average play. I say it is one of those four.

So you think 123 points will be average for mcdavid? lol

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Haven't really watched Talbot play this year. Statistically at least he hasn't been overwhelming (14th in GAA, 10th in SV%); yet he seems to be getting a lot of votes. One poster even said Talbot AINEC! What am I missing? I'm sure he's made some spectacular saves to warrant all the accolades. But his numbers themselves aren't spectacular.

Look outside the one bad game dragging his overall stats down

edit:
last four games

STL 1 goal .971
Jets Shutout
Washington 1 goal .971
Vancouver Shutout

Most wins in the league (7)

Hard to argue with that

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
How is McDavid's 12 points any more impressive than 10 points from Weber and Suter? If Brent Burns pots a point or two tonight it could be him too.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Voracek or Giroux... I mean, they have been really pretty good... not deserving on PoTM like...

but they should be given it mainly to cheer them up and take them off suicide watch because of our (well, ~2-3 members of our) defense and goalies.

Playing out of skins every night to no avail... getting minuses left right and centre with no real mistakes.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Look outside the one bad game dragging his overall stats down

edit:
last four games

STL 1 goal .971
Jets Shutout
Washington 1 goal .971
Vancouver Shutout

Most wins in the league (7)

Hard to argue with that

but that's not how averaging stats works. You don't get to disinclude the bad game/goal. They all count.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
McDavid IMO.

He is leading the NHL in scoring with 1.5 ppg and leading his team to a 7-1 start in his first month as captain.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
How is McDavid's 12 points any more impressive than 10 points from Weber and Suter? If Brent Burns pots a point or two tonight it could be him too.

My point with Suter is that he superb defensively, also. Not good...GREAT. Burns is quite a talent, and a better scorer, but he is nowhere close to Suter when it comes to playing D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad