Who should be the next Coyotes captain?

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
From a technical/rules standpoint team captaincy is a symbolic role in hockey. According to the rules, on the ice the privileges of the captain are that he may discuss matters of rule interpretation with the officials. In theory, when an official makes a ruling, the captain receives the explanation with the official in the official's crease in front of the scorekeeper and then relays the explanation to the coaches on the bench. (In practice the coach usually screams his head off as the official skates by or across the ice and the official tells the coach to go to hell.) An alternate captain has pretty much all the same privileges as the captain and for rules purposes there's almost no difference (there are a few but they're very pedantic and I'll spare you the minute details).

Also in theory the designated captain and two alternate captains do not have to be the same from game to game. In practice they often are and in practice the designation of a captain and alternate captains is symbolic within the organization. Also in practice, while there's still extensive verbage in the rulebook about captains and alternates, they're largely out the window in practice because hockey as a sport has bred a culture where screaming at the ref is acceptable and they don't care about the formal rules in place either (and you generally have to go extremely over the top for the ref to even consider calling you for unsportsmanlike conduct; you'll probably get away with it anyway too).

I get all that...I'm curious why a team would deploy different A's at away games and home games.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I get all that...I'm curious why a team would deploy different A's at away games and home games.

Wearing an A is a sign of respect. Teams sometimes like to rotate through them when they've got a lot of quality guys.

Stepan, Domi, Goligoski, Richardson, Hjalmarsson are all worthy, with Strome not far behind. Fischer and Crouse are also noted leaders.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The Coyotes very recently (within the last five years) had 4 As (2 Home & 2 Away). There's organizational precedent for this. It's not terribly novel.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Having 4 A's would definitely make sense in the future. We have a lot of guys who are noted leaders and were captains in Jr. With the big changes to the locker room I'm expecting a lot of those guys to step up this year. I think we're going to have a really good locker room culture.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I love the idea of OEL as captain. I love this being his team. I'm thrilled we signed KEL and traded for Hjalmarsson. I want Oliver to take ownership of this team and consider it his like Doan did.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Wearing an A is a sign of respect. Teams sometimes like to rotate through them when they've got a lot of quality guys.

Stepan, Domi, Goligoski, Richardson, Hjalmarsson are all worthy, with Strome not far behind. Fischer and Crouse are also noted leaders.

The Coyotes very recently (within the last five years) had 4 As (2 Home & 2 Away). There's organizational precedent for this. It's not terribly novel.

Having 4 A's would definitely make sense in the future. We have a lot of guys who are noted leaders and were captains in Jr. With the big changes to the locker room I'm expecting a lot of those guys to step up this year. I think we're going to have a really good locker room culture.

Thanks guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad