Who should be the next Coyotes captain?

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
It's hard to say from the outside, but I think Domi would be a better captain than OEL. I also think he's too young now. It would've been a nice show of support for your long time captain, and more importantly an opportunity to give Domi another year to mature, to go with 3 A's this year. Next year barring any Domi speed bumps or OEL stepping up big time leadership wise you hand it off to max. I think OEL will be at least an OK captain though.

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
From Domi's exit interview:
"If [Shane Doan] doesn't come back, can you fill that? Are you comfortable taking on that [leadership] role?"

"I think there we've got lots of guys that can step in... We've got all kinds of leaders on this team" - Domi

Doesn't really strike me as someone who is interested to take on the C, just because he is known to drop the gloves on the ice does not make him a shoe in for this position.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
If the C has any effect on convincing OEL to re-sign long term, give it to him. If it doesn't, it probably doesn't have any real value anyway, so give it to the current longest tenured Coyote, which is also OEL.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
From Domi's exit interview:

Doesn't really strike me as someone who is interested to take on the C, just because he is known to drop the gloves on the ice does not make him a shoe in for this position.

He's not wrong. If you look at the kid players we have, most of them have been captains on their junior teams. Crouse in particular, IIRC, is known for his leadership as much as his skill.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I don't see a 2nd year player getting the C. OEL most likely will wear the C. I doubt that it will be Reider because he is such a PIA to management during contract negotiations. Maybe Vrbata if he returns.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Acquire Kyle Turris
Put his name on jersey 19
Done

Well look who finally showed back up.

About what you said in a previous post.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=90204309&highlight=#post90204309

Wow, tippett is going to be serving up a bunch of crow to coyote fans this year.

This amount of whining makes us a lock for a playoff spot.

193-126-57.

More like the Coyotes finished 2nd worst in the NHL. Looks like you got served the crow instead.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
From AP's thread:
_Del_ said:
We talked about complacency and not wanting it bad enough last year, but we're stonewalling the guys trying to show how bad they want it in favour of the guys who didn't show up to compete the last half of the season last year or the preseason this year.*

I want to believe they get it, but when they say and do things like this, I think we're headed for a cliff.

Right before we had our 56 point season...

The disappointing thing is when a schmuck like me can see what a dysfunctional mess this Org is, but the people up top are allowed to keep driving toward the cliff.

Help us, Andy! Even if it's our swan song, the franchise has to be worth more as an asset without Tippett attached to it with a multi-year anchor. Help!

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I like Stepan with an "A". I mean part of the reason we brought him here was leadership.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Forgive my ignorance...how does this work and why would it be necessary?

From a technical/rules standpoint team captaincy is a symbolic role in hockey. According to the rules, on the ice the privileges of the captain are that he may discuss matters of rule interpretation with the officials. In theory, when an official makes a ruling, the captain receives the explanation with the official in the official's crease in front of the scorekeeper and then relays the explanation to the coaches on the bench. (In practice the coach usually screams his head off as the official skates by or across the ice and the official tells the coach to go to hell.) An alternate captain has pretty much all the same privileges as the captain and for rules purposes there's almost no difference (there are a few but they're very pedantic and I'll spare you the minute details).

Also in theory the designated captain and two alternate captains do not have to be the same from game to game. In practice they often are and in practice the designation of a captain and alternate captains is symbolic within the organization. Also in practice, while there's still extensive verbage in the rulebook about captains and alternates, they're largely out the window in practice because hockey as a sport has bred a culture where screaming at the ref is acceptable and they don't care about the formal rules in place either (and you generally have to go extremely over the top for the ref to even consider calling you for unsportsmanlike conduct; you'll probably get away with it anyway too).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad