Speculation: Who should be the new GM of the Washington Capitals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
If Benning brings the Bruins mojo with him, then how can anyone argue with that?

Liberati0n*

I thought Fenton came off as smarter in those youtubes I posted, but maybe smarter isn't better. I don't know.

Liberati0n*

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...ll-run-an-nhl-team-the-question-is-which-one/

What has this candidate done that makes him warrant consideration? The Predators have devolved a lot on to Fenton’s shoulders. He manages the professional and amateur scouting staff, and is responsible for Nashville’s selections at each summer’s NHL Entry Draft. Not only that, but Fenton is also responsible for the development of drafted players; in that role he also serves as general manager of the Milwaukee Admirals, Nashville’s AHL affiliate. While Nashville’s development record in all departments is one of the best in the league, they’ve really built a reputation for churning out NHL-calibre defensemen. Meanwhile, the team hasn’t sacrificed winning while producing these prospects; Nashville’s AHL team is one of the most consistently successful at a minor-league level. Combine Fenton’s work in Milwaukee with the Predators’ successes drafting and developing, and of course the team’s own ability to stay competitive with limited financial resources, and there’s good reason to think that Fenton would do well with his own franchise.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Saw a quote from a GM in the NFL a while ago that he has a minimum criteria for his coaching hires - they have to have been excellent in their previous role. Sounds obvious and simple but he means you don't hire the offensive coordinator from the 9th ranked offense to be your new HC, you look for the guy who has the #1 offense.

As for GMs, applying that policy means Benning, or Norm Maciver. They've been AGM for three of the last four Cup winners and 4 total appearances in 4 years. That's excellence, recent excellence, and no other AGM or available unemployed GM has a resume close.

Benning's resume is pretty well known.

Maciver took over as the Hawks DPD in 2006. They drafted Toews, then Kane, and won two cups with two goalies. He's been AGM for 2 years now. He will get a shot soon, if not this year.

One of those two guys should be the pick.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Those Willis pieces on various GM candidates are pretty solid. Joe Will comes as pretty innovative and thorough.

Liberati0n*

Those Willis pieces on various GM candidates are pretty solid. Joe Will comes as pretty innovative and thorough.

Damn, yeah. I just read it. He seems really off the radar though, so I would be somewhat surprised if he's a candidate.

Liberati0n*

The assessment of the Sharks in general really brings out how consistent their (non-Cup) success has been. It's pretty impressive.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

what about drafting and developing says that fenton is what McPhee was not? not saying anything one way or the other, but you can like or hate on McPhee's system record. The Caps drafted a lot of their own players and seem to have a system with a lot more good players in it.

the main complaints on gmgm was that he was not aggressive in the trade and ufa markets to fill in what the draft didn't bring and the the construction of the team was off.

what about this writeup on Fenton says he can do that?

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
My vote goes for Joe Will.

Not sold on "Won ring as an assistant GM = better future GM". Winning Stanley Cup as a player doesn't make you better than all players who have not.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA

Not sold on "Won ring as an assistant GM = better future GM". Winning Stanley Cup as a player doesn't make you better than all players who have not.

More on Joe Will:

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Database/San-Jose-Sharks-On-Thick-Ice/

Very interesting stuff.

After closing the 2001-02 season with 99 points and a divisional crown, the 2002-2003 Sharks only earned a paltry 73 points. That left the team in last place in the Pacific Division. At many games up to 3,000 seats, or 17% of arena capacity, were empty. And the team missed the bonus revenue of playoff games, extra dollars that can mean the difference between profit and loss.

"It was a really depressing time for everyone around here," Will says. "And it cost some very good people their jobs."

The Sharks fired their head coach and general manager. The team also traded away several high-priced veterans, including all-star forward Owen Nolan, the team captain, and decided not to re-sign others. The decisions were based largely on what Wills system told Sharks executives.

So after the Sharks missed the playoffs in '02-'03, the Sharks cleaned house, but kept Will. They then made major off-season moves (including trading the team captain) based on Will's input. Since then, including one year pre-lockout, the Sharks have made the playoffs every year, and been eliminated in the first round only twice.

Sign me up.

OldHat

Jul 15, 2013
Under A Mountain
what about drafting and developing says that fenton is what McPhee was not? not saying anything one way or the other, but you can like or hate on McPhee's system record. The Caps drafted a lot of their own players and seem to have a system with a lot more good players in it.

the main complaints on gmgm was that he was not aggressive in the trade and ufa markets to fill in what the draft didn't bring and the the construction of the team was off.

what about this writeup on Fenton says he can do that?

McPhee did have his strengths. Drafting may have more to do with Mahoney and the scouting staff.

My biggest gripe with GMGM was simply his seeming aversion to bringing in guys that played like he did. And that is what has held this team back.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

There's no guarantee in any approach, but there's less risk in getting a guy who's been a key part of championship roster building, vs getting a guy who's been a part of decent but not great roster building.

Resume matters in the front office. Its how you compare candidates experience. Determining how much they contributed to that success, thats what the interviews and reference checking is for.

Looked at another way. If the AGM we promote achieves the same results for us that he saw at his previous stop, who do you want? Or are you expecting the AGM who never won a Cup someplace else, to figure out how to win one here? Do we expect the hire to achieve better results than he has previously, or the same results? What is more risky?

ryan519*

was benning fired recently? hemight be a good choice. truthfully anyone in the bruins organization would probably be great

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am surprised no one here in the past 7+ years has discussed Brian MacLellan our assistant GM. I dont think he gets the job but how has he escaped even discussion here.

Hextall seems to be stealing credit for the Kings. I more credit Terry Murray that instilled the need to play defense in the young stars before he was let go. Yes, that same defense that landed them a cup, That same mentality we may need here yet seems feared by fans. Was Hextall there when they picked up Schultz? He has been eye balling Holmgren's job and I suspect also his GM mega splash style. No thanks.

Ted has a background in mass CD distribution and hiring ex caps. I wonder if Billington has an inside track being a former player.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
The blog post shared in another thread suggested Bob Nicholson. I don't know anything about him. Anyone?

He'd be ideal for Patrick's role, but he left Hockey Canada to spend more time with the family. Can't see him taking on a gig that would require much more time commitment.

I've been on the Joe Will train for a while, so I'll stay there for now.

Another good write up on Will from a few years ago: http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2012/01/29/joe-will-arguably-the-best-potential-g-m-nobodys-heard-of/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad