Speculation: Who should be our Head Coach next season?

Who should be our Head Coach next season? (choose up to 3)

• Total voters

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I don’t think Rob is going to leave Carolina but if he does, we better be doing our best to sign him. Or Gallant. Either way, Tippet needs to go. His decisions are mind boggling and that becomes even more apparent in the playoffs. This roster has it’s flaws but going 1-6 against Chicago and the Jets is unacceptable when we came in as favourites both times.

Hope for Nashville to come back and win the series, I could see Rob maybe moving on if that happens

Tippett is good enough for the regular seasons but has utterly failed in the playoffs (here and elsewhere). He owes Mike Smith for ever seeing a conference finals

Reactions: frag2

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I get it, but I’m simply asking is it the coach or the roster? Now if you are arguing that he should’ve coached the regular season differently to prepare the team for this moment, even if that meant sacrificing individual ice time and accomplishments I think that’s an interesting conversation to be had. The lack of flow in the lineup because of the need to constantly push the 97-29 line out of the gates could be an area to discuss. Maybe we win less games, sacrifice 10 points for McDaniel but the rest of the lineup learns how to do their job? But still this was a regular season team that when scoring first or leading in the third were almost unbeatable this year. So what changed in the past week where that’s not the case?

Moreso on the coach. Here he was with 4 games left in the season STILL tinkering with the lines, just shows how unprepared he was.

His undying and professed love for Bear and refusing to play Bouchard (going back to the regular season) when Bear is causing so many turnovers is a concern.

Asking Leon and Connor if they want to play in meaningless games, where McDavid looked like he may have gotten injured is a big concern. The coach makes the choice who plays, not the players. As I said before, it's the inmates running the asylum. I think McDavid is playing through something which stemmed from that one play against Vancouver.

Refusing to use timeouts. The team was against the ropes at 4-3 and he wanted to get to the TV timeout? What an idiot.

There were more than a few games where they had a multi goal lead and Tippett went into the shell to preserve it and they nearly blew it. I think there was a game or two they did blow it but won it in OT. He has zero killer instinct.

I give Holland a pass because he's still wallowing in the mess Chiarelli created. This offseason is where he needs to make some noise.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Moreso on the coach. Here he was with 4 games left in the season STILL tinkering with the lines, just shows how unprepared he was.

His undying and professed love for Bear and refusing to play Bouchard (going back to the regular season) when Bear is causing so many turnovers is a concern.

Asking Leon and Connor if they want to play in meaningless games, where McDavid looked like he may have gotten injured is a big concern. The coach makes the choice who plays, not the players. As I said before, it's the inmates running the asylum. I think McDavid is playing through something which stemmed from that one play against Vancouver.

Refusing to use timeouts. The team was against the ropes at 4-3 and he wanted to get to the TV timeout? What an idiot.

There were more than a few games where they had a multi goal lead and Tippett went into the shell to preserve it and they nearly blew it. I think there was a game or two they did blow it but won it in OT. He has zero killer instinct.

I give Holland a pass because he's still wallowing in the mess Chiarelli created. This offseason is where he needs to make some noise.

Great post, agreed on all counts (McDrai should have rested after the 100 points were reached). To the bolded, he probably should have hired a better coach. Despite the regular season success, the lack of playoff success is inexcusable in the same breath

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Tippett should be coach next year. He’s literally in the same spot Mclellan was.

Desperate to find something that works outside of McDrai. They need to invest some money into proven depth help, for the first time in years. RNH is as pedestrian as they come, Yamamoto had a massive regression and couldn’t finish a play to save his life currently.

It is crazy I read on here “same old Oilers” yet everyone actually thing hiring about the 10th coach in the last 10 years would fix this team. Maybe it’s time to actually say that the team is built like **** with constant management miss steps and bad pro scouting.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Maurice is gifting the Oilers half the ice as well and daring them to change their game

He's gifting the Oilers their own zone by clogging up the neutral zone.

That's partly why the Oilers haven't had to deal with much forechecking pressure so far, but the Oilers are almost never able to overcome traps.

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
I don't see Ralph Krueger on the list.

Hopefully they rehire him via a Zoom call since Skype is kinda outdated.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

he played a factor.

Been the case all season. Some people thought he was teaching the team to play defense, but in reality, he was praying McDrai scored early and then had the team sit back on the lead.

Then he wonders why no one is scoring when every non-McDrai forward on the team has spent 90% of the their ice time this year just trapping and flipping pucks to center.

Tippett is long past his expiry date in this league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad