Who should be our 3rd line center?

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
A competition is developing for this job during this camp.

The job was set to be the one of Desharnais.
McCarron seems to be ready, bringing all kind of tools the Habs definitely need.
Danault, who was supposed to replace Eller, has been looking good in camp.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
McCarron should be the 3rd line center and they could try DD at wing on that line.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I said it before give Mitchell a shot. Put Mac on the 4th. At some point in the season they can be flipped.

DirtyMitts

Oct 1, 2016
Montréal, QC, Canada
McCarron for sure. I'd like to see a 3rd line Carr - McCarron - Shaw and put Lehkonen on the second. The grit... they would be a treat to watch. Unfortunately it will probably be Desharnais.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Dd-macaron-shaw is a solid third line. You replace dd with Carr if anything happens

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I'm going with Little Davey, we are rolling 3 offensive line and I think Desharnais is more suitable for that role. I hope that he can play like he was playing at the beginning of last season and if we get that type of production out of him, it will make us a very dangerous team.

Let's start the season with Desharnais and see what happens...

Last edited:

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
All the people who want Mac to start the season with the big club just can't stand DD anymore and want him out of this team.

There're more things involved in this decision like contracts,player development and team strategy.

Mac will develop faster by playing on the first line in the AHL , getting tons of PP and PK time.

If DD is once again abysmal , nothing's preventing them to call up Mac later in the season.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
All the people who want Mac to start the season with the big club just can't stand DD anymore and want him out of this team.

There're more things involved in this decision like contracts,player development and team strategy.

Mac will develop faster by playing on the first line in the AHL , getting tons of PP and PK time.

If DD is once again abysmal , nothing's preventing them to call up Mac later in the season.

Don't pretend you know what anyone thinks here, your comment actually shows otherwise.

In the real world, there's people who'd like to see McCaron with the Habs for what McCaron bring, and nothing else.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Don't pretend you know what anyone thinks here, your comment actually shows otherwise.

In the real world, there's people who'd like to see McCaron with the Habs for what McCaron bring, and nothing else.

Please, let's not kid ourselves here, it's not like it's my first day on this board.

Even I want him gone , but it makes no sense to send him down or scratch him without even give him to start the season. He started well last season as the whole team did.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Desharnais to start the season. No brainer. After that, when sample size is greater then I don't care if DD plays well, you always hope someone plays better. It's internal competition and having more options is better.

I'm hoping DD plays well but McCarron or Danault play so well consistently it speeds up the process. Nothing against DD but he's not a long term solution so as soon as someone else shows they are ready for a bigger role he should be put aside...especially given he gets more and more tradeable the less term is on his contract.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Please, let's not kid ourselves here, it's not like it's my first day on this board.

Even I want him gone , but it makes no sense to send him down or scratch him without even give him to start the season. He started well last season as the whole team did.

Agreed. It's Desharnais spot to lose BUT if someone emerges, then so be it. I just don't see a few games pushing DD aside that quickly. It will take a little more of a sample than that.

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
Its DD spot to lose, but I would gladly see a Center depth of Galchenyuk, Plekanec, McCaron and Danault.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Agreed. It's Desharnais spot to lose BUT if someone emerges, then so be it. I just don't see a few games pushing DD aside that quickly. It will take a little more of a sample than that.

The perfect scenario would be if DD is having a good season and Mac is killing it in the AHL.

At the trade deadline you trade DD for a second or third round pick , call up Mac and finish the season with him.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Anyone but DD. Such a massive fail that that guy is still in our organization after MB committed to going "All-in" in the next couple years.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
If we want 0 production from our 3rd line then McCarron should be the center, there's no way McCarron should be on our 3rd line if he plays this season, he's a 4th line player right now (in the NHL).

BrendanGallagher11

Sep 18, 2013
Montreal
Plek would be the perfect third line center .

Too bad we only have Galchy ahead of him ...:<

I want it be Mccaron but it most likely will be desharnais

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
We traded Eller because Danault made him expendable. Eller was our third line center but somehow DD is now the third line center.

There is talk about Galchenyuk becoming a penalty killer and DD is hoping to play on the pp. In a third line role isn't that a backwards scenario?

This year if we send down big mac and push Danault to the wing I want to believe there will be times when both Mitchell and Plekanec will cover for Desharnais because there are elements of a third line centers game that he simply cannot perform. It will be done by committee and what I mean by that is this, when third line situations are favorable we will see DD and when they are not(our own end face-offs) and late in game defensive situations we will see Pleks and Mitchell and that's how DD will be our so called third line center.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

I voted McCarron and yes i don't want DD on this team.
McCarron can take PK, be a great PP option for screening, can take defensive missions.
He can hits, fight and be a physical presence.
He's very good to win his battle 1-on-1.
DD is good for what?.....some playmaking which we don't see very often?

But mostly, McCarron did a lot better with a lot less than Desharnais in camps.
Habs need that giant player on his bottom 6, they need him badly.

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
If we want 0 production from our 3rd line then McCarron should be the center, there's no way McCarron should be on our 3rd line if he plays this season, he's a 4th line player right now (in the NHL).

I think Mccarron will produce with productive wingers. Put him with two 12-15 goals scorer guys, plus some time on PP, and he should get at least 20 assists, + around 10+ goals.

He creates scoring chances, space, shots, passes, net trafic, he retrieves pucks and win most of his board battles.

He was close to dominant in today,s game. He will grow and develop a lot faster by playing in the NHL and as much as I wanted him C4 to start the season, I think he could do really well at C3 now.

If some fans thought of Eller as a perfect C3, Mccarron is showing that is not that far off if not already more efficient in that role. Mccarron produces puck possession, and more than ofthen his line is finishing the shift in o-zone.

With wingers like Carr, Shaw, Ghetto, Lehkonen, I would not be surprised to see Mccarron hitting 30 pts in his first full NHL season, which would be absolutely great, considering all other things that he brings to this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad