Who scores 100 points first?

Who?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
MacKinnon was on pace to do it last year, but I'm not sure if that was a career year or if that's what we can expect from him going forward.

Matthews still has to show more of a playmaking touch for me to pencil him in for 100+ points. Otherwise, he'll have to score in the 60 goal range to reach 100 points, as so far he hasn't been more than a 40 or less assist guy.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Slim chance either does, but Mackinnon is more dynamic offensively. OTOH Matthews has more support in Toronto. Idk. I say Mackinnon

Reactions: dukeofjive

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
MacKinnon had 97 in 74 this past season, so I'll say him. He was a monster this year.

I never suspected Matthews would score that many. I see him as an elite 90-point player that can play both ends in his prime.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
The way the Leafs play and hand out minutes, it would take a miracle for Matthews to hit 100 points. Adding Tavares makes it even less likely that he would ever hit 100. I can see high 80s and low 90s if he plays with Nylander and Marleau but unless Tavares and Kadri go down for a long time and Toronto has no choice but to give Matthews 2 mins on the PP and 18-20 minutes on ES, he’s not going to hit 100.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
MacKinnon was on pace to do it last year, but I'm not sure if that was a career year or if that's what we can expect from him going forward.

Matthews still has to show more of a playmaking touch for me to pencil him in for 100+ points. Otherwise, he'll have to score in the 60 goal range to reach 100 points, as so far he hasn't been more than a 40 or less assist guy.

He’s playmaking touch would be showcased more if he wasn’t playing with zach stone hands Hyman for the last 2 years

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
The way the Leafs play and hand out minutes, it would take a miracle for Matthews to hit 100 points. Adding Tavares makes it even less likely that he would ever hit 100. I can see high 80s and low 90s if he plays with Nylander and Marleau but unless Tavares and Kadri go down for a long time and Toronto has no choice but to give Matthews 2 mins on the PP and 18-20 minutes on ES, he’s not going to hit 100.
Thats because Babcock is an absolute moron and gives lesser players more TOI

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Id bet a lot that a 22 year old didnt have his career year

Crosby's career high in points came at 19. Ovechkin's career high in points came at age 22. Malkin's career high in points came at age 22. Stamkos' career high in points came at age 21.

It's not uncommon for elite scorers to have their best years (statistically) at 22 or younger.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Crosby's career high in points came at 19. Ovechkin's career high in points came at age 22. Malkin's career high in points came at age 22. Stamkos' career high in points came at age 21.

It's not uncommon for elite scorers to have their best years (statistically) at 22 or younger.
That is in fact uncommon.

The studied and average peak of a forward is 26-28, and while there is always the chance he peaked early I would never bet against him growing further.

Not to mention Ovechkin, Malkin, and Crosby are very rare cases. Stamkos is the closest comparable.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
That is in fact uncommon.

The studied and average peak of a forward is 26-28, and while there is always the chance he peaked early I would never bet against him growing further.

Not to mention Ovechkin, Malkin, and Crosby are very rare cases. Stamkos is the closest comparable.

I'd like to see a link to this supposed study, because all one has to do is look on hockey-reference to see what age the majority of the elite players were when they had their career high in points.

Even guys I didn't list who scored at a bit higher age, weren't far off. Tavares' career high is at 24. Thornton *just* turned 26 at season's end the year he set his career high. Jagr's career high was at age 23. Sakic was 26. Yzerman was 23. Etc.

The only players I can think of lately that had their career years later on were the Sedins. Pretty much every elite or star player I can think of had their best seasons (statistically) at or before age 26.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I'd like to see a link to this supposed study, because all one has to do is look on hockey-reference to see what age the majority of the elite players were when they had their career high in points.

Even guys I didn't list who scored at a bit higher age, weren't far off. Tavares' career high is at 24. Thornton *just* turned 26 at season's end the year he set his career high. Jagr's career high was at age 23. Sakic was 26. Yzerman was 23. Etc.

The only players I can think of lately that had their career years later on were the Sedins. Pretty much every elite or star player I can think of had their best seasons (statistically) at or before age 26.
Thanks for that. This is why I read these boards for posts like this. I had no idea that elite players peaked so early. It’s probably unique to hockey. I’m thinking that baseball players, basketball players and maybe football quarterbacks peak later but I have no evidence of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad