Who represents St Louis in 2020 ASG?

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
The league ensures every team has a representative in the all-star game, but the home team usually has more.
For reference, San Jose had Pavelski, Burns and Karlsson last year. In 2018 Tampa had 4 (Kucherov, Point, Stamkos and Vasilevskiy. Nashville has 4 the year they hosted.

So, I’m wondering who are likely to be the Blues’ all stars, and how many players they’ll get.

My likely choices:
Binnington
Pietrangelo

then the next tier:
O’Reilly
Perron (based on points)
Schenn

Might deserve, but won’t go:
Parayko
Walker (just kidding)

I’m guessing as the reigning Cup champs, there is a pretty strong chance they’ll get 4 players in. For sure at least 3. I think O’Reilly probably gets the nod as #3. I remember when Perron was a rookie representative and played in that 3 on 3 event, before it was the normal OT format. It was cool. I’d love to see him get rewarded.

Anyway, thought it would be fun to have a thread to discuss this. I’d like to see Parayko there, just to be part of the hardest shot competition.

Allen’s save percentage is up to .926 after tonight’s shutout. Maybe he’ll get invited!

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
The league ensures every team has a representative in the all-star game, but the home team usually has more.
For reference, San Jose had Pavelski, Burns and Karlsson last year. In 2018 Tampa had 4 (Kucherov, Point, Stamkos and Vasilevskiy. Nashville has 4 the year they hosted.

So, I’m wondering who are likely to be the Blues’ all stars, and how many players they’ll get.

My likely choices:
Binnington
Pietrangelo

then the next tier:
O’Reilly
Perron (based on points)
Schenn

Might deserve, but won’t go:
Parayko
Walker (just kidding)

I’m guessing as the reigning Cup champs, there is a pretty strong chance they’ll get 4 players in. For sure at least 3. I think O’Reilly probably gets the nod as #3. I remember when Perron was a rookie representative and played in that 3 on 3 event, before it was the normal OT format. It was cool. I’d love to see him get rewarded.

Anyway, thought it would be fun to have a thread to discuss this. I’d like to see Parayko there, just to be part of the hardest shot competition.

Allen’s save percentage is up to .926 after tonight’s shutout. Maybe he’ll get invited!
I’d guess Binny, Petro, and ROR. As champs and at home I’d quite frankly find it insulting if we got less.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Pietrangelo for sure. After that I strongly feel it has to be Schenn and Perron. Those guys have been leaders this year and have the production to get the nod. Binnington has to be there though so how about as hosts and the 2019 Stanley Cup Champions we get 4 and everyone just deals with it.

Edit: I am not missing out on mic'ed up Jordan Binnington for anything, one of the forwards needs to take one for the team if we only get 3 reps.

Reactions: Ridge1982

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Pietrangelo absolutely. Hike up his leverage in contract negotiations, AND his trade value if we (God forbid) go that route. after that Binny for sure, and either ROR or Parayko. (Preferably both!).

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
The NHL panels have placed the following prediction for the 11 man (6F, 3D, 2G) ASG central roster.

MacKinnon
Kane
Perron
Scheifele
Seguin
Staal

Heiskanen
Makar
Josi

Binny
Hellebyuck

Because each team gets 1 representative, and I can't see either of MacKinnon and Makar not going that caps us at 3 reps.

Maybe Scheifele, Heiskanen or Seguin get bumped to get us a 3rd rep, but Petro could be getting snuffed here because Josi is the only Nashville player getting selected and Makar as the Calder front runner at nearly a PPG is also going. And Heiskanen is having a pretty good season too. At this stage, Heiskanen is the weak link of the 4 teams with extra reps.

So I'll predict we send
ROR
Petro
Binny

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Pietrangelo absolutely. Hike up his leverage in contract negotiations, AND his trade value if we (God forbid) go that route. after that Binny for sure, and either ROR or Parayko. (Preferably both!).

Looking around the division, I can't see Parayko getting the nod - 2/3 dmen spots are taken by Josi and Makar unless they get hurt or suddenly forget how to play. Petro vs Heiskanen for the 3rd dman, with Petro likely getting the nod (host city favouritism as the tie breaker).

Colt won't get enough captain votes from the public (I suspect MacKinnon gets this honor) and his only other chance at getting in becomes as a last minute injury replacement. He's an amazing dman, but he isn't flashy enough to get the votes as a representative.

Reactions: Blueston

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I bet there will be a player or two who decline by citing minor injuries. Maybe that will open more room? I think the Central has some tough competition for reps.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
schenn
petro
binnington
ROR

and possibly parayko and perron

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I think Perron is most deserving of all the forwards. What a year he is having. Petro, Binnington, Perron and if we get one more spot then a toss up between Schenn/ROR

Reactions: CoMoBlues

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
I don't care if Petro deserves it more ( if he doesn't get selected, at least he can't use it to drive up his price), I want Parayko there just so he can take part in the Hardest shot competition.

Reactions: ManyIdeas

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
My prediction for the Central

F-
Kane
MacKinnon
Staal
O’Reilly
Perron
Laine

D-
Makar
Josi
Pietrangelo

G-
Bishop
Binnington

If they only give us 3, I could see Hellebuyck or Schiefele getting in over Binner or one of ROR/Perron.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
As much as other players might deserve spots, I think we're basically guaranteed three spots with an shot at four. Binny and Petro are locks at this point, and one or two of Perron, ROR, and Schenn.

Reagans Blues

Apr 12, 2019
USA
It would be cool to have more than one representative for once. I'm hoping three of the following: Binnington, Petro, ROR, Perron, Schenn.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
It'll be 3. I'd be shocked if it was more or less. In order Binny-Pietrangelo-Schenn-Perron-ROR. I know ROR has more value and deserves to be there, but the ASG is usually 100% stat driven and Schenn and Perron have better stats, at least currently.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Binnington is not a lock for a bid. He is 3rd among starters in the Central in both GAA and Save percentage. I could see Hellebuyck (21 gms, 2.23, .933) and Bishop (19 gm, 2.20, .928) getting the nod over Binnington (21 gm, 2.26, .926). You could make the argument, Binner deserves it more than Bishop (more wins, more shutouts, more games), but Bishop is Dallas' best player. If someone gets the nod for Dallas, its closer on merit for him than Seguin or Heiskanen.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Binnington is not a lock for a bid. He is 3rd among starters in the Central in both GAA and Save percentage. I could see Hellebuyck (21 gms, 2.23, .933) and Bishop (19 gm, 2.20, .928) getting the nod over Binnington (21 gm, 2.26, .926). You could make the argument, Binner deserves it more than Bishop (more wins, more shutouts, more games), but Bishop is Dallas' best player. If someone gets the nod for Dallas, its closer on merit for him than Seguin or Heiskanen.
True but its not just that. Binny won Cup and game is in STL. This event is about promoting game and having Binny there would be great on many levels.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Binnington was just 2nd in a mid-season straw poll among media for Vezina. If stats hold up as they are currently, it will be pretty crazy to see who gets the nod from those 3. But fair or tiebreaker will go to the host team and Binnington will get in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad