Who represents St Louis in 2020 ASG?

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Binnington was just 2nd in a mid-season straw poll among media for Vezina. If stats hold up as they are currently, it will be pretty crazy to see who gets the nod from those 3. But fair or tiebreaker will go to the host team and Binnington will get in.
Here's the thing: Helle and Bishop could be the most deserving and only rep from each of their teams. I don't see how you could bump Helle if he still has these types of stats at selection time. That means it would be Binner vs Bishop. Bumping Bishop for Binny means that you are now shoehorning Heiskenen onto the team and suddenly there is no room for Petro (since Makar and Josi should be locks). I don't think Seguin should be there with his 21 points (only 6 of which are goals), but if he does it would likely be at the expense of Perron. We have been talking about ROR like he is having a down year, but he has 26 points in 29 games and is the reigning Conn Smythe and Selke winner. He is going to be at the All Star game if he keeps that up. They aren't leaving Petro off the roster in order to get Binner in there, so I could see Binner getting left off in order to free up a skater position.

It's going to be really hard for us to send 4 guys, especially if Laine and Helle keep playing well enough that you pretty much have to send both. At the end of the day, it very well may come down to a decision between Binner and Perron.

Last edited:

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Here's the thing: Helle and Bishop could be the most deserving and only rep from each of their teams. I don't see how you could bump Helle if he still has these types of stats at selection time. That means it would be Binner vs Bishop. Bumping Bishop for Binny means that you are now shoehorning Heiskenen onto the team and suddenly there is no room for Petro (since Makar and Josi should be locks). I don't think Seguin should be there with his 21 points (only 6 of which are goals). They aren't leaving Petro off the roster in order to get Binner in there, so I could see Binner getting left off in order to free up a skater position.
I suppose that improves the chance for Blues forwards.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
My guess if rosters were picked today:

Forwards:
ROR
Perron
Kane
MacKinnon
Staal
Laine

D-
Makar
Josi
Pietrangelo

G-
Bishop
Hellboy

I can't leave out a goalie with a .933 and absurd 15.74 GSAA through 20 starts. Especially since his backup is rocking an .885 and you look at the names on that blue line. I think Binner is more deserving than Bishop, but Dallas has to have a representative and the gap between the two of them is more narrow than the gap between other Dallas skaters and the skaters they would push off of the roster. If I were putting Binner over Bishop, I'd swap Seguin for Laine.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I’d be floored if Binnington isn’t there. More than anything else, I expect that.

I’d guess Pietrangelo and then probably O’Reilly as well

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
3-on-3 for the All-Star game is stupid. If it’s about showcasing the leagues best players, the more the merrier. A 20-man squad of East and West teams should be the standard, and if a team doesn’t have a player worthy of the game, so be it. The only time a player should be forced onto a roster undeservingly, is if the home team is unrepresented...then they get one. If Detroit was hosting this year, for instance. Otherwise, best of the best only and if it means 14 members of one team on their conferences All-Star squad, fine.

Regardless, I haven’t watched an All-Star game in nearly two-decades (and have no plans to do so), so i don’t particularly care one way or the other. I’d just assume they all (the Blues players) stay home so as not to see our Cup-chances dissolve into smoke due to a freak injury in an exhibition game. In fact, the whole spectacle should be scrapped as far as I’m concerned, as ASG in general are a farce, an inconvenience and a lousy product in general.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Here's the thing: Helle and Bishop could be the most deserving and only rep from each of their teams. I don't see how you could bump Helle if he still has these types of stats at selection time. That means it would be Binner vs Bishop. Bumping Bishop for Binny means that you are now shoehorning Heiskenen onto the team and suddenly there is no room for Petro (since Makar and Josi should be locks). I don't think Seguin should be there with his 21 points (only 6 of which are goals), but if he does it would likely be at the expense of Perron. We have been talking about ROR like he is having a down year, but he has 26 points in 29 games and is the reigning Conn Smythe and Selke winner. He is going to be at the All Star game if he keeps that up. They aren't leaving Petro off the roster in order to get Binner in there, so I could see Binner getting left off in order to free up a skater position.

It's going to be really hard for us to send 4 guys, especially if Laine and Helle keep playing well enough that you pretty much have to send both. At the end of the day, it very well may come down to a decision between Binner and Perron.

Binner is arguably the face of the team nationally. If he’s playing at the level he currently is, he makes it. The city the game is in will overrule Helle.

ROR
Mackinnon
Kane
Koivu/Staal
Laine
??? (Maybe Perron)

Pietrangelo
Makar
Josi

Binnington
Bishop

Reactions: Punished ROR

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
3-on-3 for the All-Star game is stupid. If it’s about showcasing the leagues best players, the more the merrier. A 20-man squad of East and West teams should be the standard, and if a team doesn’t have a player worthy of the game, so be it. The only time a player should be forced onto a roster undeservingly, is if the home team is unrepresented...then they get one. If Detroit was hosting this year, for instance. Otherwise, best of the best only and if it means 14 members of one team on their conferences All-Star squad, fine.

Regardless, I haven’t watched an All-Star game in nearly two-decades (and have no plans to do so), so i don’t particularly care one way or the other. I’d just assume they all (the Blues players) stay home so as not to see our Cup-chances dissolve into smoke due to a freak injury in an exhibition game. In fact, the whole spectacle should be scrapped as far as I’m concerned, as ASG in general are a farce, an inconvenience and a lousy product in general.
The skills competitions used to be fun, but the game itself always sucked

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Keep in mind that it is decided by fan voting. Does anyone remember John Scott being voted in for Captain of an All Star team? Good times. That was funny.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Binner is arguably the face of the team nationally. If he’s playing at the level he currently is, he makes it. The city the game is in will overrule Helle.

ROR
Mackinnon
Kane
Koivu/Staal
Laine
??? (Maybe Perron)

Pietrangelo
Makar
Josi

Binnington
Bishop

I don't think Binner is among the top 3 faces of the team nationally if you count Tarasenko. I think that is firmly Petro, ROR and Tarasenko.

Only a handful of goalies in this league are the face of their team and national opinion of Binner's personality is not great. I'm somewhat active on 3 national-level online hockey communities and the vast majority of posts I see about him are related to his on-ice temper. Outside of Blues fans, not a lot of people liked his bump in the corner with Clifford. Outside of Blues fans, people were pretty mad about his blocker punch against Nashville. With Allen posting good numbers and our team's history with Hutton/Elliott, I've seen a lot of people who believe he is simply the product of our system. I don't think the national consensus of Binny is that he is a superstar face of the franchise.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Still voting for Perron.

3rd time with the Blues, likes being here, high performer, SC winner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad