Who on your favorite team would you NOT trade for Dahlin?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Dahlin is being heavily underrated in this thread.

I could understand some of these responses if this thread was about a weaker #1 overall like Yakupov or Hischier but Dahlin is more hyped than Matthews or Stamkos were and projects to be a top-5 player in his prime. People are really saying they would rather have a player that isn’t even top-30 in the NHL. Give your head a shake.

When a player is this hyped, there’s a reason for it. I remember people saying McDavid was a top-10 player in the NHL before he even played a single game, and guess what? They were entirely correct. Dahlin is not quite as hyped, but there’s no logical reason to believe that Dahlin is not VERY LIKELY to be a significantly more valuable player than a Provorov, Werenski, PLD, Boeser, Pettersson, Marner, etc. type player.

Is there any combination of two players that you wouldn’t instantly say yes to? Personally, the answer to that question is no for me.

which of those guys isnt top 30?
Matthews who was the only guy to get 40 in his draft +1 in recent memory or Stamkos, who has hit 60 before?

Dahlin is hyped yeah. but he may be OVERhyped because there hasnt been a d prospect guaranteed to go #1 in forever. Ekblad was the closest but even then, some experts had Reinhart ahead.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
This is going to be a very funny read in a year or two (or three). Ignorance is sky high. There's also a surprising amount of people foolishly attached to their 30+ stars.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Gaudreau and Tkachuk. Monahan would be tough but I think I could do him.

Also the Leafs fans commenting on here are delusional.
I would let them all go for Dahlin

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
A lot of delusion and BS in this thread, on the Ducks I would trade anyone for him. Generational defensive prospects on ELC forever is there anything better? He is the best defensive prospect I have ever seen.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Good to see the NHL draft's hype machine in full force. Flash forward to a year from now after a respectable but not spectacular 15 goal 40 pt year for Dahlin on the Sabres and 80% of you changing your answers. The SEL and the NHL are two very different leagues.

Scoring 15 goals and 40 points as an 18 year old rookie defenseman is mighty impressive. It would be even more impressive if he continued to shows growth as a next level talent that literally every scout who's watched him play believes he will become.

Yes the SHL is not as good of a league as the NHL. No the gap is not a large as people want to beleive.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Sure. You said you would bet Marner would out produce Gaudreau "rather easily". What does rather easily look like to you? 84 for instance is easily a bigger number than, let's say for the sake of argument, 69. That's a 15 pt difference. Or we could make it 10 to give you a realistic shot. Bets off if either player misses more than 10 games?

I mean, if we're talking about putting our mouth where the money is.

Sure I am game. One has to out produce the other by at least 10 points. See you in April.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Scoring 15 goals and 40 points as an 18 year old rookie defenseman is mighty impressive. It would be even more impressive if he continued to shows growth as a next level talent that literally every scout who's watched him play believes he will become.

Yes the SHL is not as good of a league as the NHL. No the gap is not a large as people want to beleive.

This is more for clarification than anything else but the word "respectable" does not have a negative connotation. Sure it would be impressive. But would it be spectacular? What would he have to do to run away with the Calder? For instance Barzal's season this year really grabbed me and some others around the hockey world. Matthews scoring 40 in his first year was spectacular. McDavid breaking 100 pts 2 years in a row playing for the Edmonton Oilers was spectacular.

Just saying it's going to be much harder for Dahlin as a young defenseman playing in Buffalo to stand out from the crowd like those players did. Especially when he's not getting the time or space playing against much better competition than he's used to coming over from Sweden. I think that gap is every bit as large as people want to believe. There's a reason why the top earners in the SHL make less than $300 000 while the top earners in the NHL make upwards of $10 000 000.

Sure I am game. One has to out produce the other by at least 10 points. See you in April.

Well that's a lil bit of backtracking but I'll allow it being the sportsman that I am. See you then :)

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
I love the butt hurt reactions by those outraged that there are like 20 guys named people wouldn't trade for him.

Sabres fans should look to Edmonton and Toronto fans as lessons on what not to do with regards to your shiny new toy. You will just make people resent the constant noise and they will take every opportunity to disparage him.

Be excited, be optimistic, do not assume he is the best player in the league.

Oh and my answer is just Matthews & Marner.

Listen, as a die-hard Sabres fan I really do agree with you. I am absolutely giddy at the chance of drafting Dahlin. And, if you look at my post history, I know damn well I haven’t gloated once because who the hell gloats over that considering the circumstances?

Truth is, I’m a 50 year old man hoping my team (Sabres or Bills) wins a championship before I am pushing up daisy’s. I have legitimate doubts that will happen.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad