Who might Dubas trade first, Marner or Nylander?

Not who do you want traded, but who would he, if he had to?

• Mitch

• Willie

Results are only viewable after voting.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Not who do you want gone, but who does the golden child sacrifice for a contender?

After looking at a hundred ridiculous trade threads involving these guys I am wondering why people think KD would do one or the other. Is it based on the value to Leafs being less or more, or that other clubs might have to seize on the salary vs cap hit just to get them through the next rocky season?

For me, as players, I have no great preference between the two as their salaries are so far apart.

I honestly wouldn't want to trade Marner after this crap season. I think it will be an anomaly and he will have many much better years, and I don't think you get close to full value today hoping other teams will swallow the $10.8M for 16g so you keep MM.

But Willie can play two positions (kind of) and is a better scorer and his AAV is way less so you keep him.

Assuming Dubas decided his new big 4 had to include a D man who goes?

RebuildYear5

Sep 24, 2020
Is this a joke?

Marner is the only player that shows emotion and plays outside his comfort levels, hes blocked more shots and saves more goals in 1games vs Nylander all season.

Also broke Leafs records for assists.
But hey let's keep the guy that almost opted out lastyear, lolol

freshwind

Mar 23, 2002
i chose mitch for salary reasons .... willie does not make enough to be a difference maker, mitch does ... i am speaking cap hits, not dollars...
i suspect he will run this season without moving one of them but come next off-season all bets are off

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Nylander at $7 million and 60-70 points

Marner at $11 million and 80-90 points

Not sure the $4 million is worth the extra 10-20 points.

Ultimately it would depend on the return. If the return made sense i think they need to. Especially if they can sign pietrangelo.

As an example to sens for tkatchuk and their 2nd. If you can get that plus pietrangelo how do you not move marner.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Not under the impression it'll be either tbh. But if any, probably Willy. I like both players, and people don't wanna hear it who are Marner supporters, but a 30G 40A type player at 6.96m is easier to move than a 20G 70A type player at 10.893m. A lot of people would leave that 20 point potential gap on the board to save 4mil in cap space. 4 million is quite a bit for a roster. So to answer the question, if there is a move to be made, I think it'll be Nylander. I think he has the more moveable contract of the two. But like I said, I don't think either moves.

Reactions: Beleafer34

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Nylander at $7 million and 60-70 points

Marner at $11 million and 80-90 points

Not sure the $4 million is worth the extra 10-20 points.

Ultimately it would depend on the return. If the return made sense i think they need to. Especially if they can sign pietrangelo.

As an example to sens for tkatchuk and their 2nd. If you can get that plus pietrangelo how do you not move marner.
That’s an overly simplistic way of looking at it overlooking potential and intangibles. Marner has Hart trophy potential.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I wouldn't expect either to be on the move. I'd probably look lower on the payroll scale first though if a move were to eventually be made (Nylander).

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
The problem with trying to trade wingers is it's the least valuable position in hockey.

I would say it's extremely unlikely to get an effective top pair D man for Marner or Nylander. Most likely is a 2nd pair D.

The best value would be to try to do separate trades. Trade either guy for picks and prospects and then turn those assets into what you really need (two top pair D). And I dont think Nylander and Marner will return enough assets to bring back two top pair D.

Trading Matthews and Nylander in separate trades might do the trick.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I wouldn't expect either to be on the move. I'd probably look lower on the payroll scale first though if a move were to eventually be made (Nylander).

Lower on the pay scale isn't going to give you the cap room needed to land a top 4 D. It's also less likely to bring back the assets needed to acquire a top 4 D.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Lower on the pay scale isn't going to give you the cap room needed to land a top 4 D. It's also less likely to bring back the assets needed to acquire a top 4 D.

That's fair. It could also then be argued that the better player is being removed to add that top four d-man. Would the team be better off in doing that? It's debatable.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
That's fair. It could also then be argued that the better player is being removed to add that top four d-man. Would the team be better off in doing that? It's debatable.

Its debatable, but this team has problems throughout the lineup. So the more of a shakeup, the better IMO.

They play a gutless brand of hockey. Even if the Leafs did get a top flight D, I dont think it'll make a difference because they will come in and assimilate to the group and play soft. You need to get rid of the so called leaders on the team to improve the culture.

There's a reason teams laugh at how easy it is to play the Leafs every night. Nobody is scared of guys who are most focused on which shoes go with their funky scarf.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Is this a joke?

Marner is the only player that shows emotion and plays outside his comfort levels, hes blocked more shots and saves more goals in 1games vs Nylander all season.

Also broke Leafs records for assists.
But hey let's keep the guy that almost opted out lastyear, lolol
Agreed, when was the last time we saw Nylander do this

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Agreed, when was the last time we saw Nylander do this

Did you see the game 6 Marchand goal after the Leafs took a 1-0 lead with the Bruins' on the PP? I don't know where Marner's head was when the puck dropped, but he cheated and completely blew by Marchand and left him all alone to wrist the loose puck by Freddie. It was a pivotal game with the Leafs leading 3-2 in the series...we all know how that ended.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Did you see the game 6 Marchand goal after the Leafs took a 1-0 lead with the Bruins' on the PP? I don't know where Marner's head was when the puck dropped, but he cheated and completely blew by Marchand and left him all alone to wrist the loose puck by Freddie. It was a pivotal game with the Leafs leading 3-2 in the series...we all know how that ended.
Marners job isn't the winger on a defensive zone face-off, it's to get out to high asap. If I remember correctly our D froze, which I think was Hainsey.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
If we trade one are you cool with Denis Malgin being the 1st line RW if the other gets hurt?

Keep them both unless you get something ridiculous.

Exaggerating much? This is why you draft BPA, to replace the expensive contracts with cheaper talent.

Robertson Matthews Hyman
Mikheyev Tavares Nylander

And any of Johnsson Kerfoot Korshkov Barabanov.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Due to his ludicrous cap hit, Marner would have fewer suitors, but I think he'd net the better return and likely clear more cap space. So probably Marner.
Is the cap hit really that big of an issue?

Teams will be operating at internal cap hits now.

Marner is owed 700k this season.

Next season teams gotta throw up $$$$$

After that they're cruising at 8 mil / season.

Why would teams on internal budgets care if his cap hit takes them to the limit ? They're not paying anything.

Thats 4 years of steal money for marner. Only one season of having to pay close to his cap hit. Leafs knew what they were doing with this contract.

I maintain marners contract is not a liability. If leafs put him on the market , teams will make moves for him . Marner is one of those "rarely become available" types.

If teams on internal budgets aren't even willing to pay 8 mil for marner, sucks for them. Their team can remain shit.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I would prefer keep both. Forget about the AP and we aren’t going to have to yet. If the deal is right move Matthews I don’t care. This stuff is impossible to answer for me unless there is names,pick,prospects known. I know sH!t soooo lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad