Speculation: Who might be the Sabres 2nd round targets

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
If Ho-Sang and Demko are sitting at 31 which would you take?

I'm probably one of the bigger proponents of going after Demko on these boards, but I still go Ho-Sang there. Boom or bust winger with speed to burn...exactly what this prospect pool needs.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I hope we can trade up and draft Dylan Larkin.

I like Larkin, I think he goes in that 18-24 range.
Reminds me of TJ Oshie.

I don't think we'll be trading up into the 1st, with second rounders... if we get another 1st, it will involve players.

The 2nd round of this draft is pretty much garbage. The talent falls off a cliff after the top 30ish

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
I like Larkin, I think he goes in that 18-24 range.
Reminds me of TJ Oshie.

I don't think we'll be trading up into the 1st, with second rounders... if we get another 1st, it will involve players.

The 2nd round of this draft is pretty much garbage. The talent falls off a cliff after the top 30ish

I disagree, after around 12, the talent drops to mostly second round grades. However there are like 40-45 players who have mid to late second round grades. Half of the first round will see second round grade players but the first 20 picks in round two have plenty if value with prospects with holes in their games.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
39. pick. Travis Sanheim.

I think we should grab one left handed potential top-4 d-man. After Zadorov and McCabe hit the pro team we practically have none left handed d-men in our pool (Brady Austin is the only one). I think we should have at least one in the pipeline in order to have more flexibility in the trade market (some teams might seek for left handed top-4- d-men) - especially if we're to trade Ehrhoff at some point.

He might be available because a lot of the d-men are righties, and they tend to be more attractive.

Sanheim seems to be getting alot of love since the U18s. I wouldn't be surprised if he is the 3rd defenseman picked(and he gets drafted top 20)

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Here's a nice write-up on Ryan Donato: http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/06/05/2014-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-hm1-ryan-donato/

I've never seen him play, but he seems like a reasonable target in the 2nd. He put up disgusting high school numbers (37 + 41 = 78 in 30 GP), has NHL bloodlines, and is slated to attend Harvard with our own Sean Malone next year.

Just came to suggest him. I'd love it if we grabbed him with 39. Demko 31 and Donato(or Pettersson) at 39 would be ideal.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
There will be a few guys at 31 that you wont expect. Most of these mocks only have 2-4 defensemen going in the 1st round and I would be shocked if it ends up like that. There will also be a few teams that will reach on a guy that you wouldn't expect especially towards the end of the 1st (like jfb said about Jake Walman). Then there are the guys every year that are supposed to go 10-20 that fall all the way to the 2nd round. That's going to leave 3 or 4 guys at 31 that you would never expect to be there.

Also this infatuation with Demko is so confusing. I'd be a very sad panda if we took him at 31 or 39 over some of the guys who will be there, even 49 is pushing it.

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
Am I the only one that would rather target Nedeljkovic over Demko? I'd much rather target Nedeljkovic or Husso at 49 or 60 rather than Demko at 31 or 39. Some guys that Murray has first round grades on will slip to 31 and 39, so I'd rather not pick a goalie at that point (unless they absolutely love one of them).

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
If think the sabres should package ehrhoff+31/39 to get into the 6-9 range and draft hadyn fleury. your d-core would be set for 10+ years then:
fleury-myers
zadorov-ristolainen
mcabe-pysyk
weber/mcbain/ruhwedel

CrookedCrook

Jan 12, 2014
Latvia
If think the sabres should package ehrhoff+31/39 to get into the 6-9 range and draft hadyn fleury. your d-core would be set for 10+ years then:
fleury-myers
zadorov-ristolainen
mcabe-pysyk
weber/mcbain/ruhwedel

If such package would be made we would just draft a high ceiling winger like Ehlers or Nylander, no point in getting more defense.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
If such package would be made we would just draft a high ceiling winger like Ehlers or Nylander, no point in getting more defense.

I guess. was just thinking fleury would give you that top pairing lh as don't think zadorov is that guy but solid #2 lh. Sabres have a very bright future though with all the young talent they have and the boatload of picks they have the next couple years.

I'm very high on fleury as I think he'll be the 3rd best player to come from this draft after ekblad+reinhart

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
I would be all for trading Ehrhoff to put us in position to get another top 10 pick. As another poster above stated...I would like to target Ehlers or Nylander with that pick.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
huuuunnnggggh 13 pullups! That's 12.5 more than bennett!!!!!!11!

Obviously Ho Sang's high pull up performance may harm his PUTDP number (Pull Up to Draft Position), whereas bennett's PUTDP will be stellar. I believe PUTDP # will be the new Corsi number and the anchor of all future advance stats!

Who the hell cares about how many more pull-ups they did. SMH. :shakehead

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
The usual suspects seem to vary but the prospects that could possibly be there at pick 31 are Goldobin, Schmaltz, Bleackley, Sanheim, Dougherty with an outside chance of Vrana, Kempe or Ho-Sang.( though I see Vrana and Kempe going in the early to mid 20s) McCann is another player that seems to be dropping quite a bit in most mock drafts. Adam Erne comes to mind from last years draft as a player projected as a mid to late 1st round pick who dropped to the 2nd round.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZeroPT*

Who the hell cares about how many more pull-ups they did. SMH. :shakehead

83936-sarcasm-gif-sbwq.gif

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
There will be a few guys at 31 that you wont expect. Most of these mocks only have 2-4 defensemen going in the 1st round and I would be shocked if it ends up like that. There will also be a few teams that will reach on a guy that you wouldn't expect especially towards the end of the 1st (like jfb said about Jake Walman). Then there are the guys every year that are supposed to go 10-20 that fall all the way to the 2nd round. That's going to leave 3 or 4 guys at 31 that you would never expect to be there.

Also this infatuation with Demko is so confusing. I'd be a very sad panda if we took him at 31 or 39 over some of the guys who will be there, even 49 is pushing it.

I definitely agree that more d-men will be taking, and I definitely see teams taking players with a higher ceiling in the mid teens and 20's pick, leaving some players who were "first round talents" available at 31. I believe Demko is a first round talent in this draft(and I don't like taking goalie is the first round) and if available at 31 we should think about taking him. I fully trust our staff to compile a good list and if there is a player that they have ranked higher than Demko available at 31 than take him. But I personally love this kid.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
I definitely agree that more d-men will be taking, and I definitely see teams taking players with a higher ceiling in the mid teens and 20's pick, leaving some players who were "first round talents" available at 31. I believe Demko is a first round talent in this draft(and I don't like taking goalie is the first round) and if available at 31 we should think about taking him. I fully trust our staff to compile a good list and if there is a player that they have ranked higher than Demko available at 31 than take him. But I personally love this kid.

Honestly, ther are not 30 players in this draft with legitimate frist round grades. There isn't likely 20 in all actuallity. However there are 40-45 with second round grades in this below average draft year.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Honestly, ther are not 30 players in this draft with legitimate frist round grades. There isn't likely 20 in all actuallity. However there are 40-45 with second round grades in this below average draft year.

I don't agree. It isn't like last year where you had arguable 1st round players going on seemingly forever, but the 1st round is pretty much 1st round caliber all the way through. When you have a guy like Goldobin probably going in the late 20's then there's solid depth in the 1st round.

I'd say the problem is that there aren't enough guys with 2nd and 3rd round grades, according to experts -- I don't get quite deep enough to have my own opinion on that many guys. The other problem is that there's no elite #1 prospect.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
I don't agree. It isn't like last year where you had arguable 1st round players going on seemingly forever, but the 1st round is pretty much 1st round caliber all the way through. When you have a guy like Goldobin probably going in the late 20's then there's solid depth in the 1st round.

I'd say the problem is that there aren't enough guys with 2nd and 3rd round grades, according to experts -- I don't get quite deep enough to have my own opinion on that many guys. The other problem is that there's no elite #1 prospect.

we're talking to different people then.

I'm hear 1-12, not too bad
12-18 OK
18-56 good second round grades, after that the majoirty of players are more like 4th/5th round grades.

I worked for HF from 97-2001 and I talk to my contacts every year during the spring and that's all I'm hearing this year. However, opinions are different from staff to staff and that's just the way it will always be. Only time will really answer that question.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I agree that there will be more disparity in team's lists after about the top 10-12 players which will inevitably lead to variation in selections from the normalized lists generated pre-draft. It reminds me of '96 in many ways.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Got tickets to the draft on Saturday! Here's to hoping the Sabres don't package the 2nd rounders :naughty:

ZeroPT*

Bump.

Do people still want Demko at 31? his hip surgeries seem to be a pretty big deal and I only learned about them recently, he's sliding down my board to roughly the 35 are.

Thoughts?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad