Speculation: Who might be the Sabres 2nd round targets

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
95 percent of them are skinny and have holes they are 18 years old. With that said I think I see where your coming from, but I just don't see how he can be skipped over. If Murray could nab Reinhart, Barbashev, and Ho-Sang....I would be ecstatic.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
95 percent of them are skinny and have holes they are 18 years old. With that said I think I see where your coming from, but I just don't see how he can be skipped over. If Murray could nab Reinhart, Barbashev, and Ho-Sang....I would be ecstatic.

It's more than that though. He plays a very risky style, he's undersized, and who knows if his "careless attitude" is one the team wants around. Yes he has talent, but I wouldn't go out of my way to pick him.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Sure, but he's one of the skinniest of all the 1st round players. He's also pretty lousy defensively, which isn't a big concern at this stage for the type of player he is, but you have to give points to guys who aren't lousy defensively. He is a guy who up until a bit into this season just didn't properly utilize his talents to get he and his linemates playing effective hockey. He tried to do too much himself. I wasn't very high on him because of that but when I saw him later in the year he looked like it started clicking for him.

The main thing to explain your question is, if you want a dynamic offensive forward and aren't looking for size, can you really say you'd take Ho-Sang over Nylander or Ehlers? Probably not right? That basically knocks him out of the top 10 right there because many teams will be looking for something else. How about Kapenen, Fiiala, or Fabbri? You could at least make the case for taking any of them over Ho-Sang, though you could make the case for Josh as well. When you consider the depth of these 5'11"-ish skilled guys who need to add strength and round out their games, it's not hard to see why he's likely to go in the 20's. I think anywhere from the teens through the late 20's is no injustice to him. If he starts slipping through the 2nd round then I'm wondering what's up.

As to his personality, my impression is that he's a bit goofy and laid back. Just from the general impressions I have of him I could see some GM's knocking him down spots because he's not the cliche-spitting, overly serious type, and that certainly rubs some people the wrong way in the hockey world.

I would compare him in a lot of ways to Kadri.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje

Being skinny at this point shouldn't be much of an argument against. They're still teenagers and have time to bulk up. If anything, being skinny and still good could mean ability to bulk up and get even better. People be like "Bennett can't do a single chin-up, booo!" And yet he's projected to be a top 3 in the draft. Imagine that talent with more muscles.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
I don't understand how Ho-Sang isn't in the top 10 discussions, but in the early second round discussions. Only thing I could think of is he Is a complete ******* of a person.

The fear is that he is Rob Schremp all over again. All the talent but a careless, me first attitude, as well as major defensive shortcomings. You can afford to gamble on that if you have a later pick but if you burn 10th overall on him it might set the org back.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
10468635_10202076655910114_8740105462795896528_n.jpg

I want Demko just because he came up with this design for his BC set for next season and threw it on FB for feedback.

:D

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
That blocker glove set is fantastic. Not in love with the pads though.

More seriously the change of a 2nd round F making top 6 is 10%. Does anyone know the probability of a 16-30 F making top 6? If it's < 20% keep the picks.

(I realize [A or B] is (A%+B%)-AB%, but in this case you're more interested in the EV of top 6 players).

If your preferred strategy is to focus exclusively on 1st line players package the picks.

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Didn't Ho-Sang do 13 pullups at the combine though? Skinny but should grow in to that wiry strength. As for his attitude, he seems like buddies of mine who live in Kensington Market. A future possession/scoring second line of Ho-Sang, Grigo and Girgs!

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Didn't Ho-Sang do 13 pullups at the combine though? Skinny but should grow in to that wiry strength. As for his attitude, he seems like buddies of mine who live in Kensington Market. A future possession/scoring second line of Ho-Sang, Grigo and Girgs!

huuuunnnggggh 13 pullups! That's 12.5 more than bennett!!!!!!11!

Obviously Ho Sang's high pull up performance may harm his PUTDP number (Pull Up to Draft Position), whereas bennett's PUTDP will be stellar. I believe PUTDP # will be the new Corsi number and the anchor of all future advance stats!

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

His 13 were impressive, but they're much easier when you're compact and weigh 160-something pounds. I get the feeling that he might have trouble putting and keeping weight on going forward, just looking him. Seems like one of those guys who could eat a horse and not gain a pound. Just to be clear, I have come around on him in the 2nd half of the season and would be happy with him in the 20's (would still prefer Goldobin if they go that way), but I'm explaining why he's getting no attention for the top 10. Nylander has a better skillset and a better physique. Ehlers in just one CHL season has shown more quality than Ho-Sang has in his CHL career.

There's just no way a bunch of guys in that vein go in a top 10, not when you have have other talented players who have plus size. Nylander and Ehlers are easily better prospects than him, and then many other guys you could at least make the case are better.

Last edited:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
As for targets, I would be interested in Conner Bleackley, Thatcher Demko and Joshua Jacobs with our second rounders. Based on this list, however reasonable it is, it's possible.

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2014/

Man, Reinhart (2), Bleakley (31), Schmaltz (39), and Demko (49) is quite a haul. Sadly, I don't think the latter three will be available at the positions at which they were selected in that mock.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Man, Reinhart (2), Bleakley (31), Schmaltz (39), and Demko (49) is quite a haul. Sadly, I don't think the latter three will be available at the positions at which they were selected in that mock.

I think Bleackley and Schmaltz could, especially Schmaltz. Bleackley probably goes in the 20's but you never know. Demko imo should be going in the 2nd but will probably go late 1st. Fine by me, I don't want a goalie before the mid-30's.

Also, that Demko gear looks geat. BC has great uni's. Minnesota, too. Lots of good NCAA hockey jerseys really, even Notre Dame's goofy helmets look pretty cool out there imo.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I think Bleackley and Schmaltz could, especially Schmaltz. Bleackley probably goes in the 20's but you never know. Demko imo should be going in the 2nd but will probably go late 1st. Fine by me, I don't want a goalie before the mid-30's.

I think Schmaltz is going mid-20's. Perhaps as early as 21 to St. Louis in order to unite the Schmaltz brothers. He had a good season in the USHL and has had nice performances on the international stage, as well, putting in a quality performance at the Hlinka and a dominating performance at the WJAC. Bleackley could make it to 31, but I think a team will love his game and select him late in the 1st (he screams LA or Boston to me). No way Demko makes it to 49, especially if Bakes' favorite stat that a goaltender has been selected in the 1st round in every even-year draft since 1994 holds true.

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
Im almost positive Murray will package picks to move up. There are several teams without 2nd round picks (Detroit, Minnesota, Pittsburgh) who would probably like to recuperate more players over quality despite this not being considered a deep draft. 31 and 39 should be able to move up to 16-24 I think.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia

Simon in the 6th seems like a good get as well. I dunno about Schmaltz over Kempe.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If they keep 31, there will be a big debate on the night of the 27th as to who they should take. :D

Hopefully it generates some demand and if they keep it that it works out better than some former 1st pick of the second round in the team's history like Brad Miller or TJ Brennan.

With that cluster at the top of the 2nd round, they can take a higher risk player with one (or even both) if they retain 31 and 39. And with so many disperate lists, who knows who will still be there. Murray'd better keep his phone well charged for that night, he's going to be getting a lot of calls.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad