Who might be moving to Glens Falls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Springfield won't move without the league moving another team in, they have to have one in the backyard.

Syracuse isn't going anywhere right now, Dolgan is gloating about how he did such a great job getting Tampa to put a good team on the ice last year. There's some talk of a new arena.

Syracuse also draws very well averaging close to 5,200 which is 83% of capacity.

Rumblick

Nov 23, 2004
I - 78
one, it's not Allentown, it's Lehigh Valley,
The arena is in Allentown. It's the same as saying "Glens Falls" when discussing Adirondack. Deal with it.

two, Wasn't Rochester enticed when the 3 division alignment was proposed, and it was a tandem deal w/ Syracuse, to balance the NY Teams,, even if Albany and Binghamton and Syracuse remain in the East?
So 4 New York teams in the East & 1 in the West is "balance" in your mind? :D

Having spoken to people in Rochester involved with the team, the instant a viable alignment comes up that includes Rochester in with their fellow NY teams, they'll jump at it.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Rochester would kill to be in the East, and so would their fans.

You don't need 2 divisions in the East - you can go with 3. You also don't need a crossover (not sure where you got that idea). You can play with the alignment any number of ways; the schedule is tweaked to fit an individual team's needs anyway.

As we're just spitballing here, here's one way to go:
1: Charlotte - Texas - San Antonio - Abbotsford - Hamilton - Toronto
2: Chicago - Milwaukee - Grand Rapids - Lake Erie - Rockford - Iowa

3: St. John's - Portland - Manchester - Worcester - Springfield - Providence
4: Utica - Rochester - Syracuse - Albany - Adirondack - Binghamton
5) Hartford - Bridgeport - Wilkes-Barre - Allentown - Hershey - Norfolk

Can someone tell me why it is a bad idea for St.John's-Toronto-Hamilton to be in the same division?

Rumblick

Nov 23, 2004
I - 78
Can someone tell me why it is a bad idea for St.John's-Toronto-Hamilton to be in the same division?

You could go that way - go to 5-team divisions and make the East-west split 20-10. Would have to do some tweaking to figure out who goes where at that point, but it could work out.

Rum you are trying to reason with the unreasonable.

Sometimes I do it just for the entertainment value. :D

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Springfield won't move without the league moving another team in, they have to have one in the backyard.

Syracuse isn't going anywhere right now, Dolgan is gloating about how he did such a great job getting Tampa to put a good team on the ice last year. There's some talk of a new arena.

Ya never know what is going to happen. Dolgan can be gloating all he wants but before he was *****ing about losing money and his attendance still sucks.

one, it's not Allentown, it's Lehigh Valley,

two, Wasn't Rochester enticed when the 3 division alignment was proposed, and it was a tandem deal w/ Syracuse, to balance the NY Teams,, even if Albany and Binghamton and Syracuse remain in the East?

yo, THEN WHY are the Uniforms for the Phantoms state Lehigh Valley, Rumblick, it goes in line w/ the Ironpigs, just as Hershey, isn't called York or Susquehanna Bears, or some other county spec in and around HERSHEY:shakehead

Hutch - The arena will be in the city of Allentown which is located in the Lehigh Valley. The Texas Stars play in Cedar Park, Lake Erie plays in Cleveland, and Adirondak plays in Glens Falls. The WBS Penguins do not play in BOTH cities. Many times the name of the team is reflective of the area in which they play not the city in which the arena is located. There are also many times where they are named for the city in which the arena is located. :deadhorse

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
I can see the Oklahoma City Barons being the team on the move. With Edmonton buying the Bakersfield franchise in the ECHL - seems like they are getting ready to set up a Western Division of the AHL. Move the team to the East Coast to save some travel money and then in 2-3 years they go to Bakersfield.

RFA

Jan 17, 2010
OKC seems to be the general rumor. Does Edmonton still own the franchise, then the local guys listed as "owners" on the website own the management company? That seems to make the most "sense", but that doesn't mean much in the AHL. Drawback would be the distance from Edmonton to GF, but that has been worked through in the past.

Portland has been rumored as well, but I would guess that their ownership would want everyone to know where they were to use it as leverage with the officials in Maine..... Similar to how they visited Albany in 2010, no secret.

The ongoing rumor will always be Rangers, if MSG can buy/gain operating control of the arena. Moving the team out of Hartford would most likely help Springfield actual attendance/sponsorship wise also.

I wouldn't be shocked to see the Devils move to GFCC either. The TU Center has made several improvement to keep the Devils happy, and if those had been in place 10 years ago it's possible that the Rats would never have left. (Way better ice, less aggressive security, better food, cleaner building etc.) I've also heard from former Devils employees that the arena may poach advertisers from the team and offer them a different deal in the arena. There is an airport a few minutes away from the GFCC that is big enough for Lou L's plane, so don't worry about that. Devils do have an arena management company, so if they can manage the arena overall I wouldn't be surprised to see them move 51 miles up the road.

Robert Esche was quoted as saying he'd talked to seven teams about moving to Utica. The situations are very close, except if the owners can run the GFCC they might be able to make some more money on concerts, etc. Plus it's not shared with a college team. So it's possible there are six teams that could be interested in discussions at least.

Never minding the "announced" attendance, there are as many or more people in the seats in GF than in at least the bottom third of the league (maybe even half). The employees like security, concession, cleaning, etc. are paid close to half of what they get in Albany (union vs. non-union shop). Most of them do a better job in GF also, which is interesting. The crowd, overall, is quite thirsty- there are a lot of concession sold compared with other arenas. And the fans buy merchandise- they go through about eight sets of game worn jerseys a year and make some good money off them. It's the only show in town also, which is a plus. And keep in mind the team has stunk all five seasons they've been here, and the last time the Red Wings put a team that really threatened anything was 1993-94.

GareFan18

Jan 10, 2014
Kansas City
I am pretty sure that the Oilers own the AHL franchise but have local management running the day to day operations.

This is correct.

The company is called Prodigal, LLC. They do the non-hockey operations for OKC Barons. They also own the USL Pro soccer team, which is the "AAA affiliate" for Sporting KC.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
You could go that way - go to 5-team divisions and make the East-west split 20-10. Would have to do some tweaking to figure out who goes where at that point, but it could work out.

Sometimes I do it just for the entertainment value. :D

Yo,Yo,Yo.....i like being entertained.:biglaugh:

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
This is correct.

The company is called Prodigal, LLC. They do the non-hockey operations for OKC Barons. They also own the USL Pro soccer team, which is the "AAA affiliate" for Sporting KC.

So now Minor League Soccer teams need minor league affiliates? Hahaha.... :shakehead

That said, The Oil screwed up by not hiring the former Barons front office.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
So now Minor League Soccer teams need minor league affiliates? Hahaha.... :shakehead

That said, The Oil screwed up by not hiring the former Barons front office.

huh, Eddie, Prodigal owned and operated the CHL Team there, there was no Barons franchise in OKC prior to Edmonton SELECTING OKC.

the franchise was dormant until pressed by the AHL to activate it OR RISK HAVING it taken away from them, it had played in Toronto's backyard, until the Leafs moved their franchise there.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
If a team is being moved to Glen Falls would it have to have an AHL team. This is more of a general question actually but does a new team in the AHL have to have an affiliate? Or could they be a stand alone?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
If a team is being moved to Glen Falls would it have to have an AHL team. This is more of a general question actually but does a new team in the AHL have to have an affiliate? Or could they be a stand alone?

they need to have an affiliate in place or have a group buy the license.... ie Charlotte

RFA

Jan 17, 2010
GF Mayor John "Jack" Diamond told Post Star reporter that OKC is not the team he's currently negotiating with. She tweeted it.

Hopefully he wasn't talking to Portland, I personally doubt they're leaving Maine.

My top three at this point would be Springfield, Hartford or Bridgeport in no particular order- [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

fitchjr1

Dec 24, 2006
Syracuse NY
I'd have to feel that Albany might be a decent favorite to move. I know there were articles a year or so ago saying it was in the realm of possibilities.

Doesn't help that they are one of the few teams drawing worse than ADK.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
I'd have to feel that Albany might be a decent favorite to move. I know there were articles a year or so ago saying it was in the realm of possibilities.

Doesn't help that they are one of the few teams drawing worse than ADK.

The Devils have yet to care about attendance for their minor league teams. Don't see why that sentiment will change now.

Artie Fufkin

Jan 11, 2014
The Devils have yet to care about attendance for their minor league teams. Don't see why that sentiment will change now.

The Devils may be the worst affiliate possible. Knowing them, they would reuse the Albany uniforms in Adirondack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad