Who makes the team guesses.

Punxrocknyc19*

My thoughts are here at http://hfnyrangers.com/?p=91. I think that Fast and Lindberg stay instead of Asham and Mashinter on the OP's list.

im guessing Miller and Hrivik stay while Lindberg and Fast get called up by december with one of Powe or Boyle traded.... i think Boyle would get traded (more value back in a trade than Powe (speed and pk ability, not much else), Asham (due to Rangers lack of grit, smart to keep him) to make room for Lindberg once he is 100% ready....

gary laser eyes

Apr 6, 2007
Fast/Lindberg have shown flashes but need to learn the pro game. They should be playing heavy minutes in HFD.

You can tell Kreider/Miller/Hrivik have played in North America. Given the injuries to Cally/Hags, I think two of them will make it. Miller has his spot locked up and between Kreider/Hrivik it's a toss up. I'd lean towards Kreider since he has shown the propensity to score big goals.

Powe/Pyatt/Asham are essentially useless. I suppose one of them has to make it. Probably Pyatt. Powe/Asham should be traded/waived. Hopefully traded.

Mashinter is the perfect extra forward. He shouldn't be playing every game but you need some kind of enforcer type against certain teams. Then when he's sitting you don't feel like you're ruining a kid's development. The guy is a physical specimen.

When all is said and done to start the year:

Kreider - Stepan - Nash
Pouliot - Brassard - Miller
Boyle - Richards - Zucc
Pyatt - Moore - Dorsett
Mashinter

D-men and Goalies are obvious.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Really think Conor Allen played great but if he's not in the top 6--there's no point having him with us now. He'll be better off with the ice time in Hartford. Bickel might be with the big team but I don't expect he'll be playing a lot.

With Mashinter the Rangers protect the player from waivers and he's more than less a spare while Fast, Lindberg, Hrivik, Kreider get tons of AHL ice time because FWIW Mashinter is pretty much a developed player and all the rest less so. Historically the Rangers tend to be cautious and go with the veterans over the prospects.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
Pouliot - Stepan - Nash
Hrivik- Brassard - Zuke
Boyle - Richards - Miller
Asham - Moore - Dorsett
Mashinter

No Pyatt or Powe.
I was hoping that Yogan would stick, he looked pretty good, but if not him I'd rather have Hrivik than Pyatt. Besides the cap savings, I don't think Pyatt brings anything than Hrivik doesn't.

When Cally and Hagelin are back send down Miller.

Hagelin - Stepan - Nash
Pouliot- Brassard - Zuke
Hrivik - Richards - Callahan
Boyle - Moore - Dorsett
Mashinter/Asham

There is no shame in Kreider not being ready, I'd rather he plays extensively in AHL than struggle in the NHL and he is currently.

There will be a lot of growing pains learning the new system, having the kids playing extensively in Hartford will be more beneficial than struggling with the team learning new system. It's a lot easier to plug them in when the team has mastered the system.
With Lindberg, Fast, Kristo, Miller, Kreider, Yogan, Allen down in Hartford playing together we get the added bonus of them developing chemistry.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
IMO Hrivik and Miller are the two kids closest to making the team. Krieder and Boyle are both big and work the boards well, let Stepan coax some offense out of them.

Richards Miller Nash or Hrivik Richards Nash
Pouliot Brassard Zuccarello (2nd scoring line all offense, no defense)
Kreider Stepan Boyle (a 3rd line to play big minutes against the opposition's best.)
Powe Moore Dorsett (quickness, energy, and hard work)

scratches:
Pyatt and Falk

Waived:
Asham, he's too slow and the play is just leaving him behind. His "decent hands" from a tough guy isn't useful when he can't get to the other end of the rink in time.

First Call Ups
F: Lindberg, Fast
D: Allen

Number 8 is fitting for Powe. He's not big, decent set of legs, lots of energy out of a 4th liner who can kill some penalties. Let him fill the role that Asham never could.

Playing with Richards and Nash, wherever the play was, Pouliot was 2 lines away to the offensive end waiting for a pass. I seriously don't think the guy ever got closer to the defensive zone then a sticklength away from center ice.

kreider and asham. both can skate and can fit the system well

Asham can stand up and move around so yeah he can skate, although he's about as quick as a slug.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
What I want:

Kreider - Stepan - Nash
Pouliot - Brassard - Zuccarello
Pyatt - Richards - Miller
Boyle - Moore - Dorsett
Asham

What I think we'll see:

Pouliot - Stepan - Nash
Hrivik - Brassard - Zuccarello
Pyatt - Richards - Miller
Boyle - Moore - Dorsett
Asham

Falk and Bickel for extra D (Allen gets called up if a D goes down, and plays. Need him getting minutes, not just on the 'practice squad')

EDIT - Every time I do a post like this I always feel like I'm missing someone obvious - so forgive me if that's the case :)

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
To start the year:

Miller - Stepan - Nash
Boyle - Richards - Kreider
Powe - Moore - Dorsett
Mashinter

With Cally

Nash- Stepan - Callahan
Miller- Richards - Kreider
Boyle - Moore - Dorsett
Powe/Mashinter

With Hags
Hagelin- Stepan - Callahan
Miller- Richards- Nash
Boyle - Moore - Dorsett
Powe/Mashinter

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Hrivik and Miller makes it. Kreider down to AHL to develop further.

He's genuinely not ready for any type of 1st line minutes like so many want him to be.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Hrivik and Miller makes it. Kreider down to AHL to develop further.

He's genuinely not ready for any type of 1st line minutes like so many want him to be.

I agree with you, and think he should be down there until he proves he can consistently pull off those flashes shift in shift out. But with the team shorthanded to start the year, the only kid I see that earned it is Miller.

Then there is a drop off to Hrivik, Kreider and Fast and out of all of them Hrivik has been the most consistent, but also played the least with two NHL forwards, the other two got top 6 looks for good chunks of the preseason, with special teams time.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fast makes it over Kreider, actually Fast being the righty shot might be what gets him the early ice time. Richards did well centering Erikson, Neal, and Benn in Dallas, all young talented wingers, maybe it works out here.

Miller - Stepan - Nash
Boyle - Richards - Fast
Powe - Moore - Dorsett
Mashinter

With Cally

Nash- Stepan - Callahan
Miller- Richards - Fast
Boyle - Moore - Dorsett
Powe/Mashinter

With Hags
Miller- Richards- Nash
Boyle - Moore - Dorsett
Powe/Mashinter

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
With Hags
Miller- Richards- Nash
Boyle - Moore - Dorsett
Powe/Mashinter

Once Cally and Hags are back that's a pretty deep team, and without Kreider I see...

Pyatt would be there not Mashinter for me. Pyatt will probably be a starter. I'd rather not have him in though.

Last edited:

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Once Cally and Hags are back that's a pretty deep team, and without Kreider I see...

Pyatt would be there not Mashinter for me. Pyatt will probably be a starter. I'd rather not have him in though.

If Kreider shows enough want to, more effort and an acumen as to what to do; consistently, then there is no reason why he can't play over Pouliot, whose a shrinker out there... a low compete player when the going gets tough.

A third scoring line of Kreider- Brassard - Zuccarello, going up against third pair defensemen and bottom six forwards on the other team should translate to a mismatch.

There's nothing wrong with having guys like Pyatt and Pouliot fill in until they are replaced for the better internally, always good to have depth, but guys still need to fill roles. With the bottom of a lineup, it's all a matter of what you add... why are Brookbank and Bollig a part of Chicago's? They aren't everyday players but they still add value to the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad