Who makes the team> and why?

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
I do not actually have much to say..

I like the idea of Bleakley making it, but thats due to me rooting for the underdog.
Same with Hishon and Rootenen,sp?....
I honestly loved Borno, hope he recovers and makes it.

But who will stay?
Poeple keep thinking about the up and coming d men... maybe some one in the seimans Bigas crowd gets some press box first in time?

On offense I always disliked goons like Bords but if he fails to make the team does that leave Cody Mac as the lone gooner?

4th line guys are so specialized on skill teams often being a PK guy...
So, maybe the title should have been who gets cut that is a shocker?

Again I really am not at all dialed in on the trades and new guys, and drafties etc but one would think all the guys traded for make it as a show of good faith.

have some fun with this thread and make some predictions.. We can come back at mid year and see how we did?

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
FWD:
Everberg seems the only iffy one for many, I think he stays and Cliche will be gone for good to SA.
Bords will stay and Skille will not get a contract
Hishon will be a late cut and be the first call up center with Rantanen and Rendulic being first call up Wingers
Def:
Gormly Mezaros Holden will be the #6-8 with Redmond and Guenin finding their way to SA
G:
Berra will be the #2 all season even if/when Varly is injured

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I was going to make a bold predictions thread later but I guess this could do.

I've been pretty resistant to jump on the train of wishful thinking that any of the scrubs would get waived but it does seem like some real competition is being brought in so they must be open to the idea.

As far as my predictions. Both PTOs get cut. Gormley makes the team and Redmond is waived. If Winchester and Bordy are healthy enough then Everberg gets sent down. Rantanen does too but will spend a considerable amount of time with the Avs when it's all said and done. Martinsen gets a call up before Hishon. Bigras will make his NHL debut this season. Berra is the backup.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Well now that it seems like Winch is all set..yes ? am I correct in that assumption? Thats a spot that is def. taken so I cant see any of the youngins playing unless they are lights out good.
Rants, Bigras and Siems will get some long looks but all will be sent down.

Gormley could go either way. Im not sure what to make of him honestly. If he's good then keep him up
I dont have a problem with him not playing "Big Minutes" in SA like its this necessary action for him to take, he's played 140 games down there

I feel like Cliche, Guenin, and Redmond are all going to SA.
I have a funny feeling Skille will be staying.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Opening day line up, since it's easier this way

Rantanen - Duchene - Iginla
Landy - Yeti - Mack
Tangs - Grigs - Comeau
McLeod - Mitchell - Everberg
Bordeleau

Beauchemin - EJ
Zadarov - Barrie
Bigras - Stuart
Holden - Gormley

Varlomov
Berra

So, basically both Rantanen and Bigras make team. Guinen, Redmond, Cliche all to SA (really, why would anyone claim them). Skille gets an AHL deal at the end, but Mezeros is let go. Seimens impresses and is 1st in line for a call up. Hishon is waived and claimed.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Opening day line up, since it's easier this way

Rantanen - Duchene - Iginla
Landy - Yeti - Mack
Tangs - Grigs - Comeau
McLeod - Mitchell - Everberg
Bordeleau

Beauchemin - EJ
Zadarov - Barrie
Bigras - Stuart
Holden - Gormley

Varlomov
Berra

So, basically both Rantanen and Bigras make team. Guinen, Redmond, Cliche all to SA (really, why would anyone claim them). Skille gets an AHL deal at the end, but Mezeros is let go. Seimens impresses and is 1st in line for a call up. Hishon is waived and claimed.

by BUF :sarcasm:

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Rantanen- too talented and mentally and physically ready
Everberg- stays for PK if for no other reason
Winchester- yay he's healthy
Holden- versatile and better than given credit for, as long as he isn't in suck mode
Stuart- PK, experience, toughness
Gromley- will get a good look before testing waivers (won't want to lose him without knowing what we got)
Redmond- mobile right shot, will want to see how he has adjusted after basically a rookie year
Berra- will be better/more consistent, but mainly because it's better for Picks to get a lot of games in SA

Bordy- sent down to get back up to game speed, but is unfortunately never the same
Cliche- isn't needed anymore with our depth even as benchwarmer, just not talented enough to compete
Guenin- ditto
Bigras- we already have 3 new LD, but is first call up to see ice time, and never goes back
Siemens- lack of puck skills
Picks- better to get lots of games under his belt

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Rantanen, Gormley, and Skille. Bigras and Siemens will get time later on if we take some long term injuries on D. Everybody else goes back.

trip trancid

May 23, 2015
The thing I wonder more about is whether it will be purely based on performance at camp. Let's say one of the marginally talented veterans plays slightly better than a more talented prospect, who makes it? And how much worse would a prospect have to be to be sent to the AHL?

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
The thing I wonder more about is whether it will be purely based on performance at camp. Let's say one of the marginally talented veterans plays slightly better than a more talented prospect, who makes it? And how much worse would a prospect have to be to be sent to the AHL?

The vet makes it. Typically those vets are healthy scratches and I think you d rather the talented prospect get bigger minutes in the A

trip trancid

May 23, 2015
The vet makes it. Typically those vets are healthy scratches and I think you d rather the talented prospect get bigger minutes in the A

Do the bigger minutes compensate for worse coaching? I wonder to what degree they'd want to see what happens to their own prospects (not those from the current regime) under their AHL coach.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Do the bigger minutes compensate for worse coaching? I wonder to what degree they'd want to see what happens to their own prospects (not those from the current regime) under their AHL coach.

I think so. I mean yeah sure you can have a bad coach, but at the end of the day the play speaks for itself. If player A is getting 20 min a night and is doing jack you cant put that all on the coach.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
They don't see it that way, if they thought Dean was a poor development coach they would have canned him. Now that their draft picks are starting to play there I do think they will be much more mindful of what's going on down there. If they feel Bigras isn't developing then they aren't going to be so quick to blame the talent. But for now they don't see it as going to a worse environment. Now I say there's no substitute for NHL experience but a bunch of things have to be taken into consideration, like agent said the role and minutes they'd be getting. I don't think the Avs worry as much about one way/two way money but I do think waivers comes into pay. And I agree the prospect can't just be a little bit better, they have to be clearly better and good enough to be a top 6D/top 9F at least.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
TOR is an interesting situation because while most teams in the past would have gone full on youth and given a guy like Nylander a spot, they have brought in a bunch of PTOs. So he either has to outright beat them for a job or go down, no gimmes.

I think most of us here would agree that Bigras has more talent than say Holden but he needs to be wayyy better in all facets
to beat him out. He cant just show some fancy skating and boom a job, his victory needs to be absolute.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
seems with the help we added this off season d is not as huge a crises and maybe that affets Bigras and seimans giving them one more developmental year..
Same with Gromley although he may stay up...
on O we have some talant in Bleakley hishon and Rat-i-man that willb e judged nhl worthy or no... all top six guys or trade bate, wiht it seeming that barring a steller camp Hishon goes, Bleakley stays in minors and new guy Rat-i-MAn gets first call up or press box split time.. we will have games missed by the current top six guys, so
I certainly see him having nhl time unless he fails camp...
BUT
we will see...

and then again there is Borna, is he a future top six guy? this guy really impressed me with his skillset before he was hurt..

Last edited:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I hope Everberg makes it. I think Avs need smarts and PK ability on the bottom six.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
Bordeleau, Cliche for sure. Probably McLeod but that's never going to happen.

we think alike..
Bords must be replaced with a good unless u put mac there in the enforcer role... so if we could loose cliche and guinin I think its a moral victory out of the gate.. too bad we cannot trade them for some retired player.. lol

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Hopefully they give it to the straight up best players. If Gormley/Grigorenko are even or slightly below some others they should keep them so they don't lose them through waivers but when it comes to the others I hope they just give the spots to the guys who truly deserve it based on their camp. Even a guy like Bleackley.

Forward Locks: Duchene, Landeskog, Mackinnon, Iginla, Tanguay, Soderberg, Comeau, Mitchell, McLeod.
Defense Locks: EJ, Barrie, Beauchemin.

Forwards who are fighting: Everberg, Rantanen, Grigorenko, Bordeleau, Cliche, Winchester, Bleackley, Hishon, Smith, Martinsen, Hamilton, Skille, Rendulic.

Defense who are fighting: Siemens, Bigras, Redmond, Stuart, Holden, Guenin, Geertsen, Gormley, Meszaros, Noreau, Zadorov.

By the sounds of things Zadorov and Grigorenko look great and there's no doubt that they will be there. There's also no chance Brad Stuart doesn't make the team. This isn't the way cuts will go but it is just the way I wish they did things. Don't do anyone any favors. Work your ass off, make an impression and make the team.

My early prediction for opening night roster:

Tanguay Duchene Iginla
Landy Soderberg Mackinnon
Mitchell Grigorenko Comeau
McLeod Winchester Skille

Beauchemin EJ
Zadorov Barrie
Holden Stuart

Varlamov
Berra

Scratches: Redmond, Gormley, Bordeleau.

trip trancid

May 23, 2015
They don't see it that way, if they thought Dean was a poor development coach they would have canned him. Now that their draft picks are starting to play there I do think they will be much more mindful of what's going on down there. If they feel Bigras isn't developing then they aren't going to be so quick to blame the talent. But for now they don't see it as going to a worse environment. Now I say there's no substitute for NHL experience but a bunch of things have to be taken into consideration, like agent said the role and minutes they'd be getting. I don't think the Avs worry as much about one way/two way money but I do think waivers comes into pay. And I agree the prospect can't just be a little bit better, they have to be clearly better and good enough to be a top 6D/top 9F at least.

I agree with most all of that. But I'm not sure they're sold on Dean. The apparent lack of interest in many of Pracey's guys and the departure of indicates they're attentive to drafting and development. But to this point, it's being put on Pracey's more than Dean. Perhaps it's completely fair. But like you said, if this regimes prospects don't develop, the ice could quickly become thin. If that were to happen,no one could say they weren't fair to Dean.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I guess it could really come down to how well Bigras develops. I think RoyKic know they have a decent player that just needs some PT. If say next year he hasnt come along and improved in the areas they need him to be better at then its possible they give Dean a mega stank side eye glance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad