Post-Game Talk (GBU): Who let the Ducks out?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
We don't have a line that can match up against lines like that.

I can only assume Foligno was matched against Getzlaf because of his size.

It's probably the reason why they weren't benched because even Rolston knows it isn't fair.

If thats the case then Rolston is an even bigger idiot than I thought.

You put your best defensive center out against the other team's top offensive center. Not a winger because they are big.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
If thats the case then Rolston is an even bigger idiot than I thought.

You put your best defensive center out against the other team's top offensive center. Not a winger because they are big.

We don't have any.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I dont know what else you would do. The MEH line is a second line and Grigs/Larsson/Flynn is a fine 3rd line but there is no one who can play the first line. We are screwed in this aspect for the rest of the season.

No we're not if we had a coach with a clue. All game you get at least one of the Larsson line or the Myers/Tallinder pairing (preferably both) out against that line. Myers/Tallinder is in place of the better option Hoff/Pysyk due to Hoff's injury. But Rolston doesn't even attempt to do any of this type of stuff. Its like watching a peewee hockey coach the way he works the lines.

Those folks may not have stopped them but they are the types of players that should be out against them not the combos Rolston used.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
We don't have any.

Actually we do.

We have one on the roster (Larsson) and one in the minors (Porter).

Or has everyone forgotten the Ott/Porter/Flynn line and the success they had at the tail end of last year as a stabilizing defensive force for us.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
No we're not if we had a coach with a clue. All game you get at least one of the Larsson line or Myers/Tallinder (preferably both) out against that line. Myers/Tallinder is in place of the better option Hoff/Pysyk due to Hoff's injury. But Rolston doesn't even attempt to do any of this type of stuff. Its like watching a peewee hockey coach the way he works the lines.

Those folks may not have stopped them but they are the types of players that should be out against them not the combos Rolston used.

OK, so assume we do that and Larsson and Myers are out against the Ducks top line.Lets play make believe and the Ducks only get a goal when matched. MEH plays against who? What about Ott/Foligno? One of those lines is going to get eaten up by Selane and the other by Winnik\Cogliano. Plus the Ducks can shut down MEH. The final score is 2-0 or 3-1 as compared to 6-2. We are seriously lacking talent on this team and help aint coming this season.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Actually we do.

We have one on the roster (Larsson) and one in the minors (Porter).

Or has everyone forgotten the Ott/Porter/Flynn line and the success they had at the tail end of last year as a stabilizing defensive force for us.

I must of forgotten.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
OK, so assume we do that and Larsson and Myers are out against the Ducks top line.Lets play make believe and the Ducks only get a goal when matched. MEH plays against who? What about Ott/Foligno? One of those lines is going to get eaten up by Selane and the other by Winnik\Cogliano. Plus the Ducks can shut down MEH. The final score is 2-0 or 3-1 as compared to 6-2. We are seriously lacking talent on this team and help aint coming this season.

Who said otherwise?

I'm talking about properly developing players. Part of that is putting them is situations that fit their skill sets.

I think posters have forgotten that Foligno is only 22 and has yet to play 82gms in the NHL yet. he needs to be developed as a player as much as any of the other youngsters.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Who said otherwise?

Nobody did which I guess is my point. We don't have the talent to match lines. Given the current roster somewhere we are going to be over matched. Tonight it was both Ott/getting scored on and MEH/being properly checked. I think we are arguing the same point from different ends. It's late and I'm calling it a night.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Nobody did which I guess is my point. We don't have the talent to match lines. Given the current roster somewhere we are going to be over matched. Tonight it was both Ott/getting scored on and MEH/being properly checked. I think we are arguing the same point from different ends. It's late and I'm calling it a night.

You're sort of missing my point. If this season is about developing the young guys towards their eventual role on the team. Then why isn't Larsson, the guy who projects out as a 2nd/3rd line two way/defensive center, why isn't he being used against Getzlaf? As opposed to Foligno who is a winger playing center and projects out to be a 2nd/3rd line two way winger. Foligno is only 22 and has only 76 NHL games under his belt. he's still a young player thats needs a lot of work on his own game. He should be on the wing working on it not getting overwhelmed at center. If anything it would make more sense to put them together as part of a defensive line.

I could understand if they wanted to shield Larsson a bit in his rookie year by using someone else with more experience as the primary defensive center. But shielding the 21 year old Larsson with the 22 year old Foligno who isn't even a center makes absolutely no sense at all.

EDIT: you could apply some of this to Girgs as well. He is a highly touted center prospect. Why not try him at center before trying to covert Foligno.

and I'm taking your cue and calling it a night myself.

Last edited:

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
g- grigs !! time to waive hodgson

b- hodgson and overall defense of team

u- sabres just looked unskilled outside of a few guys

got to say, moulson is working hard, been impressed so far.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
You're sort of missing my point. If this season is about developing the young guys towards their eventual role on the team. Then why isn't Larsson, the guy who projects out as a 2nd/3rd line two way/defensive center, why isn't he being used against Getzlaf? As opposed to Foligno who is a winger playing center and projects out to be a 2nd/3rd line two way winger. Foligno is only 22 and has only 76 NHL games under his belt. he's still a young player thats needs a lot of work on his own game. He should be on the wing working on it not getting overwhelmed at center. If anything it would make more sense to put them together as part of a defensive line.

I could understand if they wanted to shield Larsson a bit in his rookie year by using someone else with more experience as the primary defensive center. But shielding the 21 year old Larsson with the 22 year old Foligno who isn't even a center makes absolutely no sense at all.

EDIT: you could apply some of this to Girgs as well. He is a highly touted center prospect. Why not try him at center before trying to covert Foligno.

and I'm taking your cue and calling it a night myself.

jj maaad at old Ron!

Can't fault you though, everything you say is valid, especially the Larsson and Foligno bits.
People forget Foligno is still a developing player.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I actually hit it at the buzzer.

You know there's a GBU thread prefix, right? It's not part of the title.

I've never seen someone try so hard to start a thread. It's the second most annoying thing on our boards. Let Chainshot set them up please.

Rolston is a ****ing trainwreck cork soaking :eek::eek::eek::eek:rag dick****suckshmuck troll labia numbnuts idiotic pair of fecal cheeks. WHAT THE ****ING **** ARE YOU TELLING THIS TEAM IN THE ROOM?

Who THE **** DO YOU THINK YOU ARE THAT YOU CAN TELL THE PLAYERS NOT TO HOLD AN INTERMISSION INTERVIEW? SHELTERING PLAYERS PLAYING THE BEST? THE ****ING "PRAHCESS????" You have no pull. You have no respect. Stop trying to be different. Stop trying to go against the grain. Stop cutting reporters' questions off. Stop with the water. Take your glasses off. Mess up your hair. Put some bass in your voice. AND DO SOMETHING POSITIVE.

This guy has no respect and we will stall and stall with him at the helm. Get these transaction fees out of my kitchen.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Why is Ott being relied on? Why isn't Larsson? Why is Foligno at center? Why is our top line not being thrown at the opponents' third when we clearly have spots to do so? Why wasn't miller spared some face after the fourth goal? Fifth? Stupid piece of crap.

Last edited:

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Unfortunately, I attended this train wreck of a game. I don't really feel like doing an analysis right now, but I will leave you with 2 gems seen at the game (unfortunately, I didn't get pictures):

1. A guy wearing a green Ducks jersey with the name "BOMBAY" on the back

and even better:

2. A guy wearing a really nice Vanek jersey, except he covered the name plate with duck tape and wrote "WE SUCK"

how true.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Our Rolston SlurpSwish of the game:

Kumpeet levul clearly leads to more ice time!

Cody McCormick - 12:24
Steve Ott - 20:08

Grigorenko: 12:08
Stafford: 20:09

I know you made your manly, "I'm the coach" statement by benching the Ennis line the last 5 minutes of the second and in the third period (for the whole period).... but McCormick deserved a lot more ice time than he got.

Rolston.... brutal. ****ing brutal.

Last edited:

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Just thought I'd drop in and say I liked the look of Zadorov(?). He's still very raw and needs more development time (AHL/CHL?), but he really does have the tools to become a very good dman, decent skater, seemed happy to join the rush at times, physical player. Little bit lost in his own zone at times, but he seemed to see a lot of time against our big line, so no shame in that (and I'm sure that defensive game will improve in time). I was scared for Anaheim players whenever he went near them for a check to be honest.

Good luck for the rest of the season guys, hope you can pick it up a bit, you guys deserve to see more heart from your team out there.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Just thought I'd drop in and say I liked the look of Zadorov(?). He's still very raw and needs more development time (AHL/CHL?), but he really does have the tools to become a very good dman, decent skater, seemed happy to join the rush at times, physical player. Little bit lost in his own zone at times, but he seemed to see a lot of time against our big line, so no shame in that (and I'm sure that defensive game will improve in time). I was scared for Anaheim players whenever he went near them for a check to be honest.

Good luck for the rest of the season guys, hope you can pick it up a bit, you guys deserve to see more heart from your team out there.

He played 20:15!

Risto: 19:35
Myers: 19:21
McBain: 19:09
Pysyk: 21:49
Tallinder: 19:51

Weird with no Ehrhoff.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Rolston postgame:

How do you get that message across to them?

"Atsa good question"

He says with confidence "we will bounce back from this, for sure" or something to that effect. That's a coach who knows his days are numbered. Anyone who knows they have time would say "we need to practice and get better and have a lot of work to do, wont win like that" etc ... You can't say with confidence we will bounce back after watching this team play it's 19 games. You say that if you know you're in trouble.

Later:

"I knew it was going to take a while to figure out how we want to play and get the identity we want to have, and we just don't have it right now"

What identity are we trying to get to? That part is absent to all who watch. Do the players know what identity they're to strive for?

This mother****er didn't let one single question get finished before beginning his terse response to it. He cut off every question just a bit. Every one. Sense of entitlement obvs. And he's right. He's entitled to do what he wants.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
G
-Grigs. Goals. Get it, Russky.
-Zadorov's big hits
-McCormick. I haven't give him his dues yet for how well he's bounced back this season, so I'm doing it here.
-Overall physicality (nice hits from Tropp and Foligno as well)
-The tank, I guess. Is going well.

B
-All of the things
-Also Steve Ott

U
-Our PK is basically just a goal give-away for the other team. The question is who will score, not if they will.
-Getzlaf's bald spot

Latex*

Didn't watch the game, only the highlights, but what's up with Ristolainen?

He's a great skater(and has always been great. Great pivoting, good glide, and good straight line speed) but in the highlights he looks like a snail on skates at times. There must be something wrong..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad