Line Combos: Who is your starting line up opening night?

unifiedtheory

Twitter: @ut_pez
Jun 18, 2007
Burnaby, B.C.
Is there a CHANCE that Hamilton gets left in Junior so we don't burn a year of his contract and his term on a half season or does he get the 8-9 game deal (don't know the exact length) and if he fits in he stays regardless.

DAMN IS IT NICE TO BE TALKING ABOUT LINES AND COMBOS AGAIN!!!

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Here's some food for thought-

How about Wade Redden? In all likelihood, he's getting a buyout. His best years came while he was playing with Chara, and I take a veteran NHL defenseman who was, once upon a time, chosen over Chara over Krug/Johnson.

I'd take a gamble @ <800k

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Yeah, true. Crazy how much he's grown. I LOVE THAT I AM NOW DISCUSSING LINE COMBOS FOR A TEAM THAT WILL BE PLAYING GAMES WITHIN TWO WEEKS!

Me too!

That's why you put the rookies w/ Z. It allows you to give them a chance without compromising the line. Plus Z makes everyone better:)

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
Is there a CHANCE that Hamilton gets left in Junior so we don't burn a year of his contract and his term on a half season or does he get the 8-9 game deal (don't know the exact length) and if he fits in he stays regardless.

DAMN IS IT NICE TO BE TALKING ABOUT LINES AND COMBOS AGAIN!!!

Both Bob Mackenzie and Kirk agree that Hamilton will start the season with the Bruins. There will be a deadline where the Bruins have to return him to juniors but I don't think anyone knows how many games that will be yet.. or if Hamilton will be returned. That probably depends entirely on his acclimation.

But could also see him stay up a la Seguin since Hamilton can't exactly learn much else in Junior at this stage.

unifiedtheory

Twitter: @ut_pez
Jun 18, 2007
Burnaby, B.C.
Here's some food for thought-

How about Wade Redden? In all likelihood, he's getting a buyout. His best years came while he was playing with Chara, and I take a veteran NHL defenseman who was, once upon a time, chosen over Chara over Krug/Johnson.
I don't know if Redden gets the buyout this year. I think the two "free buy outs" are in this upcoming offseason. I think the Rangers bury him in the minors again and buy him out in the offseason.

MVP36

Dec 2, 2012
Massachusetts
Lucic-Krejci-Horton
Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin
Bourque-Kelly-Peverley
Paille-Campbell-Thornton

Chara-Boychuk
Seidenberg-Hamilton
Ference-Johnson

Rask
Khudobin

BTW, when McQuaid does come back...does he go with Seidenberg on the 2nd pair, or with Ference on the 3rd?
Can't help but think it's best for Hamilton to get 2nd pair minutes and have the benefit of playing with Seidenberg...thoughts?

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
I don't know if Redden gets the buyout this year. I think the two "free buy outs" are in this upcoming offseason. I think the Rangers bury him in the minors again and buy him out in the offseason.

Chiarelli was in Ottawa when all the Redden crap was going on, he won't go anywhere near him, trust me. For those people advocating Redden, check out some recent film on the guy, he is terrible, very slow, physically weak, low compete level, weak shot, etc. We have a number of prospects who I would take ahead of Redden, at least most of them can skate and compete hard.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
BTW, when McQuaid does come back...does he go with Seidenberg on the 2nd pair, or with Ference on the 3rd?
Can't help but think it's best for Hamilton to get 2nd pair minutes and have the benefit of playing with Seidenberg...thoughts?

I think most people would agree that Hamilton should be paired with one of the top guys to start. If he really struggles, Ference should move up. McQuaid is a viable option on the third pairing but nothing more. Ference can actually legitimately fill in in a top 4 role; I don't think McQuaid can be relied on much for that.

ElkabombKid9

May 18, 2007
Boston
This is probably a little ot, but the one silver lining to the lockout was I got to watch a decent amount of Jr hockey on NHL network. I saw quite a bit of Seth Griffith was pretty surprised and liked what I saw. I know he was a 5th round pick. Anyone think he will get a shot here probably a 3rd liner in the next few years? I think he's like 20?

jmeehan1985

Jan 3, 2012
Don't you guys think with a possible 50 game season that it will actually help out Hamilton more because it isn't as many games. I think they keep him up all year and the Bruins will use him a lot more then people think. I bet he shines in Boston this year with rookie of the year votes.

Kelly23

Pedroia and Drew
Nov 4, 2010
Boston
Don't you guys think with a possible 50 game season that it will actually help out Hamilton more because it isn't as many games. I think they keep him up all year and the Bruins will use him a lot more then people think. I bet he shines in Boston this year with rookie of the year votes.

I think he has a good chance because the rookies this year will have 30 less games to make thier point totals seem really good ie 60 points in 82 games looks better than 31 points, and if Dougie adds 10-15 points he could be a lock.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012

Less games means each game is more important. I think they'll be much less likely to give him good opportunities than in a longer season.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I think a compressed schedule hurts his ice time and growth.
I think he would be better off with more practice time and adjustment to pro game.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
aaronward_nhl: Told NHLPA plan is to get CBA deal in summary form into the hands of the membership in the next 24 hrs. #TSN

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
I would think Aaron Johnson has a role somewhere. Maybe not as a starting top-6 defenseman, but he's probably a more likely candidate for the 7th spot than Krug.

Many posters seem to have forgotten that the Bruins brought Aaron Johnson in as a veteran defenseman. I imagine he will be in the top 6 with McQuaid not ready to play.

Here is Johnson's roster profile: http://bruins.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8469534

Chara - Boychuk
Johnson - Seidenberg
Ference - Hamilton

Candidates for the #7 spot (or top 6 if Hamilton isn't ready) include:

Exelby
Bartkowski/Miller
Krug/Warsofsky

Last edited:

774EVER

& Now 374EVER
What is McQuaid's timeline again?

Also I hope this opens a bigger door for Dougie. If he can take on some of McQuaid's defensive responsibilities (PK and such) I think that this will go a long way to moulding Dougie into the all-around d-man that we all want him to become.

Also, anyone else thinking that Khudobin might impress out of the gate allowing CJ to go with more of a 50/50 split between him and Rask ala St. Louis last year.

Last edited:

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Only Q's really are that ever elusive 3LW and 6/7 D. With Hamilton likely to stick, Johnson will be the other guy around ... can't see Krug sticking unless McQuaid is out for longer than expected. If they do need another body on the back end Krug/Bartkowski seem the most likely candidates but I'd wager when all healthy neither are on the big team.

Bourque and Tardif probably both have legit shots at that 3LW spot with Sauve being a bit of a darkhorse. I assume Caron is a roster lock when he's healthy whether he gets the spot or is a 13th forward. I doubt any of the other kids (Knight, Spooner, etc) make the cut.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin
Looch-Krejci-Horton
Kelly-Peverley-Bourque
Paille-Campbell- Thornton

Chara-Boychuk
Seidenburg- Hamilton
Ference- McQuaid
Krug

or this

Chara- Hamilton
Seidenburg - Krug
Ference- Boychuk

Last I read was Horton would be good to go. Does anyone have an official word on quaider?

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
With McQuaid injured, Hamilton still a question-mark and taking into account Chiarelli's history of acquiring defensive depth - does anyone think the Bruins might sign a veteran UFA like Kent Huskins or Kurtis Foster? I assume that either one of them would sign a one-year low $ contract.

I haven't seen much of Johnson, do you think he will fulfill the #7 D spot adequately?

Forgive me if this is way off-base, I haven't used the NHL hockey part of my brain in quite some time. :)

McBrom7

FIRE IT UP!!
Jun 26, 2012
Lucic Krejci Horton
Seguin Bergeron Marchand
Peverly Kelley Bourque
Thorton Campbell Paille

Chara Hamilton
Seidenberg Boychuk
Ference Johnson

Aaron Johnson makes the opening night roster over Torey Krug and until Darth Quaider is ready for his return. Hamilton gets thrown right into the mix and paired with Chara. If that doesn't work out, put Seidenberg up with Chara and Hamilton with Boychuk. Growing pains are expected and I think Chara can help with that the most.

Chris Bourque one of our leading scorers in Providence so I don't see why he shouldn't atleast get another shot, regardless of his past.

Great lineup, hopefully we can make it work with the new second year cap. Feedback always accepted. GO BRUINS!! :yo:

member 96824

Hamilton-Boychuk would be similar to Wideman-Hunwick at the moment.

I love Boychuk...but hes not a good decision maker...and Hamilton is obviously so raw.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
When the B's had kaberle and corvo, during the regular season it was seidenberg burdened with the responsibility of baby sitting their limited defensive abilities. I would expect Hamilton to follow the same road and be paired with seids

deliciouspie

the best post »»»»»
Oct 22, 2008
sf, austin, here
if the bruins are dressing
Swedish-chef.jpg
on the third line, the following applies:

1) the bruins are in for a rough season, because that's a black hole line, and the whole reason the bruins offense works is because they effectively roll two mediocre first lines and a second line, not two mediocre firsts and a crap third
2) i am going to post nothing but swedish chef memes for the remainder of gdts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad