Who is your favorite defenseman on the Canucks?

Apple Juice

Oct 13, 2008
Vancouver
Alex Edler. Been a big fan of him since 07-08 season when people gave me weird looks about wearing an Edler jersey and kept getting hacked at for supporting Edler

CookieCrumbs*

Ballard. The guy actually shows some emotion and will stick up for our players without hesitation.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Mike Dunsmore (thinking Bieksa was Kesler): What's your nickname? Is it Kes? Is it Kesser? What's your nickname, Ryan?
Bieksa: Guzzler.

malcolmedge

May 4, 2010
Vancouver
Ballard. The guy actually shows some emotion and will stick up for our players without hesitation.

He also has so much class. Look at all the crap this team and fans have put him through. He keeps on playing his game and has been the Canucks most consistent Dman along with Tanev.

Edler tries way too hard to be Karlsson, he just cant make the plays Karlsson does.

Bieksa...well what every other teams fans say I agree with. I refuse to celebrate when he scores...

Garrison I havent formed a love/hate opinion on yet.

Hamhuis is the best baby sitter ever. Seriously looks after Bieksa and Edler all the time.

Tanev looking awesome paired with Ballard.

Steve Bennett*

Alex Edler. Been a big fan of him since 07-08 season when people gave me weird looks about wearing an Edler jersey and kept getting hacked at for supporting Edler

Yeah me too, I swear. And I was a Bure fan before he moved to North America... And an Ebbett fan before his stardom...

Maccas

Aug 26, 2010
England
Tanev.
I used to love watching a guy play over in the UK called Dwayne Newman (played for the Wheat Kings before he came over here). He played a very similar style to what Tanev does, he never put up much in the way of numbers but was just so solid in his own zone and one of those guys who was just so easy to like. I see a lot of him in Tanev's play and its somewhat how I have modelled my own play. I'll never be big enough to be a big hitter and I won't have the shot/skating ability to be a great offensive D-man. Tanev shows that with just a bit of brains and hard work you can still make a difference out there.
I quite like Ballard for how he has handled all the troubles that he has had since joining the Canucks and if he can continue his good form then I see no reason why we'd need to move him on.

TheLastSedin

Sep 18, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
:yo: Ballard easily the best personality on the team and is proving his worth this season. He has taken so much **** from coaching and the media over his tenure in Vancouver. This season he is healthy, solid, and every time there's a odd man break I look forward to a devastating hipcheck. He also bails out Chris Tanev (my other favourite) when he gets jittery. Will stick up for teammates and show the fans, players, and refs some emotion when playing.

Normally I'd pick Edler, but he just isn't making good decisions on the ice this season. I've yet to see any fire in his game and while I fully expect him to be our number, I can't see it happening until he wakes up from his 2013 nap.

I just detest Bieksa's mug after he scores. It just doesn't make up for how often he misplays or bobbles the puck. Hammer can't shine because he is too busy baby sitting. He is hilarious in interview though, that AV accent when calling in sick. Golden.

11:39

Garrison has yet to prove he is worth what we pay him. This can be attributed to Edler's struggle to give him the Puck. I see him make mistakes, but new team, new systems, i'll cut some slack.

Tanev is a defensive boy wonder, but is an offensive blackhole (up until last game vs oilers). Likable through the media, seems like a kid quiet trying to find his own way.

Hammer, like said before is a baby sitter. I like his play, but I can't help but feel bad for him on odd man rushes. Another likable guy, but again is thwarted offensively. Is it just me or the guy never smiles? maybe its because that darn beessssskkaaa!!!

Salo and Mitchell - :cry:

Last edited:

Pseudonymous*

No question Hamhuis. I love guys who bring it every night

BrockH

Nov 12, 2008
Toronto, ON
It said favourite, not best or most valuable. I voted Edler for the same reason I would've voted Jovo back in the day. Exciting big plays. Bieksa's up there too, but for me it's Edler first.

Last edited:

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Bieksa - you can criticize him for mistakes or whatever, but he lays it out there pretty much every game. The last defenseman we had to played with that kind of passion was probably Special Ed.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Put me down for Bieksa too. When the team needs a big goal it seems like he and Burrows are the guys who always step up. There is no way I'd say he's the best but he's definitely my favourite as he has a wicked sense of humour and is the guy who steps in to challenge players on the other team. Plus he's never boring to watch defensively although Edler is starting to challenge him for defensive excitement lately. :)

HAMMY5

Jan 22, 2013
Abbotsford BC
We should have an Offensive Favorite and Defensive Favorite.

Edler for his Offensive Game.

Hamhuis for his Defensive Game.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Edler i love, but he drives me crazy at times... Like Bertuzzi used to do to me when he would either dominate OR play a game riddled with offsides and PIMs...

So overall i'm leaning Hamhuis.. his play will keep me calm and happy. (despite his start this season... it's definitely coming around).

And along the same playing style... Chris Tanev has a style i love, and could see easily becoming my favorite it if continues. He's likable on the ice, great story, team loves him.... but then i heard him interview... heh heh.

Bieksa and Edler both do things that make my blood pressure rise much more than it needs to despite everything else i love about them.

So on ice - Hamhuis
Off ice - Bieksa by a mile.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Bieksa - you can criticize him for mistakes or whatever, but he lays it out there pretty much every game. The last defenseman we had to played with that kind of passion was probably Special Ed.
Ohlund was hardly "Mr Roboto"....

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada
I like them all, really I like everyone on the team.

I find myself cheering for Ballard. I like Edler and Bieksa, especually the latter's personality on and off the ice, but they both leave me with epsiodes of high stress.

25Bieksa3

Apr 28, 2009
Vancouver

Agree with this 100%, and they both suffer from the same deficiencies in their game. However, those guys show real passion, and I just love KB3 for that. Though, Tanev is close to unseatting him - that guy is growing on me this year.

arsmaster*

Put me down for Bieksa too. When the team needs a big goal it seems like he and Burrows are the guys who always step up. There is no way I'd say he's the best but he's definitely my favourite as he has a wicked sense of humour and is the guy who steps in to challenge players on the other team. Plus he's never boring to watch defensively although Edler is starting to challenge him for defensive excitement lately. :)

I voted for Bieksa too.

He's the voice of the team, when he's playing at his best, generally the team follows. Plays mean, is tough, puts up points, doesn't take **** from anybody.

I don't understand how he isn't liked more here...yeah sometimes he's a bit too casual, but when he isn't he is the teams best defensman.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
I like Hamhuis' game the best. I'm stoked about Tanev's potential.

But Bieksa is my favorite, and by a good long shot too. Oozes personality. Passionate guy. Hilarious interview. He's actually up there amongst my all time favorite Canucks.

Apple Juice

Oct 13, 2008
Vancouver
Was I the only Canucks fan that didn't mind Aaron Rome? I actually liked having Rome as a 6th defenceman but some odd reason, the fans hate him.

Steve Bennett*

I liked the Romer, he was generally reliable and tough as nails... And the d is definitely not as tough with him gone...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad