Boston Bruins Who is your favorite all time Bruins’ coach?

Who is your favorite Bruins’ coach?

• Jim Montgomery

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bruce Cassidy

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Claude Julien

Votes: 48 56.5%
  • Dave Lewis

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Mike Sullivan

• Robby Ftorek

• Mike Keenan

• Pat Burns

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Steve Kasper

• Brian Sutter

• Rick Bowness

• Mike Milbury

• Terry O’Reilly

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Butch Goring

• Gerry Cheevers

• Don Cherry

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • Harry Sinden

• Other

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
With Bruce Cassidy returning to town with a Stanley Cup ring, seems like a fun topic to discuss.

Favorite, not necessarily greatest.

There have been many during my lifetime and many more before it, so I’m including the major names from the past 55 years and we can have an “other” category consisting of those I left off.

Reactions: TP70BruinsCup

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I've only been watching since 1995 so I can't really speak for anything prior to that.

Gotta go with Clode just for the cup, even though he could be stubborn and instituted a defensive style of hockey that wasn't as fun to watch when they weren't going well.

Pat Burns with an honorable mention because he's really the guy who brought a sense of stability and gravitas to the organization after going through a lot of coaches in the 90s.

I did like Bruce but with everything that came out in his departure I suppose it was time. And until the Bruins win a cup I'm never trusting Monty after he blew last playoffs.

My crazy hot take here: Mike Keenan had that 2001 team going in the right direction, and he was the best coach Joe Thornton ever had. If that roster wasn't injured to the point where they were dressing goalies off the street or if they made the coaching change 2 weeks earlier, that team makes the playoffs and makes some noise in the playoffs. I'll always feel that way.

Reactions: Gordoff

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Claude Julien is going to win this poll by a landslide.

He's my favorite Bruins coach of all-time. But I can't comment on anyone prior to 1990 as I didn't follow the team then. The fact that the culture of defensive accountability he instilled (along with help from Mr. Chara and Mr. Bergeron among others) is still at the foundation of what they do today speaks volumes.

If I were to make some honorable mentions, I always got a kick of of Brian Sutter when he would get angry. If there was one Sutter I wouldn't want to mess with, it was Brian.

Speaking of coaches I wouldn't mess with, Pat Burns did a heck of a job here bouncing back from a complete meltdown in 1996-97 under Kasper.

Never coached the Boston Bruins, but I always wonder how things turn out if they promoted Laviolette from Providence instead of bringing in Ftorek.

He went on to success, but I couldn't stand Mike Sullivan as Bruins coach and still don't like him.

Reactions: BMC and weaponomega

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Dave Lewis' Moustache

batman.gif

• Haha
Reactions: BMC and JCRO

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
In my lifetime there are more, but those that coached when I started following the team are Sully, Lewis, Clode, Cassidy and Monty.

I have to go with Clode. I know his system wasnt the most fun system to watch, but damn was it effective. Also, the team toughness helped with the fun factor in place of scoring goals lol.

A Clode team going into a third period up 2-0 wasnt going to lose. They'd lock it down. I was always so impressed with that and thats what sticks out the most in comparing him to the others I have seen in my time following this team.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Claude Julien is going to win this poll by a landslide.

He's my favorite Bruins coach of all-time. But I can't comment on anyone prior to 1990 as I didn't follow the team then. The fact that the culture of defensive accountability he instilled (along with help from Mr. Chara and Mr. Bergeron among others) is still at the foundation of what they do today speaks volumes.

If I were to make some honorable mentions, I always got a kick of of Brian Sutter when he would get angry. If there was one Sutter I wouldn't want to mess with, it was Brian.

Speaking of coaches I wouldn't mess with, Pat Burns did a heck of a job here bouncing back from a complete meltdown in 1996-97 under Kasper.

Never coached the Boston Bruins, but I always wonder how things turn out if they promoted Laviolette from Providence instead of bringing in Ftorek.

He went on to success, but I couldn't stand Mike Sullivan as Bruins coach and still don't like him.
Hiring Ftorek was a massive mistake and isn't given a big enough space in the narrative that was the mess that was the early 2000s Bruins.

As already mentioned in my previous post, Mike Keenan had Joe Thornton actually moving his feet and busting his ass in 2000-2001, which resulted in a career high in goals. He was on the path to reaching his potential as a net-crashing power forward. Keenan's hardass act has always broken down and pissed off Stars after 1 to 2 seasons everywhere he went, so maybe MOC/Sinden made the right call in cutting bait before things hit the fan, but passing up Laviolette (another demanding motivational coach) and going to a twice-failed country club players' coach in Ftorek was the start of Joe Thornton's slide into becoming a pass-first perimeter player.

I also think that they gave Sullivan the job a year or two too early as a direct panic response to the success Laviolette had on Long Island after they neglected to promote him from Providence. Sully was correctly considered to be a strong future coach and was being groomed for it, but barely had a half season of AHL head coaching on his resume when he was named Boston coach, and I believe he got run over by that clique of Thornton/Boynton and their friends because he hasn't found his authoritative voice yet.

It's all butterfly effect stuff though, hard to say what would've happened if they brought Keenan back for a second year in 2002, or if Laviolette was retained for 02 through 04 - do they match the regular season success, do they overcome the Habs in the first round each time? We'll never know.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Hiring Ftorek was a massive mistake and isn't given a big enough space in the narrative that was the mess that was the early 2000s Bruins.

As already mentioned in my previous post, Mike Keenan had Joe Thornton actually moving his feet and busting his ass in 2000-2001, which resulted in a career high in goals. He was on the path to reaching his potential as a net-crashing power forward. Keenan's hardass act has always broken down and pissed off Stars after 1 to 2 seasons everywhere he went, so maybe MOC/Sinden made the right call in cutting bait before things hit the fan, but passing up Laviolette (another demanding motivational coach) and going to a twice-failed country club players' coach in Ftorek was the start of Joe Thornton's slide into becoming a pass-first perimeter player.

I also think that they gave Sullivan the job a year or two too early as a direct panic response to the success Laviolette had on Long Island after they neglected to promote him from Providence.
You are spot on about Keenan and his effect on Thornton. Keenan knew how to get the most out of his best players. I remember reading about he used to tell Brian Leetch all the time he was no Chris Chelios, even though Keenan knew that Leetch was his best player. He turned Pronger into the force we knew him for when in St. Louis together. Keenan took that team mid-season and missed the playoffs by a tie-break to Carolina (88 pts. each). Can't say I was ever a Ftorek fan. His 2nd year was dreadful. Coincidentally I was at one of his final games as a Bruins coach on trade deadline day 2003 in Ottawa.

I found Sullivan was in over his head in 2004, just not enough coaching experience. And Julien took him to school in the playoffs. I found Sullivan's teams played soft then and still do now.

Sigh

At half mast
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
www.galenwestonjr.ca
O’Rielly has a special place because he was coach when I became a fan. Burns was another fav. But this is Clode all day. Cup winner, and his teams were always entertaining. Even if he used Greg Campbell as the extra skater….

Reactions: Gordoff and TCB

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Milbury was the first coach I can remember. The revolving coaching door of the 90s and early 2000s made it hard to liek any of the coaches. Julien was the came in and brought stability to the team and position that I hadn't seen in my lifetime. And of course the cup.

Can't decide is Kasper or Lewis was my least favorite coach.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Burns was the first one I remember. My rankings:

Julien
Burns
Cassidy
Monty
Sullivan
Ftorek
Keenan
Lewis