Who is your dark horse?

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
It's been a while since we've done this thread and life is slow, so here goes.

Among our prospects, who is your pick for:
1) Dark Horse to eventually become an NHL star?
2) Dark Horse to crack the roster and become a regular NHLer next season?

Bubba Pilks

Jun 21, 2019
Not a direct answer to your question but my dark horse Sens prospect is Maxence Guennette. 6'1 RHD. I watched a few Val D'or games and was impressed. Just a steady defenseman all around. Even when I was just boxscore watching, he'd often appear in the three stars without recording a point. I think he has a chance to make team Canada if there's a WJC this year.

Great 7th round pick last year.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
For dark horse star potential, I'm going Rudy Balcers. Guy has been very effective and gets his points and I think he has a lot more development in him. Might not be the flashiest star, but I think he has an outside chance. Plus, what name screams dark horse more than "Rudy" (roo-dee...Roo-Dee...ROO-DEE)

For cracking the roster next year, I'll say Davidsson. I think the injuries have hidden how good and dependable this guy can be.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
1. Brown - a lot of people seemingly writing him off at 22 after two very good first AHL seasons. Has top line talent just needs to mature as a player and stop, for the love of god, getting injured.

2. Lajoie - disappointing season but he's still young and could bounce back and be an NHL regular in a bottom pairing role

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
1. D Lo Brown
2. Al Formenton

Norris and Pinto are not dark horses, I see them both as top-9 NHLers at least, both are potentially top-6 calibre.

Reactions: StoicSensFan

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
1) Brown. We don't have many star talents in our organization to begin with. Brown is one of maybe 3 guys with that type of potential and he is pretty unlikely at this point to reach it

2) Jaros. Have you seen our RHD depth?

IamJust0ne

May 4, 2006
Jonathan Aspirot: Went from being an ECHL bound, undrafted, overage signing to a top 4 Dman on the best team in the AHL's Eastern conference. Passed Lajoie on the depth chart about halfway through the season and looked solid all year. Just turned 21 in May; wouldn't be surprised if he's one of the first call ups on the left side next year

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Rough times that Logan Brown can get consideration as a long shot now. I so hope that he makes it. I guess Hawryluk doesnt qualify as a prospect but im still intrigued by him. I have such hope for all our prospects i have a hard time considering them as dark horses. Maybe Parker Kelly would qualify as that for me.

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
1. D Lo Brown
2. Al Formenton

Norris and Pinto are not dark horses, I see them both as top-9 NHLers at least, both are potentially top-6 calibre.
I have Pinto as a darkhorse to become an NHL star. I guess it depends on how you define "star", such as a top 5 draft pick. I think Pinto will definitely be an NHL player but it would be quite something for him to be an "NHL star" so, to me, he is a darkhorse.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
1: Angus Crookshank
No reason other than his name

2: Vitali Abramov
People forget If Abramov didn’t get injured, he likely would’ve make the opening night roster last season. I think he’ll snatch one of Brown, Formenton or Norris’ spot next season.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
1. Daccord
2. Formenton

I am not sure if formenton is a dark horse but I think he is going to be a great player for the sens and the fans are going to love his abraisive style. I bet @aragorn loves him.

I see so many people voting Abramov, I really dont think he has any real future with what the sens have coming down the pipe and the draft.

Really like Daccord, reminds me of Quick. Has the right mind set, right pedigree and looks like a winner.

Reactions: aragorn

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I have Pinto as a darkhorse to become an NHL star. I guess it depends on how you define "star", such as a top 5 draft pick. I think Pinto will definitely be an NHL player but it would be quite something for him to be an "NHL star" so, to me, he is a darkhorse.

Need to see Pinto at the pro-level first of course before I can assess if the star potential is there against men. I think a two-way top-2 Centre is not too shabby, so my expectations are already high. But I love your enthusiasm - this guy was dumped upon for 2 mins after Dorion picked him. I have learned not to trust what Dorion says, but I rarely question his drafting.

Logan Brown is almost the forgotten man - he has the highest upside if he can play consistently as a big, playmaking centre. My dark horse.

Different styles, but Formenton could be our next Magnus "Tie don't hit me" Arvedsson but more physical.

Reactions: Sen sational

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I see so many people voting Abramov, I really dont think he has any real future with what the sens have coming down the pipe and the draft.

That by definition makes him a dark horse no?

I think the 19-20 AHL locks to have an NHL career in Ottawa (at least to start) are Batherson, Formenton, Norris and Brannstrom.

After that, i suppose you can get into degrees of dark horse. It won't surprise me at all to see Brown have a good career but at this point I'm no longer sure he's a lock. I wouldn't be shocked to see Abramov have a career also but he's a dark horse too, moreso with DJ being a size guy

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I don't know if star is the right word but I have confidence that Jayce Hawryluk can become a valued member of a winning team.

I believe that Joey Daccord will be an excellent NHL net minder but I suspect it will be in Seattle.

Reactions: Crosside

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad