Who is Washington's Biggest Rival?

stanleycaps18

I cheer for laundry
Jul 10, 2003
Chocolate City
washcaps.com
With the exception of the Easter Epic, I never really thought of the Isles as a rival. They were a dynasty and were just utterly better than everyone else. The series against the Flyers and against Pittsburgh felt more winnable; thus the rivalries.

Also, the Philly fans would come down to Cap Centre and be dicks, which really heightened the hate level.

I agree with this. The Caps first playoff series was against the Isles when they were at the end of their dynasty run. Beyond that and until this past playoff season, the two teams were generally at opposite ends of the relevance spectrum.

Philly fans storming DC (I remember one day when the Iggles and Skins played in Philly during the day and the Caps-Flyers played at night and there must have been about 3000 Philly fans, still in their Iggles crap starting fights everywhere) make the hatred worse, but their recent hard times put the Rags at the top of the list with Philly and Pitt interchanging with them among the top three.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Pittsburgh is our biggest rival, obviously, but you must be a spanking brand new Caps fan if you think the Rangers are #2. As bad as they've been recently, the Flyers are our second biggest rival, always have been, always will be (in fact for stretches of time in the past, they were our #1 rival, even eclipsing Pittsburgh).

No, rivalries can change. The Caps/Flyers rivalry was based on...events on the ice. As more events happen, more rivalries can be made.

It's not as if things that happened in the past matter more than things that happen in the present, but that is precisely what you are saying.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
80's - Flyers/Isles
90's - Pens
00's - Rangers/Pens

My personally most hated is the Pens. I WANT the road to our first Cup to go through the heart of that town.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
You guys need to read some history.

"Historically", it's was the Isles. They beat us...a lot...in the 80's. The Flyers were a terrific team during the regular season, but we always lost to the Isles.

The Pens took it to us as well....way before the Ovy/Crosby thing. Way before. So they are up there too.

But today? It has to the Rangers. They beat us 3 straight times in the playoffs. So that's the new demon.

But honestly-- since the early 80's, you can pick your poison between NYI/PHI/PIT/NYR. Hell, even the Devils have drawn blood.

For reference, over the years, losing in playoffs too:
Pittsburgh 7 times
NY Islanders 5 times
NY Rangers 4 times (last 3 total)
Philadelphia 2 times
Tampa Bay 2 times
NJ Devils 1 time
Montreal 1 time
Boston 1 time
Detroit 1 time

80's - Flyers/Isles
90's - Pens
00's - Rangers/Pens

My personally most hated is the Pens. I WANT the road to our first Cup to go through the heart of that town.

Yes.
80s - Isles due to playoff losses, though Flyers were ***** too.
90s - Pens due to playoff losses, though Flyers were ***** too.
00s - Pens for OV/Crosby rivalry, though Flyers were ***** too.
10s - Rags due to playoff losses, though Flyers are still *****.

So if we are talking all time I'd say, Pens. If we are talking recent, I'd say Rags. If we are talking, I hate that city because all my teams are rivals against that putrid city and they are awful, I'd say Philly.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The current competitive rivalry is clearly with the Rangers, and obviously there are many historical rivalries, but which teams do the players seem to hate the most, year in and year out?

For that it's got to be the Penguins. No matter who's in that sweater for either team, there is bad blood. You will rarely hear Caps players giving neutral answers about the Penguins unless they're on a gag order to avoid billboard material. They will flat out tell you "we don't like them".

Second in that regard is probably the Flyers. If not for Crosby coming along it might be closer.

JenniferH

Holts Did It
Nov 7, 2013
Georgia
The current competitive rivalry is clearly with the Rangers, and obviously there are many historical rivalries, but which teams do the players seem to hate the most, year in and year out?

For that it's got to be the Penguins. No matter who's in that sweater for either team, there is bad blood. You will rarely hear Caps players giving neutral answers about the Penguins unless they're on a gag order to avoid billboard material. They will flat out tell you "we don't like them".

Second in that regard is probably the Flyers. If not for Crosby coming along it might be closer.
This, I think, is the best answer.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
With the exception of the Easter Epic, I never really thought of the Isles as a rival. They were a dynasty and were just utterly better than everyone else. The series against the Flyers and against Pittsburgh felt more winnable; thus the rivalries.

Also, the Philly fans would come down to Cap Centre and be dicks, which really heightened the hate level.

Caps only overlapped the Isles Dynasty once (their first playoff series ever, was a loss to that last Islanders winner).

Interestingly enough, there were only 2 years that the Isles were a higher seed. That 82 and 83 seasons (both losses). The other losses (and wins) were as the Caps as a higher seed....so Caps are 2-3 vs the Isles as the favourite.

Pretty bad.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
That's a good point about the Philly invasions. It's hard to explain how much it sucked watching the Caps lose to the Flyers at home when the crowd was almost 50/50, and the Flyers fans were louder. Those are the memories hatred is made of.

That hasn't happened since the Caps started winning in the Ovie era, so it's hard to get as worked up about the Rangers. As suck as it is losing to them, at least they don't steal our home team advantage.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Caps only overlapped the Isles Dynasty once (their first playoff series ever, was a loss to that last Islanders winner).

Interestingly enough, there were only 2 years that the Isles were a higher seed. That 82 and 83 seasons (both losses). The other losses (and wins) were as the Caps as a higher seed....so Caps are 2-3 vs the Isles as the favourite.

Pretty bad.

Yeah, you're right. I just remember the Philly hate so much more. Maybe it's the fans. Maybe the hugeness of the 32's goal. Then Pitt took over and became most hated.

Caps Circle

Jan 19, 2015
Chantilly, VA
I guess I haven't been to enough Flyers games lately. I've only been to 2 or 3 in my life and last one was in the playoffs.

That being said, I go to as many Rags and Pens games as I can, which is probably why I have those two as my most hated teams lol.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
More interesting question is who will be their biggest challenge in the East in the playoffs this year. The rest of the East right now is a slug-like, gooey mess. I think Montreal would be their biggest obstacle with a healthy Price back. Other than that, I guess I would rank them:

1. Montreal (with Price back)
2. NYRangers (with no injuries)
3. Tampa
4. NY Islanders
5. Florida

Todos a la Calle

Mar 30, 2015
Mexico City
I think I hate Tampa more than anyone else. (Beyond Pittsburgh at least)

For some reason ... I can't drum up that much animosity for the Rangers. Maybe because of Henrik? And I must confess, I kind of like Zuccarello too.

I hate the Flyers when we play them. But generally root for them against Metro teams -- it's fun watching other fanbases get angry.

But yeah, Pens are #1 still.

CapInSask

Jan 22, 2014
Moose Jaw, Sask
I think that we forgot somewhat because they haven't been that good as of late, but I think the rivalry between the Caps and Flyers has more hatred that with the Pens or the Rags.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
More interesting question is who will be their biggest challenge in the East in the playoffs this year. The rest of the East right now is a slug-like, gooey mess. I think Montreal would be their biggest obstacle with a healthy Price back. Other than that, I guess I would rank them:

1. Montreal (with Price back)
2. NYRangers (with no injuries)
3. Tampa
4. NY Islanders
5. Florida

I would agree with 2, mainly because I think Lundquist had the ability to win a couple of games by himself more than other goalies not named Price. Although I would add Detroit 3, and then NYI T4 w/TB. Boston 6. Florida 7

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I think I hate Tampa more than anyone else. (Beyond Pittsburgh at least)

For some reason ... I can't drum up that much animosity for the Rangers. Maybe because of Henrik? And I must confess, I kind of like Zuccarello too.

I hate the Flyers when we play them. But generally root for them against Metro teams -- it's fun watching other fanbases get angry.

But yeah, Pens are #1 still.

I think the chance was there for the caps/lightning to have a good rivalry if they stayed in the same division. For too many years one of them was down. But for a while I thought something big could have developed. I think it will never happen now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad