Who is Washington's Biggest Rival?

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I feel like I want to say the Rangers because of the way they beaten us up the past handful of years but it's really always going to be the Pens no matter what. Caps-Pens is like Redskins-Cowboys Duke-Carolina etc.

Jun 15, 2007
Ranger hate is ephemeral. It will dissipate over time when we beat them or when they are no longer relevant.

Penguin hate is eternal. They could be the worst team in the world and I'd still hate them.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Pittsburgh is our biggest rival, obviously, but you must be a spanking brand new Caps fan if you think the Rangers are #2. As bad as they've been recently, the Flyers are our second biggest rival, always have been, always will be (in fact for stretches of time in the past, they were our #1 rival, even eclipsing Pittsburgh).

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I feel like I want to say the Rangers because of the way they beaten us up the past handful of years but it's really always going to be the Pens no matter what. Caps-Pens is like Redskins-Cowboys Duke-Carolina etc.

You mean Duke-Maryland, obviously.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Its the Penguins. The Rangers hold the same stature as the Lightning have and where the Islanders might return to with another playoff round. The Flyers are still above the Rags, Bolts and Sticks though.

I spend money to go to a Hurricanes game so I can route against the Penguins

Last edited:

Melskiloco

Oct 16, 2015
For me...

Pitt
Philly
Rongos

The rest...although I like beating the Hawks cause the wife is a Chicago fan...

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Caps fan for a long time, and I definitely think the Rags have passed thr Flyers for #2. It may switch back at some point, but I'd be shocked if the current players didn't feel the Rags were the bigger rival.

Sep 19, 2008
Caps fan for a long time, and I definitely think the Rags have passed thr Flyers for #2. It may switch back at some point, but I'd be shocked if the current players didn't feel the Rags were the bigger rival.

I was thinking more short term and not long term, you could make an argument for Philly long term but short term Philly has been so awful that we don't bother with their ****

I would probably put Penguins Rangers and Philly in that order simply based by the raucous nature of the crowd whenever any of the three come to town.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I just think the flyers thing can get ignited so easily. the whole emery holtby bs was when? nothing like that has happened v the rangers

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Pens, not close. Couple the pre Ovie era playoff battles (and inevitable Caps losses) with the Crosby-Ovie rivalry, and it's an easy choice.

There was a time in the 80s and 90s when Philly would have been my answer, but the lack of playoff matchups and general ineffectiveness of the Flyers has taken a big toll on that rivalry.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
You guys need to read some history.

"Historically", it's was the Isles. They beat us...a lot...in the 80's. The Flyers were a terrific team during the regular season, but we always lost to the Isles.

The Pens took it to us as well....way before the Ovy/Crosby thing. Way before. So they are up there too.

But today? It has to the Rangers. They beat us 3 straight times in the playoffs. So that's the new demon.

But honestly-- since the early 80's, you can pick your poison between NYI/PHI/PIT/NYR. Hell, even the Devils have drawn blood.

For reference, over the years, losing in playoffs too:
Pittsburgh 7 times
NY Islanders 5 times
NY Rangers 4 times (last 3 total)
Philadelphia 2 times
Tampa Bay 2 times
NJ Devils 1 time
Montreal 1 time
Boston 1 time
Detroit 1 time

Last edited:

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
You guys need to read some history.

"Historically", it's was the Isles. They beat us...a lot...in the 80's. The Flyers were a terrific team during the regular season, but we always lost to the Isles.

The Pens took it to us as well....way before the Ovy/Crosby thing. Way before. So they are up there too.

But today? It has to the Rangers. They beat us 3 straight times in the playoffs. So that's the new demon.

But honestly-- since the early 80's, you can pick your poison between NYI/PHI/PIT/NYR. Hell, even the Devils have drawn blood.

For reference, over the years, losing in playoffs too:
Pittsburgh 7 times
NY Islanders 5 times
NY Rangers 4 times (last 3 total)
Philadelphia 2 times
Tampa Bay 2 times
NJ Devils 1 time
Montreal 1 time
Boston 1 time
Detroit 1 time

With the exception of the Easter Epic, I never really thought of the Isles as a rival. They were a dynasty and were just utterly better than everyone else. The series against the Flyers and against Pittsburgh felt more winnable; thus the rivalries.

Also, the Philly fans would come down to Cap Centre and be dicks, which really heightened the hate level.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
in terms of players hating each other i voted the rangers. to often u can see players doing a bid extra work after the whistles. although this can change very quick with a heavy roster rotation.

also malkin and ovy not hating each other anymore and the caps played them only once in the playoffs(in the ao era- since i became a fan). its somewat difficult to see them as rival.

of course from a fan perspective i dont live in na so i cant really visit the games and get a "feeling" for the hate between fans.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Pitt, I hate those guys no matter where they are in the standings. The rags and flyers go back and forth depending on who is better and who we are struggling with. Right now the rags are #2

JenniferH

Holts Did It
Nov 7, 2013
Georgia
I didn't look at it historically, obviously Pens is the first thing that came to mind, but right now, it's the Rangers. Sure, that could flip and it'll totally go back to Pens. But right now and for the last couple of seasons (because of POs and because we can't beat them as often and as easily) it's the Rags.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad