Who is the Sharks best all around player

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Marleau hasn't made a meaningful contribution in the first round since the last time they played Nashville.

Come on, I'm probably one of Marleau's biggest critics on here and I know he has contributed a bunch since then. It's just been too few and far between.

Hopefully DeBoer will light a fire under his ass again. I still believe Ron Wilson is the worst coach in Sharks history but the one thing he did right was he got the most out of Marleau. TMac didn't do this and his play has declined considerably since then.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
I am pretty sure 5 points in 4 games. 4 of them being goals. 1 of thise goals being a game winning goals which also was a series clinching goal. Would be counted as meaningful.

5 points in 4 games is just, like, your opinion, man.

;)

WineShark

Nov 19, 2006
Napa Valley, CA
1. Pavelski
2. Thornton
3. Couture

What I really wish is there was somebody that I could call an all-around player who plays with edge and physicality when needed. The team really has lacked that player absent Torres - for some time. And of course Torres wouldn't be in a top 5 either.

Thornton's defense with the stick gives me pause to put him at the top. It's hard to complain about his assists and takeaways .... people focus on assists and wrongly complain about defense but the guy gets back and back checks pretty consistently.

Couture had an iffy year last, but he'll come back. The guy gives up his body on the PK on blocks consistently and we know he can score.

Have to otherwise put Pavelski at the top. He can score, assist, play special teams and is a good defensive player. He stands up for himself and seems to have the best leadership skills.

Obvious omission of Marleau. The man can play when he wants, but his speed is diminishing or he isn't using it. Either way, he can't be in the top list of all-around players.

Sad I can't find a defensive player to put in the list. Vlassic is closest. At this point in his career, I expected him to be more on the scoreboard. Maybe this is the year he delivers more offense?

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Because Corsi is the only stat that matters right...
#1 in Corsi means Stanley Cup every time!

Don't act the fool. Corsi is one of the more important stats, as we now know puck possession is one of the few metrics that reliably translates to wins, including in the playoffs. Cup winners these days rank high on the Corsi list, often right near the top. Having Joe is a major, major benefit to the team, and we can hardly do better than to have him. Of course anyone watching the games with a modicum of intellect and integrity sees that in his play. There are few players in the league that drive play like him.

The problem is how the rest of the team stacks up on the list. The Sharks these days routinely end up behind the top teams in team corsi. There is only one player who you literally cannot attribute that to in any way, and it's Jumbo.

Last edited:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Don't act the fool. Corsi is one of the more important stats, as we now know puck possession is one of the few metrics that reliably translates to wins, including in the playoffs. Cup winners these days rank high on the Corsi list, often right near the top. Having Joe is a major, major benefit to the team, and we can hardly do better than to have him. Of course anyone watching the games with a modicum of intellect and integrity sees that in his play. There are few players in the league that drive play like him.

The problem is how the rest of the team stacks up on the list. The Sharks these days routinely end up behind the top teams in team corsi. There is only one player who you literally cannot attribute that to in any way, and it's Jumbo.

Yeah, thorntons possession numbers last year was 58.something %. The teams possession numbers (including thornton) was 48.something %.

That is not good at all.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Yeah, thorntons possession numbers last year was 58.something %. The teams possession numbers (including thornton) was 48.something %.

That is not good at all.

And this thread is about who the Sharks best all-around player is. It's not even debatable. Thornton is one of the best in the league, let alone the Sharks, and he is easily better than Pavelski, which shows how good he is.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Thornton was #6 in the league in giveaways too. That actually makes it oddly more impressive. :laugh:

Of course, the top-5 giveaway monsters of the league were…

1 Subban
2 Tavares
3 Burns
4 E. Karlsson
5 Wideman

oyster

Jan 19, 2011
Regularseason.

Correction: that's Two Words.

For all the **** he gets around the Sharks community it's going to be a sad day when he moves on. It's likely to be a while before we have another player of his ilk on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad